Triumph Sprint 900 Reviews - Page 4 of 4

Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2005
Most recent distance12000 miles

Summary:

An outstanding all rounder

The CDI Pickup for the electronic ignition system. Apparently this is a relatively common problem.

The on board clock wears the battery down if stood for extended periods (more than 2 - 3 weeks).

General Comments:

Overall I'm very impressed, it's not the lightest, fastest or best handling bike I've ridden, but has that unique combination of being good enough in each department to make it a great bike that you can live with.

It is certainly one of the most comfortable bikes, I've owned at just over 6'3". I find it easy to ride and handle, and don't get cramp like I do on many other sports tourers.

The seat height is not so good if you like your saddle a bit closer to the ground.

Review Date: 4th March, 2005

13th Dec 2006, 15:13

Just got a sprint 900 (1996) as my first bike. Bit heavy when manouvering, but fantastic fun. Generally above comments I agree with. But scary in strong side winds, but so was the Suzy GS500 I learnt on.

8th Mar 2007, 13:56

I bought my 1994 Sprint 7 years ago. I am still very happy with it, I have been to Switzerland on it, so I think that counts as a fair test ride. There is no other bike on the market at the moment that I am remotely tempted to have instead of the Sprint.

Your comments about seat hight are accurate. I am only 5'6", so the Sprint is really a bit tall for me, it is also quite top heavy, but I wanted one and I wasn't going to let common sense get in the way. This attitude has persisted throughout the time I have owned the bike.

The C.D.I. pickup went wrong on my Sprint as well. It was tricky to identify as the culprit as it was a temperamental fault.

27th Sep 2009, 19:30

I had a 96 Triumph Sprint 900 for a couple of months in 2007. Powerful, superbly built and very comfortable. However, it's top heavy and ugly, mine didn't have a mainstand, which was really annoying! Meant to challenge the VFR 750 - fat chance!

1994 Triumph Sprint 900 from Australia

Model year1994
Year of manufacture1993
First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2005
Distance when acquired38500 kilometres
Most recent distance250000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleYamaha FJ1200

Summary:

Up there with the Yamaha XS1100, only much better by a mile

Starter sprague clutch went at 120.000kms.

Igniter box replaced under warranty.

Coils, all three one after the other over the space of 3 months...

Seat recovered at 100.000kms (Aussie Sun).

General Comments:

Very comfortable for hours of riding, the ergonomics for me are spot on. Up there with the old Yamaha XS1100..

Beefed up the suspension with Ohlins springs in the front and an Ohlins type 4 shock out the back.

Also has the best aftermarket exhaust in the world - Staintune stainless steel pipes and K&N air filter.

Oil changes every 5,000/6,000.

She is heavy in the brakes... front pads last 10/11 months..

I run her on bridgestones BT/020's and regularly get 18,000kms out of the rear.

I ride each and every day (no car licence) to work and otherwise...

Sometimes we use the car to get out in sometimes, but the bike usually wins out.

This is one motorcycle that gets better with more kms on the clock...

With the exception of the above faults, I have nothing but the highest of praise for this bike (enough so that I don't think I will ever get rid of her).

Review Date: 21st January, 2005

21st Aug 2005, 13:38

I have the same bike, an Executive from 1998. My problem is that the bolts are breaking from the generator, and the chain differs in wear on each half revolution, so I have to replace it because the tension of the chain differs too much. The sprockets are OK, but the chain is one of a very poor quality.

Also I found out that to replace the chain, you have to drain the carter oil and unscrew some covers from the engine. Probably this part was designed on a Friday afternoon.

For the rest it's a perfect bike with smooth riding qualities and an excellent fuel consumption.

Best regards.

Jan Adriaanse

The Netherlands

4th Jul 2006, 06:55

Hi, I'am also the very happy owner of a '93 Sprint, purchased new Dec '93. Apart from wear and tear, (110,000klm), she is a very versatile bike. Have replaced the starter clutch, but apart from that, no mechanical faults.

Would like to contact owners of other bikes. I use mine for fun, mountain rides or long trips (rode from Cairns to Brisbane in 19 hours). 20,000 klm per back tyre.

bobsue@aapt.net.au

29th Aug 2010, 11:47

I have a 1994 Triumph Sprint. The genius that owned it before me (I mean genius, not dummy) was a total Triumph guru. He pulled the pistons and liners, installed Nickle liners & over size pistons. I am guessing the displacement is over 1000cc now. The carbs are full race & so is the pipe. I now have 125HP with 90LB torque (Factory was 60lb torque and 90 HP). This bike is lightning fast with power to spare. While cresting a steep hill, wide open in 5th, a strong head on gust of wind lifted my front wheel off the ground (210KPH) unbelievable power!! A pit stop and clean underwear, I was back on the road.

17th Oct 2010, 08:52

Just bought a 1996 900 Sprint, the best kept secret in motorcycling. Other reviews mention top heavy, heavy bike, stop wheeling it about and ride/open it up! Excellent bike for corners, done a little tour of my home country Ireland, no numb tail end, clocked some 2k miles, never missed a beat, regardless of speed or what we always have here, rain! Only 45k miles on the clock, highly recommended :-) ride free.