Suzuki VS1400 Intruder Reviews - Page 4 of 5

Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous motorcycleYamaha XV1100 Virago

Summary:

A very fast and loud bike

The fuel petcock had a recall. This was issued after I had replaced it myself.

General Comments:

I call this bike Godzilla. It is a Japanese monster.

It has 2" drag pipes and jet kit. The baffles are in my basement.

Review Date: 19th May, 2011

1987 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder from United States of America

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleKawasaki Vulcan EN500

Summary:

Great looking bike

Everything that has gone wrong since I have had it has been wear and tear.

General Comments:

I love this bike; it has a slight chopper look, while still being easy to handle.

It has great acceleration from the stop, and very good roll on power.

I have a friend who has a 1992 with the pull back handlebars. Mine has the flat bars, which I think are better for parking lot maneuvers.

It always gets positive comments from people when I ride or park in a public area.

I love the bike, and the look of the bike.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2010

2003 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder from United States of America

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2003
First year of ownership2006
Most recent year of ownership2009
Previous motorcycleHonda GL1500C Valkyrie

Summary:

A modern day chopper made reliable

Nothing has gone wrong with this bike that can be attributed to the bike. I did buy a tire and the installer pinched the inner tube. It had a slow leak and I had to replace that, which I did myself at home. But, this bike has never had a mechanical issue at all.

General Comments:

This bike looks really great. I prefer the chopper look, and this is as close as you will get from Japan.

The big 1400cc engine makes more than enough power for the size and weight of the bike. I ride with guys who have bigger V-twin engines, and I can still make them eat my dust. I will say that I have added a set of Santee drag pipes and the sound of the bike has improved over the stock mufflers. I never cared for the stock sound of the VS1400 pipes. The Cobra slip-ons have a nice sound also.

The seating position of the bike is good for me. I am 6'2 and find that I can ride this bike all day. I should mention that my bike still has the stock seat, which I find to be perfectly suitable. I had a Virago with a similar looking seat, but it was horrible. This seat works.

The suspension is a shade soft. That is not a bad thing out on the interstate. It's not bad for cruising through the mountains as long as you just let the sport bikes pass you.

The brakes will stop you. But, typical for Suzuki cruisers, they squeak. I have a buddy with a 1500 Intruder and his squeak just like mine. It's a Suzuki thing.

I traded a Honda Valkyrie in for this bike, because I wanted a V-twin and the gas mileage was terrible on the Honda. To most people's surprise, I actually prefer this bike over the Valkyrie. The VS1400 is a bike that allows me to kick back and really enjoy a day in the mountains. Everything about the VS says lay back and enjoy the day.

I have owned about 25 motorcycles in 35 years of riding. Although none of them were perfect, this one suits my personality really well. It's got what I need when I need it and does it with no complaints.

Review Date: 14th October, 2009

22nd Nov 2010, 15:06

About the brake squeak. There is a very simple cure. Take out the pads and file a 45 degree champher (angle) on the leading edge. I always file the leading edge when I install new pads or if they begin to squeak, and in my experience, this solves it.

11th Apr 2011, 02:48

I agree with the file a 45 degree champher trick. Every bike I have owned, when I replaced pads or shoes, I filed a generous angle on the leading edge.

I don't have to now though, because my high frequency hearing is stuffed, and I can't hear the squeal. As I found out when my son in-law was on the back and mentioned my squeaky brakes. What squeaky brakes?