2001 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United States of America

Summary:

A joy to own that won't break the bank

Nothing wrong in the design or build of the bike. The only thing is that you will feel like you are on a scavenger hunt to get the extra goodies for it like extra chrome (how much is enough?), lightbars etc. Suzuki has discontinued most of the accessories for this bike. I understand that all the mechanical parts are and will be available for quite some time.

The good news is that Suzuki put a lot of chrome on this bike to begin with, and some of the Boulevard (replaced the Marauder) stuff will fit. So it is pretty cool looking for the extras, and I am having a lot of fun surfing the net and checking out dealers for the leftovers.

I have had a different experience with the seating versus most, which is in the 2001 version the seating is fine. I will not be changing the seats any time soon unless a steal comes along (and it may).

General Comments:

Very smooth acceleration, handling and overall enjoyability. As a entry or mid level cruiser, this bike deserves some attention from the V-Star 650 and Honda Shadow 600 crowd.

Suzuki has done an excellent job on fit and finish. The drag bars set the tone for the raked design, that gives you enough room for a perfect sitting position, and still gives you the sense of being in total control of the bike. This is a winner for the market it was targeted for, and the bike has a unique look to it, that makes it stand out from the crowd.

It has plenty of power for its size. The inverted fork front suspension and bigger tires effectively dampen most bumps while still having a fair amount of responsiveness.

Review Date: 12th April, 2006

23rd Oct 2006, 07:30

Dear sirs,

The only thing you left out is how good this motorcycle is, and the fact that it was designed to be almost maintenance free. It does require 3000 mile maintenance for valve adjustments, but otherwise you are good to go.

As far as the dress up items, you are on the spot there for you really have to look hard for them or send out the stock parts to have them chromed.

As far as the seat, Suzuki makes a gel seat which is around $200.00, but is well worth the money for the looks are fantastic and it's comfortable when broken in.

Otherwise your article is good and should mention the good price for this motorcycle.

R.Hughes

Salem, VA.

6th Oct 2007, 18:14

Hi,

I own a 2001 Suzuki Marauder 800 and I really love this bike, but I need some web sites to get parts and some good discount web sites also. I heard about the Boulevard parts; that was very good info, I did not know that. I'm looking for highway bars and extras.

16th Oct 2012, 05:06

Mark from Lancashire, England. I have owned my Marauder for over 8 years. The only problems I have had is when the starter packed up. When I bought the bike, it was loaded with chrome extras. It takes forever to clean.

The bike is reliable and has never let me down. I would definitely have another.

20th Mar 2014, 00:11

Hi there folks, I've just recently bought a VZ800 97 model. I would like to get a bigger/more comfy seat (& stay two piece). Any ideas where I can get one? And I would like to change sprockets, so it will cruise at a smooth 110km/h. Any ideas on sprocket size &/or things to look out for?

Cheers, Paul

pauljamesfraser@hotmail.com

Australia NSW 2428

Mob 0423911351

10th Apr 2014, 20:55

I put a Mustang seat on mine, which was a great investment. You should be able to find them online.

1997 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United Kingdom

Summary:

A brilliant cruiser and well worth the outlay

Nothing.

General Comments:

What fun this bike is, at 50bhp as standard you could never take it to Santa Pod, but what a joy it is to ride.

Am immense amount of torque allows you to pull this bike from 25mph in top gear and literally accelerate away.

Once you have the right tyres on this bike, it will handle like a dream, seems to prefer either Metzeler ME880, or in my case Bridgestone Exeddra tyres. Forget any others as they appear to make the bike handle like a jelly in a washing machine.

One warning, once you have made your purchase, be prepared to spend even more money on extras, yes the bike cost me £2,500 second hand, and in 18 months I have spent nigh on another £1,500 on custom parts or performance improvements.

Never fails to turn heads due to the large amount of chrome on it, but be warned, the chrome you see is mostly chrome covered plastic. This is good in some ways as this means that the chrome will never flake as there is no metal underneath it to create dampness, but if you drop it, the panels crack and that's the end of it. Obviously the engine parts which are chromed are metal, but the adornments like side panels are not.

One downside is spare parts, Suzuki announced earlier this year that they were stopping making after-market parts for the Marauder. Although there is still stock left, this can only last so long, and I am finding except for the engine parts, which are still available, I am looking on various web pages for panels etc.

Having said that, if I carry on at this rate, there will not be much left of the original bike anyway - see that custom bug kicks in again - but again be warned, custom parts are not cheap, but they are definitely worth it.

The seat is the first thing to change, affectionately known in Marauder circles as 'the brick'. It will give you and your passenger a very numb bottom after 30 miles or so, and as some kind of idea, a comfortable replacement can cost anything from £150-£400.

A replacement exhaust to give it that 'meaty' sound and a bit more power, is anything from £200-£400.

Forward controls to make those long rides a little more comfortable are £200.

There you are, £1,000 already in the blink of an eye, and that is before you even start on the frame, paintwork, or the engine.

In my opinion, it's definitely worth it. There are not a huge amount of these on the roads, and if you can get one - do so, I do not think you will regret it. Just make sure you have an understanding partner, as it will take over part of your life.

Review Date: 12th October, 2005

24th Feb 2006, 15:53

I've had my 2004 Marauder VZ800 for three weeks now, and have added 1,000 miles to the 3,000 that were on it when I bought it. I came off an '83 Suzuki GS750ES (sport touring bike... very fast, scary fast I guess) and still feel this is a very fast cruiser. Mine is black (blue metal flake in the sun) and the original owner removed all of the identifying emblems from it (bless him).

It is stable, has killer looks, and is the finest bike I've ever ridden (my 3rd bike). It lacks the temp gauge, the tach, the fuel gauge, and the gear indicator of my GS750ES... but honestly, I don't miss them. It is excellent in town as well as on the road.

Mine had a blow-out on the back tire at 80 mph two weeks ago, but luckily, with help from above, I was able to ride it to an upright stop with no damage, and I fixed the tire with a plug. My main concern was dropping and sliding the bike and messing it up... never once did my own safety occur to me. The bike looks that good.

I had originally planned to get a Sportster 883, or a Honda Aero 750 or a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. Then I added the Invader and the Marauder to the wish list. The Marauder turned out to be the right bike for me; I was fortunate to find all of the listed bikes under one roof at the dealership and was able to sit on them all. I also compared the Marauder with those bikes and others on Bikez.com. It even seems to outdo them on paper.

I am 6'2 and weigh around 220. I have found that the bike fits me well, though it took a day or so to convert my style from the prone position of the GS. The only after market gear on my bike is the Cobra Slash Drag pipes... and they are loud. Wonderfully loud.

My MPG is usually between 32 and 37, but with the jetted carbs, though the MPG is lower, the power is great.

I love the bike and prefer its looks to the new M50... but I wouldn't mind one of those someday either. Don't guess I'd trade it for anything. I like it that much. It's comfortable... a 300 or more mile day trip is nothing to me. And there seem to be some good used VZ800's available yet. Be safe and lucky on the road.