1992 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

Classic look and an awesome ride, I would recommend it to anyone!!!

Nothing.

General Comments:

Great bike. I have had it for under a month and put over 700 miles on the bike.

My wife has found the bike to be very comfortable; a lot more than our older bike, which was just too small for 2 tall people.

The only thing we are going to add is a floor boards for the 2 of us. We do long rides; 150 miles or more at a time, and this bike is great. Not only is the bike comfortable, the lines are nice and classic. Can't beat that old school look.

Review Date: 11th May, 2008

28th Jul 2013, 19:02

Hi. Do you still own the bike? If so, how is it holding up? If not, why not?

1995 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

Great reliable bike

I have encountered no problems with this Virago; it's a very reliable bike.

General Comments:

Beautiful bike, classic cruiser looks, in my opinion one of the best looking bikes made.

Has plenty of power, cruises well between 60mph to 75mph.

There is quite a bit of vibration above 70 mph; enough to make your hands tingle after 30 minutes of riding.

In my opinion, the seat/handlebar locations are not set up for a tall person; it's a perfect ride for the smaller person though.

Review Date: 19th January, 2008

1996 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Canada

Summary:

Up to its end, it was my favourite motorcycle

The odometer/speedometer unit (at the front wheel) failed - during a trip. This was a problem as I use the trip odometer to gauge gasoline levels in the tank.

The right side cover (plastic body part) left the motorcycle at highway speed and did not live to tell about it. I drilled holes and used zip ties to secure the replacement units on the bike.

To change the oil filter required a lot of work because of the engine guard - a bad design flaw.

General Comments:

It was a good touring machine, except for the small gas tanks, which limited range to about 200 km between fill-ups. This required continuous planning of gas stations and stops.

I used to say that its colour was chrome with blue highlights.

The motorcycle was written off in a crash.

Although I loved it, I doubt I'll ever own another 'cruiser' bike, as dual purpose machines and naked bikes handle better, and work very well on longer trips.

Review Date: 16th October, 2007

1987 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

Beautifulllllll

Had starter problem when I bought the bike, $350 later and I was riding. No other problems encountered.

General Comments:

Great bike to ride, plenty of power, easy to control in and out of traffic.

I've read where some magazines comment about the looks of a Virago, but in my mind they are beautiful bikes.

This bike has been very reliable other than the starter problem, but I believe this to be a common problems on the early Viragos.

If a person is vertically challenged, then this is a good bike for them. With a low center of gravity, it's a breeze when coming to a stop.

Review Date: 22nd September, 2006

6th Sep 2011, 18:24

Shortly after I bought my 1989, I had to replace the starter clutch. I do my own maintenance when I can, the part was $170 and not very hard to replace. Problem solved.

1993 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Australia

Summary:

An enjoyable riding experience

Nothing. A very reliable bike.

General Comments:

Great bike. Easy to handle, reliable and a pleasure to ride. Heaps of power and seems to be quite economical. Also a nice looking bike with a classic Harley look. Very happy with this bike so far.

Review Date: 21st June, 2006

22nd Jun 2006, 06:18

Why do you all want your Yamaha's to have a "Harley look"?

I'm happy with my bikes both looking like Yamahas.

They're great bikes!

I personally prefer the old in-line fours to the "Harley look" V-twins, but the V-Twins are very nice indeed!

12th Sep 2006, 05:52

I mentioned that the Yamaha XV1100 has a classic Harley look because it is a shape that is recognizable by all bike enthusiasts. Harley-Davidson put the v-twin motor on the map, so I am giving credit where it is due. The Japanese improved reliability, handling etc. but the romanticism of the Harley and their characteristic V-twin motor will never be topped. Having said this, my XV1100 is an awesome bike and I enjoy every minute on it.