Kawasaki ZRX1200R Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance28000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleYamaha XTZ660

Nothing.

General Comments:

Perfect bike for me.

Review Date: 21st March, 2009

2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United States of America

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2002
First year of ownership2005
Most recent year of ownership2008
Distance when acquired1950 miles
Previous motorcycleKawasaki VN800A

Summary:

The ZREX is like an old trusted friend that always knows how to make you smile

No mechanical issues, other than general maintenance.

General Comments:

This bike is a wonderful commuter and has served me well. It doesn't matter if you are riding two up or on your own, it will do the job quite nicely. I have only needed to make minor modifications to it, taller windscreen, mirror extenders, and rear peg extenders for my wife to be a bit more comfortable.

My only knock on the bike is the stock seat. It took a few thousand miles for the seat to wear into my rear end enough to make it not fall asleep on rides longer than 50 miles.

The power of this bike is really all that 90% of most riders will ever need in the real world. Tons of torque that starts at very low RPM's and continues well into the upper power-band. It really has a lot of power. The only bikes that would smoke the the ZREX are the hyper-bikes of the world like the busa and upper level ninjas and R-1's. But, in my opinion this bike counters the lack of that kind of speed by its all around utility.

Its not a home run power hitter, but it is that guy in the lineup that will get you a hit every time you really need, year after year.

As far as the suspension goes, I am not the corner hugging canyon carver type, but I have never felt this bike wouldn't do exactly what I ask it to. Confident and competent are very good words to describe it.

Just like so many other Kawasaki engines, this thing is nearly bullet proof. No problems at all. just change the oil (go with a full synth for the smoothest shifting) and change the tires when they wear out.

As far as the styling goes, the retro look is not for everyone, but if you are into that sort of bike, then nothing comes closer to the old sport standards than the ZREX. If this machine were available in 1982, it would have been outlawed by the insurance companies.

By the way, the Blue ones are faster than all the other colors. :)

Review Date: 30th May, 2008

2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United Kingdom

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2004
First year of ownership2006
Most recent year of ownership2007
Most recent distance2000 miles

Summary:

No sports bike, but awesome in its own way

No faults at all.

General Comments:

Very quick bike, but a little heavy.

Great for distance riding.

You gotta fit a FUEL can, as the sound is awesome.

A lot quicker than the XJR1300 that I traded in for it. It handles better too.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2007

2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United Kingdom

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2003
First year of ownership2007
Most recent year of ownership2007
Previous motorcycleHonda VFR750

Summary:

Very good road bike

Chain wore out.

General Comments:

I chopped in my 20 year old VFR750 to buy this bike for £4300.

It was four years old, but a brief test ride pressed all the right buttons with me.

I've had it for 3 months and 5,000 miles now, so feel qualified to comment on it.

I use my bike as main transport, it takes me the 70 mile round trip to/from work each day, come rain or shine.

It is a torque monster, will pull cleanly from tickover to the red line, and is surprisingly economical.

Following my usual modifications (taller screen, panniers, heated grips, power for the heated waistcoat), I find it very comfy and easy to ride.

It is no sports machine, go into a corner too fast and the standard suspension lets you know all about it.

But ride it smoothly and sensibly, and the rewards are fantastic, 52mpg.

Mine is the S variant with the half fairing, there is surprisingly little protection from the wind on your hands.

It is very reliable, and given a handful, the acceleration is phenomenal.

The original Continental RoadAttack tyres fell apart very quickly, and have been replaced with Dunlop D220 touring tyres, which grip well and have given me no problems in the 1000 miles I have so far used them.

I will update this report as time passes and the miles rise.

Review Date: 17th May, 2007

25th Nov 2007, 06:23

I'm up to 24,250 miles now.

Rear tyres last 5k and cost £100 fitted, fronts 10K £90.

So doing 20k miles per year was going to cost £600 in tyres alone!

So I bought a cheap 500cc commuter hack to pile the miles on and preserve my 'nice' bike for when the sun shines.

My only 'complaint' is that the bike is just too fast.

A moments concentration lapse on the motorway can see you doing speeds likely to get you locked up.

Stay on the A roads and take it easy.