1997 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Finland

Beautiful custom

I have a starting problem. When I push the starting switch, it only clicks. When I put it on gear and push the bike back´n forth forcefully, it starts. I installed another earth lead from the battery to the frame, and a problem appears only occasionally.

General Comments:

This is the best looking custom there is. It also is very reliable - never leaves you on the road.

I have had mine 9 years now, and I can recommend it to everyone who´s planning to buy a bike.

Review Date: 11th July, 2008

24th Oct 2010, 22:57

I have a 99 XV1100SE, and the same problem shows up occasionally. Kill switch in the right position. Kick stand up. Press starter, lights on the instruments dance, but no start. Not even a click.

Ignition off, put the bike into reverse, hold the clutch in and back the bike up a foot or two and let the clutch lever snap out to force the engine to move some and try again. It always starts right away when I do that. I think the motor is stopping at top dead centre when the no start happens. Why? No idea.

You can, of course, accomplish the same thing by putting it in second and repeating the performance while moving forward, but it's just easier to get the motor internals to shift a little (that's all it takes) when you're pushing back with your legs.

BTW I bought mine with 19,000 km on the clock in May 2008, and it now has 49,000 on it today, October 24, 2010.

I'm looking to do handling and power upgrades on this Virago. I really love it and will have it for a long time, so I want to improve both those areas as much as possible. I have my own ideas on customizing the looks, but I'm always up for good ideas.

If you have any ideas, please feel free to send them to me at chrisviragoupgrades@gmail.com

No worries, I just created this email address while writing this for the sole purpose of getting email from people who have experience and/or advice on how to improve the machine.

Thanks in advance, and I will answer every email.

17th Dec 2013, 03:01

Reverse?? It's a Virago. 1st down, N, 4 up????

1992 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Classic look and an awesome ride, I would recommend it to anyone!!!

General Comments:

Great bike. I have had it for under a month and put over 700 miles on the bike.

My wife has found the bike to be very comfortable; a lot more than our older bike, which was just too small for 2 tall people.

The only thing we are going to add is a floor boards for the 2 of us. We do long rides; 150 miles or more at a time, and this bike is great. Not only is the bike comfortable, the lines are nice and classic. Can't beat that old school look.

Review Date: 11th May, 2008

28th Jul 2013, 19:02

Hi. Do you still own the bike? If so, how is it holding up? If not, why not?

1995 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Great reliable bike

I have encountered no problems with this Virago; it's a very reliable bike.

General Comments:

Beautiful bike, classic cruiser looks, in my opinion one of the best looking bikes made.

Has plenty of power, cruises well between 60mph to 75mph.

There is quite a bit of vibration above 70 mph; enough to make your hands tingle after 30 minutes of riding.

In my opinion, the seat/handlebar locations are not set up for a tall person; it's a perfect ride for the smaller person though.

Review Date: 19th January, 2008

13th Jun 2015, 23:37

I'm about 6', and also had complaints about the riding position. Added a set of forward controls, and I can ride all day.

1996 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Canada

Up to its end, it was my favourite motorcycle

The odometer/speedometer unit (at the front wheel) failed - during a trip. This was a problem as I use the trip odometer to gauge gasoline levels in the tank.

The right side cover (plastic body part) left the motorcycle at highway speed and did not live to tell about it. I drilled holes and used zip ties to secure the replacement units on the bike.

To change the oil filter required a lot of work because of the engine guard - a bad design flaw.

General Comments:

It was a good touring machine, except for the small gas tanks, which limited range to about 200 km between fill-ups. This required continuous planning of gas stations and stops.

I used to say that its colour was chrome with blue highlights.

The motorcycle was written off in a crash.

Although I loved it, I doubt I'll ever own another 'cruiser' bike, as dual purpose machines and naked bikes handle better, and work very well on longer trips.

Review Date: 16th October, 2007