2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from Canada

Summary:

Great city and back road bike that can still take on the highway

Nothing.

General Comments:

Pros:

Very light bike.

Decent gas mileage, averaged 47.5 MPG on a recent highway trip and have got as high as 61 MPG (U.S. gallons).

Probably the easiest bike to ride I have ridden, and I have owned 14 motorcycles.

Very easy to service.

Cons:

No trip meter.

Speedo on the gas tank.

Rear suspension could use another inch or two of travel.

Overall a good bike. The idle mixture is too lean from the factory, but easily fixed. Re-jetting the carb makes the bike accelerate better and run a bit smoother. The bike looks sharp with its huge single cylinder. It will hit 80 mph fairly soon, but you are approaching its limit. Consistent speeds of 70 mph are no problem. At 55-60 the motor feels as though it is at a fast idle, just putting along, but crack the throttle and you are up to 75 with no effort.

Plenty of low RPM torque due to the long stroke. You don't have to shift up and down much in traffic. It corners very well for a bike that is "cruiser" styled.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2015

21st Jun 2015, 18:07

I have owned my 2005 Suzuki S40 (with low miles) for a few months now. I have also owned several motorcycles (some larger and smaller). I couldn't agree more with this review. It performs much better than you might expect considering some lukewarm reviews on the net. It's powerful for most driving, and with a pipe change, it sounds amazing (think 60s BSAs and other Brit singles). It has decent ground clearance and with its somewhat short wheel base, it handles very good. Alas, if you happen to be a male rider, please change those baby bars and put some bobber style bars on that thing! I love this bike!

28th Apr 2016, 05:19

The little S40 really reminds me of the British singles as well. There is a definite "wow" factor with the big jug sitting out there for the world to see. I think Harley would do well to dust off their old blue prints of the Knuckle Head and make a single using one of those jugs with a bit more bore.

8th Sep 2017, 02:08

I thought of something like that - more like the old sport single application with long-term quality.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from Australia

Just be aware that when you by a brand new, out of the showroom bike, the warranty that comes with them is not worth the paper it's printed on.

I purchased myself the LS650 Boulevard S40, and after doing just 800 klm the clutch failed half way through my licence test (only 3 weeks from purchase).

Returned it to the dealer, only to find they say I have a burnt out clutch and Suzuki will not warrant it. I just find it hard to believe after 3 weeks and 800 km a clutch can do this. Ohh well, nearly 650 bucks out of pocket.

Would you buy another motorcycle from this manufacturer? No

Review Date: 28th February, 2015

15th Mar 2015, 02:02

Read the paperwork; the clutch is a wear item, not a manufacturer defect.

2nd Apr 2015, 11:15

It becomes a wear item after only 800km, are you serious?

3rd May 2015, 03:11

Be careful what type of oil you use. A lot of oils have friction modifiers in them that will destroy a wet clutch very quickly. Rotella 15-40 is a good motorcycle oil, even though it is often used for diesel engines. It has ZZP and is JASO MA rated.

30th Sep 2016, 06:08

Oils with friction modifiers won't destroy the clutch. The friction modifiers will make the clutch slip. From what I have read of riders who have experienced this, changing the oil to motorcycle specific oil - or oil without friction modifiers - will soon return the clutch to normal operation.

Another possibility could be that the learner rider was incredibly over zealous using the clutch.