2008 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from New Zealand

Summary:

Good fun value for money, if you buy new, or low mileage, good condition second hand

Flat batteries.

General Comments:

A little bundle of fun. Plenty of power to cruise in the 100-110 kilometer per hour range. Will top out about 135-145 kilometers per hour.

Braking isn't high tech, but what do you expect from eighties technology. Handles well enough for a sixty eight year old. The OE IRC rear tyre is poor and should be replaced by a better brand as soon as it wears out.

They are something of a butt rivetter, I use an Airhawk seat pad. I've ridden 600 kilometers in one day despite this.

SuzukiSavage.com is very useful if you are doing your own maintenance. I've never touched, or had the servicing dealer touch the chain tensioner. It's light to push backwards into your garage.

It's apparently the least stolen bike in America.

Despite Suzuki's attempts to attract young people, most riders on SuzukiSavage.com are fifty year old plus males.

Review Date: 8th October, 2017

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from Canada

Summary:

Cheap crap foisted on the unknowing

Batteries die young.

Warped brake discs.

Bent brackets from the factory.

General Comments:

An accident waiting to happen. The front end does the "chopper flop" at any time, causing endless lowsides. DO NOT SELL TO NEW RIDERS; they will crash.

Would you buy another motorcycle from this manufacturer? No

Review Date: 2nd September, 2017

29th Sep 2017, 05:21

If you got a 'lemon' from the factory, well, that sucks. But to trash this great bike because of one bad incident (which, by the way, happens to ALL manufacturers now and then), is just making you look unreasonable, since so many experienced and knowledgeable people, including all the major bike mags recommend it and give it high praise for value, performance and reliability. You should get another one or do some reading or hold your tongue, because your review is certainly not convincing anyone...

10th Feb 2018, 18:23

What are you people doing wrong? I have ridden and owned several of these bikes and have never experienced this "chopper flop" that I keep reading about. Are you trying to text with one hand while adjusting the mirrors with the other hand, or what???

The same for those who claim that the bike will only run 70mph. You people do know that the bike isn't a 3 speed, right? At 70 mph you have two more gears left to use.

10th Jun 2018, 16:37

My sentiments exactly, don't judge everything on one bike. You are probably a beginner or you wouldn't be so harsh on a quality machine.

Mike

2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from United States of America

Summary:

Best starter bike available - nimble city bike too!

Nothing.

General Comments:

It's the best starter bike out there, as it is light, handles well, and is freeway-capable for short periods.

It handles well on gravel roads - I always wanted to flat-track it.

My wife did a 380-mile day on it, then decided she needed a bigger bike. No Sportster for her! (like I ride) - instead, she traded for a C50. I miss this bike.

Review Date: 11th December, 2015

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from United States of America

Summary:

This is a nice little bike for the price

After a 25 year break I decided to get another motorcycle. The S40 brought back all the memories of how fun a motorcycle is. This was the perfect size to relearn all the basic riding skills. Enough power to keep up on the interstate, but not much bigger than a 250cc.

The bike does have a few weak spots, though. One was the seat. About 100 miles was all I could take of it at one time. I bought some rigid foam from the hardware store, and shaped and contoured it with a heat gun and sander. I took the seat apart and inserted it between the seat pan and foam. Not only did this make it much more comfortable, it also raised the seating position about 1 1/2", let me sit further back on the seat, and gave me more leg room.

I also changed the rear shocks for a smoother ride and a little more travel, changed the vacuum petcock for a manual one, and replaced the cam chain tensioner with a much more reliable one.

General Comments:

I occasionally think about trading it in on a different bike, but its light weight makes it so easy to ride. And, the single cylinder makes it very easy to maintain. Plus, it just looks so good. I'm totally happy with it after the slight modifications.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2015