Suzuki VS1400 Intruder Reviews - Page 4 of 6

Year of manufacture2003
First year of ownership2006
Most recent year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired2000 miles

Summary:

Awesome MC that has little to no maintenance needed

Nothing has gone wrong... Knock on wood. Just the normal wear and tear, and tune ups.

General Comments:

Was a little weary about my purchase originally, but have not regretted it a day since my purchase. The bike still gets compliments all the time, to include HD riders. My wife has an 800 Intruder and she gets the same.

Ample power at speed when needed to avoid hazards or pass vehicles, and great gas mileage.

A funny note, unless another rider is hardcore HD enthusiast, I get asked if it's a Harley quite often. Best choice I made.

Review Date: 13th July, 2012

Most recent year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired6400 kilometres
Most recent distance8600 kilometres
Previous motorcycleSuzuki VS1400 Intruder

Summary:

I would recommend it

My one concern is that the gas tank is too small (14L) for a 1500 cc engine.

General Comments:

I had the 1400 Intruder, a cruiser, which was quicker and more responsive, but not comfortable for longer trips, and when riding 2-up, I ended up on the gas tank.

The 1500 touring is much more comfortable, and seems to get better gas mileage. As an experiment, I ran it dry and got 275 km (170 miles) to the tank.

Handles well and very responsive to the throttle.

Passengers are more comfortable, but did comment that the foot pegs were not in the optimum position.

I have received many compliments on its looks.

Review Date: 7th May, 2012

11th May 2012, 14:08

I agree. We have the 1500, and I ride as the passenger. Took a 3 hours ride to Leesburg Fl this past April, and I was not comfortable at all. The vibration did a number on my lower back. I got a Royal Riding cushion on the trip back, and it was better. Need the the foot pegs replaced though with the passenger foot boards. May make a difference.

2003 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder from United States of America

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2003
First year of ownership2008
Distance when acquired12000 miles
Previous motorcycleHonda GL1500C Valkyrie

Summary:

All around a great bike

I have had to replace the battery. Just not a big deal.

The clutch springs caused clutch slippage. I bought new "Designer" springs and fixed that.

General Comments:

I traded a 1999 Honda Valkyrie for this 2003 Suzuki Intruder 1400. It was a good trade. I traded because I started commuting back and forth to work on the motorcycle, and the gas mileage on the Valkyrie was killing me. When I rode the Intruder home for the first time, I knew that I had made a great decision. The Intruder has tons of torque, the V-twin feels right, and it cruises down the interstate effortlessly. The gas mileage is twice that of the Valkyrie.

When I bought this bike, it was used and completely stock. I have added CM2 drag pipes, re-adjusted the mixture screws and added Designer clutch springs. I also added engine guards and highway pegs. No bags or windshield for me thanks. Now it's pretty close to perfect. The last time I counted, I had owned 32 motorcycles in my life. Of those three were Harleys, one was a Triumph, and the rest were metric bikes. I'm not sure that I would go as far as to say that this is the best bike that I have ever owned, but I really like it. It's in the top five.

The 1400 engine is pretty big for the overall size of the bike. It pulls hard, real hard. I've never drag raced it, but I personally feel like it would hold its own with the Valkyrie.

The one thing about this bike that is it's biggest shortcoming is that it sucks to be a passenger on this thing. My wife hates the short backrest, and refuses to ride for more than a couple of miles on this thing. I however, riding solo, have ridden 400 miles a day with no issues.

Compared to the Valkyrie or a Harley, the suspension is soft. Not dangerously soft, but softer than other makes. For an old guy like me, it's a good thing. I can still push it through the mountains with no trouble.

Review Date: 1st January, 2012