Suzuki VZ800 Marauder Reviews - Page 3 of 4

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2003
Most recent distance42000 miles
Previous motorcycleHonda GL1200 Aspencade

Summary:

One of the most durable dependable motorcycles I have ever owned!

Nothing! Unbelievable how mechanically perfect it still is at 42,000 miles! I don't abuse my bikes, but I ride them hard to get where I am going! Can't break it!

General Comments:

One of the best bikes I have ever owned! Best bang for the buck! Usually first year bikes have problems and bugs.. not this one! Good Job Suzuki!

I have been riding for 30 years and have owned many bikes.. street, dirt, you name it, I have rode it, tested it, cruised on it and worked on it, but I have never had a more durable machine!

Seating was a bit of a problem where comfort is concerned, but a gel pad insert sewn-in fixed that! With a low seat height, inverted forks, monster 130-90 front tire, it grips and corners exceptionally well! Not too dangerously powerful for even entry riders, but it still moves out good! Want a Reliable, Tough, Safe Motorcycle? Buy a VZ-800, you won't regret it!

Matt Wrighter.

First year of ownership2000
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance23000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleSuzuki 250

Summary:

Reliable, but cheap in every respect

Some minor electrical problems, due to corrosion.

Clutch slippage.

Chrome rusts badly, must be treated regularly.

This bike is generally very solid mechanically.

General Comments:

This was one of the cheapest 800s around when I bought it, and it shows. Basic brakes and imprecise dampers, probably one of the slowest bikes in existence around a bend. OK, it's a cruiser, but the handling of this bike is almost dangerous.

But it has been very reliable, and combined with the resale price almost equal to zero, has made me keep it.

Unless you are a beginner, do not buy this bike!

Review Date: 4th August, 2006

16th Oct 2006, 17:34

Bike perspectives are relative. Cruisers are only really any good in countries that have straight roads, little rain and lots of sunshine. I own a cruiser in NZ, but I would never have bought one when I lived in England.

No rain = no rust

Gentle corners = OK handling

Sunshine = cruising

Maybe the bike is just wrong for you.

2005 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from New Zealand

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
First year of ownership2005
Previous motorcycleYamaha YZF1000R Thunderace

Summary:

V-twin style and presence

Nothing has gone wrong and it has been 100% reliable.

General Comments:

As a cruiser it is hard to fault. It looks faster than it goes and it goes well for an 800cc v -twin that is heavy. But performance is not the point with these bikes. They are not performance bikes, and as such have different priorities, such as chrome work, style and the all important v-twin.

This is enhanced by removing the unnecessary components, such as passenger seat, side reflectors and then adding extras - this bike needs to be customised. If you want eye popping performance, race track handling and amazing brakes, buy an R1. If you want a bike that makes you feel great, and that you don't need to ride at 150mph to feel good, then you can do much worse than the Marauder 800. I rate this bike highly.

Review Date: 19th May, 2006

17th Jun 2006, 17:03

Since writing the review, I managed to get a ticket for speeding! I guess the performance isn't so bad. I have added a couple of thousand kms to the tacho, and in that time the bike has grown on me even more. The cruiser riding position takes some getting used to and, as you get used to it, the handling improves. I still love the styling, but like many others I am having trouble finding custom parts. The solution is to find a custom and chopper shop and get them to make the parts for you.

I intend to boost the performance once the customising is done, and will let you all know how this goes.

19th Dec 2007, 18:19

Me again, and I still own the VZ. I have come close to selling it twice, but really can't find anything that I like better style wise.

Pirelli Route tyres have transformed the handling, a few custom parts have arrived, and the exhaust has been modified for a bit more noise.

Fat Bob Harley is the only other bike that has my interest at the moment, but at $26K NZ I am having a hard time justifying it.