1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Great all around cruiser

The one and only real problem I had with this bike is when I first got it running after sitting for a few years, I couldn't get it to run right. It would sputter and pop under acceleration, and die at a stop. After a few days of troubleshooting, I accidentally fixed it when I ended up draining the tank and filling it with premium gas. It turns out, mine just will not run on regular.

Also, I think with 32,000 miles it could use a valve adjustment.

Brakes are noisy.

General Comments:

Love the look, love the feel.

Don't understand why people complain about the lack of power. For any practical purpose, the bike has all the power it will ever need. I weigh 270lbs, and have no complaints about the power. People looking for lots of horsepower and superb handling, should be looking into a street bike, not a cruiser.

Review Date: 7th August, 2012

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Perfect bike for the new rider to ride, and then go to a bigger bike afterward

Would sometimes just die when driving, but could be started right back up by dumping the clutch.

Didn't always start. Had to be push started.

Both issues more than likely due to the fact I did zero repairs on it.

I hated adjusted and lubing the darn chain.

General Comments:

I bought a 1979 Honda 750 Four, and it was OK. I sold that and came across a good deal on the 650 Maxim. This was my first bike that I actually rode around regularly, so it is the bike I learned on really.

This bike was what I considered the perfect starter bike. It wasn't crazy powerful, but was quick enough for a beginner rider to appreciate riding, with good pull all the way to around 85MPH, then it would fall on its nose and pull no more. Like I said, perfect for the beginner.

I did occasionally ride passengers, but I think it is primarily for single riding. It is a good looking scaled down cruiser of the era. Put a shaft drive on this thing, and you virtually eliminate most of the cons about it.

Review Date: 26th May, 2012

27th May 2012, 21:28

You are really selling the Maxim 650 short, labeling it a beginner's bike.

30th May 2012, 23:10

Only reason I say that it is good for beginners, is because of how good it was for ME to learn and take my M endorsement test with. It is small, so it is fairly nimble. It is only 650cc, so it is enough for a beginner rider to have fun with, learn the dynamics of riding, but not kill him/herself. Shoot, I'm glad it was the way it was. A few months into riding and I drove that thing like a man possessed. Like I said, it got to 85 quickly and then just gave no more. THAT was a good thing for me. No no, don't get me wrong. I have nothing but wonderful memories of the 650 Maxim.

23rd Feb 2013, 17:39

May I say you must have had the XS version, as I have the XJ, and to my knowledge all XJ 650s have the shaft drive.

I don't understand yours falling off at 85mph either; mine will do 110mph+ all day long.

13th Mar 2013, 12:45

It's shaft driven. No chain.

Heather

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from Canada

Summary:

Super handling with big bike comfort

Bought this bike from a nice old lady who used it for her display model. She decided to retire, sold her bike accessories store, her collection of Indian Chiefs, some Harleys, and this bike.

It has a full wind jammer fairing, coffee cup holder, built in stereo, leather handle grips with 2 ft leather whips. All needed for our cold Alberta weather.

Lots of smooth inline 4 power, not any of that shake and rock and roll V configuration. A lot smoother ride than my newer Honda 500 Shadow. Miss having 6th gear though.

General Comments:

The brakes need some work. My 6 speed Honda 500 shifts smoother.

Review Date: 8th June, 2011