1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Overall a great first bike for me; 600 miles on it in 2 weeks proves it

My only issues were my own stupidity with this bike.

I tried to start it with clutch held in, in 1st gear.

Oil light came on and I was frantic for about 6 hours.

I changed my oil, oil filter, and my air filter.

Then I popped it in Neutral, and felt very stupid

General Comments:

I bought a 82 XJ650 Maxim used with 17.3k miles. Garage kept for 800, and have had no problems with the bike so far.

The rubber air boot to the carburetors are a bit cracked, so I had a bit of a vacuum issue as far as idling, easily fixed with rubber epoxy.

I also got lucky on a deal for a parts bike. It is an 82 XJ650 Maxim with no title. Engine runs, 17k miles, no front caliper, all for $225. It's gonna be great to have a stock selection of parts in my garage. Can't wait to pick it up!

Review Date: 14th May, 2009

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Bullet proof

Having a problem now starting the bike...

By the time you start it.. it rolls then dies down.

I adjusted the idle to higher RPM 4-5000 rpm "just to get home cause it won't start in low idle". The next day.. it won't start.. it seems like it not feeding.. need help!?

General Comments:

Can't say enough.. 28 years old and still running.. except now, hopefully a minor issue.

Review Date: 5th April, 2009

25th Oct 2016, 02:27

Clean out the carburetor's idle circuit and check for good spark at the plugs. Get a shop manual and go from there for more information. These are fun and reliable bikes in general, plus they are pretty quick for a cruiser.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Great bike

I have an 1982 XJ650 Maxim. The starter or the voltage regulator went out. How do I go about fixing it?

General Comments:

The bike rides great, very dependable.

Please email me at neilpaynejr@yahoo.com thanks.

Review Date: 5th March, 2009

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

For a 27 year old bike, it still will run with the big boys and looks good doing it!

Nothing really has gone wrong with it, though the carburetors could use a going over (rough idling); I just change the oil, tires, fluids & go.

It could use a repaint as the paint is looking shabby.

General Comments:

I always thought the 80's style bikes had a "Whole Lot Of Soul" & the "Yamaha Maxims" says it all.

It's so agile & predictable, it's just too much fun for a bike of this vintage.

Review Date: 1st February, 2009

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Awesome bike, I love it!

General Comments:

I love this bike. Excellent buy and it runs great with lots of power.

Review Date: 25th September, 2008

1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 from Canada

General Comments:

Just bought an 81 Maxim 650 and have been having a blast cruisin' around Canada's capital.

One minor problem continues to plague my otherwise happy experience though. My signal lights work fine when I have the switch held to either left or right, however they won't stay on if I release the button.

I have replaced the switch assembly on the handle bar, but the problem persists. I suspect it's the relay for some reason, and hope someone on this forum has experienced the same problem and can offer some advice.

Review Date: 17th August, 2008

21st Jan 2010, 15:08

Under the tank is an auto cancel module; that is the likely target for your signal lights not staying on when you let the signal light switch go to the neutral position.

8th Sep 2011, 21:34

Same issue. I'm thinking it's the location of the relay and the associated heat. Seems to work unless I'm riding in stop and go traffic. No solution as of yet.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United Kingdom

Summary:

I can't fault the bike for its age and performance

The carbs were drawing air from the butterfly flaps. Also couldn't find another set of carbs for the XJ650, so I replaced them with XJ600 carbs, and changed the jet, and the bike run great.

That is the only problem I have had with bike itself.

General Comments:

This bike is very good with handling. It is also very quick and fast, and is very comfortable.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2008