2009 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United States of America

None.

General Comments:

Aside from the seat and the small capacity of the gas tank, it is the perfect bike as far as I'm concerned. Will try the 1600 next.

Review Date: 30th October, 2009

2001 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United States of America

Summary:

A unique looking ride that comes alive with a few aftermarket changes

Nothing.

General Comments:

Bought for my wife. Handsome bike. Possibly a bit too much chrome, but it does offset the blue color well.

Bike has some excellent aftermarket mods; Vance & Hines pipes, rejet of carbs, head polish and aftermarket air cleaner and a Corbin seat.

I do have to say that this bike is not blinding fast, but will run with my '06 1200 sporty and actually pulls harder in the higher rpms. Performance really surprised some of my HD faithful buddies. It is a unique looking, quick ride. Very low maintenance.

I like riding it to work better than my sporty. More agile in traffic, and the Corbin seat is mucho comforto, even on longer rides. Heck, thinking of offing the sporty to buy a new M 50. Suzuki is on to something here.

Review Date: 26th October, 2008

17th Apr 2016, 19:51

Good afternoon. I would like to know what size jets or jet kit did you use on the carbs? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much, Mike Garcia.

2001 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United States of America

Summary:

A true joy to own and ride

Nothing.

General Comments:

A fun and easy bike to ride.

The stock seat needs to be replaced with an after market or Suzuki gel seat if it can still be found for long rides.

I have owned this bike for seven years now, and it is solid as a rock to this day. My wife and I ride this bike around 2000 miles every year, and we have had some great times with it.

In seven years of ownership I have had no issues with it, start it and ride. The only maintenance that has been performed is routine oil, tires, chain lube, and batteries.

This bike only weighs 450 pounds dry, so power to weight is very good. The light weight and low seat makes handling good and easy on beginning riders.

I would change the front sprocket from the stock 15 tooth to a 16 or 17 tooth. You can do this for cheap, and still retain the stock chain and back sprocket. The results on the road is a small loss of starting power, but the 805cc mill is far less busy at 65 to 75 miles per hour.

Bottom line, I may own another bike, but I will keep this bike until me or it dies.

Review Date: 26th June, 2008

14th May 2016, 02:54

No, there are faults.

1. Carbs are hard to work on and labor intensive to synchronize, so that shows up negatively on any invoice you get when bringing it in.

2. They are a small / short man's bike; if you're 6' tall, forget it.

3. Crank pin is not strong, and you can break it if you rev it high and ride it hard.

4. Not really much room for windshield or saddle bags; again, bike is low end, small, a step up from a 250cc beginner bike.

5. Poor resale value, chain drive, not very fast for an 800cc.

2000 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from Sweden

Summary:

Generally good, but check out the electrics

Generally this bike has been reliable, and the Suzuki 800 Twin is a very tough engine with few problems. Even at 56000 this engine shows no wear.

But there has been a lot of smaller and larger electrical faults. The electrical system, especially the wiring, is not up to spec. Has had a poor connection several times that has been hard to locate, and you need to take off the tank for access each time. Changed horn, coil, battery twice. Poor connection in blinker button, start button and light button. Has taken parts apart and cleaned, and sprayed with WD-40. That did the trick.

This engine is a little picky on the engine oil. Use right JASO spec oil, or the clutch will slip badly.

General Comments:

A comfortable, fuel efficient bike, that's ideal for commuting and shorter trips. Overall very good economy; 250km/10L cruising, 220km/10L commuting, which is very good for a 800 Twin. Stylish and good mid-range pull. The 800 Twin engine is a real gem. I changed sprockets so I have lower revs when cruising.

Has held up quite well, but the chrome parts have started to rust. Paint is very good and almost looks like new, and I polish this bike 2-3 times a season, which preserves the paint.

Review Date: 19th May, 2008

13th Aug 2009, 05:27

Suzuki has now produced this model for 12 years more or less unchanged, except for added fuel injection instead of carbs to meet emission standards and some minor styling changes. Engine, transmission and the frame is unchanged. That says something on how well built this bike is. The mechanical parts of these bikes are more or less unbreakable. I've driven mine for almost ten straight years with no problems except some electrical problems as mentioned above.

There is a little design flaw: Both the coil and the spark plug for the front cylinder is somewhat exposed for the elements and I've experienced that front cyl starts to misfire due to contact corrosion and moisture when driving in wet. I've experienced this a couple of times, and now I inspects this area regularly and check the contact points and plugs (hard to get to).