2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United Kingdom

Summary:

No sports bike, but awesome in its own way

No faults at all.

General Comments:

Very quick bike, but a little heavy.

Great for distance riding.

You gotta fit a FUEL can, as the sound is awesome.

A lot quicker than the XJR1300 that I traded in for it. It handles better too.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2007

2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United Kingdom

Summary:

Very good road bike

Chain wore out.

General Comments:

I chopped in my 20 year old VFR750 to buy this bike for £4300.

It was four years old, but a brief test ride pressed all the right buttons with me.

I've had it for 3 months and 5,000 miles now, so feel qualified to comment on it.

I use my bike as main transport, it takes me the 70 mile round trip to/from work each day, come rain or shine.

It is a torque monster, will pull cleanly from tickover to the red line, and is surprisingly economical.

Following my usual modifications (taller screen, panniers, heated grips, power for the heated waistcoat), I find it very comfy and easy to ride.

It is no sports machine, go into a corner too fast and the standard suspension lets you know all about it.

But ride it smoothly and sensibly, and the rewards are fantastic, 52mpg.

Mine is the S variant with the half fairing, there is surprisingly little protection from the wind on your hands.

It is very reliable, and given a handful, the acceleration is phenomenal.

The original Continental RoadAttack tyres fell apart very quickly, and have been replaced with Dunlop D220 touring tyres, which grip well and have given me no problems in the 1000 miles I have so far used them.

I will update this report as time passes and the miles rise.

Review Date: 17th May, 2007

25th Nov 2007, 06:23

I'm up to 24,250 miles now.

Rear tyres last 5k and cost £100 fitted, fronts 10K £90.

So doing 20k miles per year was going to cost £600 in tyres alone!

So I bought a cheap 500cc commuter hack to pile the miles on and preserve my 'nice' bike for when the sun shines.

My only 'complaint' is that the bike is just too fast.

A moments concentration lapse on the motorway can see you doing speeds likely to get you locked up.

Stay on the A roads and take it easy.

2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from Australia

Summary:

Top of the range Muscle-bike for the experienced rider

Nothing has gone wrong with this fine machine.

General Comments:

This would have to be the best muscle-bike on the market.

The instant power and superb handling make it very comfortable to ride. The front suspension could be a little firmer, however.

The seat is wide and well padded, making long trips a breeze.

I have added a slightly taller screen to reduce buffeting.

The bike is fitted with a Giannelli exhaust can, and a Dynojet kit.

There is an huge quantity of aftermarket bits available.

I have owned a number of fast bikes over the years, but this bike scores top marks for all round use. It is equally at home as a commuter or fun bike.

The cost of ownership is about average for its class.

I would not recommend this bike to beginners, as it is relatively heavy, and powerful. It is very easy to spin the back wheel or pop a mono.

Review Date: 17th November, 2006

2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United States of America

Summary:

My ZRX1200R is without any doubt, the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden, including a BMW K1200RS

This bike has been flawless so far. As a matter of fact, it has been so good it is kind of scary.

General Comments:

I came from a 1985 Suzuki GS1150E, which was a seriously quick motorcycle.

The REX is serious as a heart attack quick, handles effortlessly and with confidence way beyond my capabilities.

This bike is very forgiving. A little push or pull at the bars on the wrong line in a corner and you're on the right line.

How great is that??!

Review Date: 20th October, 2006

2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from Canada

Summary:

Best bike on the market

The only problem I have had is the spark plug wires rattled loose and there was a loss of power. You've got to every now and then take off the fuel tank and check them, it is super easy. From reading other peoples experiences, this is common with this bike.

General Comments:

This is an amazing bike. No matter where I take it people stare at it. It is so much fun to ride, it has amazing power. For the price you cannot find a better 1200 cc superbike.

The suspension is fully adjustable, and the bike is set up for super easy maintenance. The handling is very good, it's not like rocket style handling, it takes more effort. I'm 190lbs and I can throw it around wherever I want. One thing I really notice is as the fuel goes down the handling gets a lot better/easier. So obviously an extra few pounds would make this bike perfect.

Also I have rode this bike for over 1000 kms in one day and I was fine. Try doing that on a crotch rocket. Plus the underseat storage is excellent. I wouldn't buy a crotch rocket if I had a choice.

Review Date: 7th January, 2005

7th Nov 2005, 05:35

I took possession of a new ZRX1200R recently and I couldn't believe that one can get so much bike for so little money. It "rested" for 3 weeks in the garage because there was no real opportunity to ride it.

Not so during the weekend of 5 November 2005, when my wife and I decided to take a ride to the Eastern Transvaal (South Africa). This part of South Africa is notorious for its twists and bends. With two up, the bike handled very well and acceleration out of corners excellent. On the long stretches (150 km of freeway between Belfast and Pretoria) the bike showed that it can run for kilometers on end at high speeds.

Excellent bike!