1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Awesome bike, I love it!

General Comments:

I love this bike. Excellent buy and it runs great with lots of power.

Review Date: 25th September, 2008

1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 from Canada

General Comments:

Just bought an 81 Maxim 650 and have been having a blast cruisin' around Canada's capital.

One minor problem continues to plague my otherwise happy experience though. My signal lights work fine when I have the switch held to either left or right, however they won't stay on if I release the button.

I have replaced the switch assembly on the handle bar, but the problem persists. I suspect it's the relay for some reason, and hope someone on this forum has experienced the same problem and can offer some advice.

Review Date: 17th August, 2008

21st Jan 2010, 15:08

Under the tank is an auto cancel module; that is the likely target for your signal lights not staying on when you let the signal light switch go to the neutral position.

8th Sep 2011, 21:34

Same issue. I'm thinking it's the location of the relay and the associated heat. Seems to work unless I'm riding in stop and go traffic. No solution as of yet.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United Kingdom

Summary:

I can't fault the bike for its age and performance

The carbs were drawing air from the butterfly flaps. Also couldn't find another set of carbs for the XJ650, so I replaced them with XJ600 carbs, and changed the jet, and the bike run great.

That is the only problem I have had with bike itself.

General Comments:

This bike is very good with handling. It is also very quick and fast, and is very comfortable.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2008

1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

This is one dependable, missle proof bike!!!

I have just this year started to experience a oil leak that I think is due to an old, worn out, DOHC cover gasket. I am going to replace it this weekend and see if it takes care of my little problem. But I think this sorta thing is to be expected. For cryin out loud, the bike is 27 years old!!! But none the less, still runs GREAT!!!

General Comments:

I own the 1981 650 Maxim. I don't know how many bikes those of you complaining have owned. But I have had a couple. This bike has been the most reliable, and all around Missle Proof bike I've ever owned. The engine is as strong, and dependable as the day is long.

Don't get me wrong, the comfort of the ride has some to be desired. Also, the braking power isn't as strong as I would like, and I wish it had a bigger fuel tank.

But all around this is a great bike for the non-experienced beginner, OR the veteran rider such as myself. I am just ready for a bigger bike. But, I will still be sure to keep this dependable old cruiser regardless.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2008

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

I think it's a nice fun ride

I haven't had no problems at all; changed 4 plugs.

General Comments:

Yeah they do run pretty strong between 8000 and 10000, and I think it's one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever rode. I'm really love the driveshaft.

Sometimes I catch myself riding it like a motorcross bike, if you know what I mean.

Review Date: 18th February, 2008

1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Great overall bike

General Comments:

This bike is great in power and reliability. It has plenty of speed and handles great.

This bike was built in the 80,s and should be judged on that level. Don't compare this bike to the new models; it was before their time.

I don't think the new bikes can compete with the toughness of this bike. I bought my Maxim 650 for one hundred bucks about 6 months ago and love it. The bike had been sitting for about 8 years, and I had very little problem getting the bike to run after buying it. I was amazed.

Review Date: 28th December, 2007