Buell 1125R Review

Year of manufacture2008
First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleYamaha FZ6 Fazer

Summary:

Awesome, soulful bike that captures all of my spare attention

Rough running when new. Difficult to break in.

General Comments:

So far, it has been an amazing adventure. My last bike, a Yamaha FZ6, was easy to own, went pretty fast, and handled pretty well.

The Buell, however, is a beast! Amazing amount of torque, revs well enough, 10,500RPM redline, although, I've never had it over 8,500. Just haven't needed to, it's already so fast.

The build quality of the bike is wonderful. Automotive style electrical fasteners are much better than what I've seen on 'metric' bikes, and the toolkit has decent tools to adjust the suspension and take the wheels off.

The exhaust is nice and quiet for a road bike. It makes a nice growl. At this time, I haven't even begun to find the limits of its cornering ability. Haven't really needed to, the torque slings me out of corners so fast, I can catch everything without pushing hard.

I'm told other Buells tend to stand up in corners when the brakes are applied, but this has not been the case on the 1125.

The seat is a little hard, but not bad. Funky styling means you'll either love it or hate it. I love it. So far, lots of women have responded to it, very nice!

One last thing, I followed motoman's break in advice for the engine and it picked up a lot of power. I'm now following his advice for my new car and the gas mileage is coming up nicely on it. Hope this helps.

Review Date: 19th May, 2008