1985 Honda GL1200 Aspencade from United States of America

Summary:

Once sorted out, still the best Gold Wing

I bought this bike from an amateur mechanic that might have been good with cars, but not bikes. Because I've been repairing and restoring Gold Wings for over 20 years, I realized it had good bones, just needed to be sorted out. The brakes were dragging, the carbs were just totally wrong, and the air suspension was DOA. But it looked like a million and just needed some patience.

General Comments:

After a few months in the shop, working on it between customers, I got it sorted out. It was a California model, smogged, and had been rejetted with the wrong mains and hadn't had the low jets upgraded. After repairing all the wrongs, it ran perfectly and is my day to day bike.

With these 1200s, you should always straight wire the stator to bypass the plug, which overheats, melts and fries the stator wiring. Remove any extra lights, light bars, driving lights etc. and electrics are no longer a worry.

The 1200s are an excellent example of applied American engineering. They return good mileage, lots of torque, and once set up, are a reliable steed year in and year out.

I prefer the 1200 over subsequent models because of their handling, power and weight. The 1500s are overweight and the 1800s are just too darn expensive for the casual rider.

Review Date: 28th March, 2016

1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade from United States of America

Summary:

Fantastic machine

Nothing.

General Comments:

I just purchased this bike from a motorcycle mechanic in Vista who found it in a barn with several other classic motorcycles and automobiles. It had 11,000 miles on it when he purchased it from the previous owner's widow. The bike was purchased new and ridden for 11,000 miles. The owner then became to ill to ride anymore and he parked it in the barn in 1997 where it sat until 2015 until purchased by a 40-year Gold Wing mechanic. He totally went through the bike replacing seals and hoses, rebuilding carbs, new tires, new fluids, new brakes. He completely cleaned the bike and left the original paint which still looks like new. The mechanic was going to keep it, but found that sitting in the upright position hurt his back. He sold it to me for $4,500. That price, you might think is high. It is high compared to other Gold Wings for sale with 75000 plus miles and needing maintenance and repairs. This bike runs like new, looks like new and rides like new. Everything on it works perfectly including the radio and cassette player. I was happy to pay $4,500 for a basically new bike, especially compared to a similarly equipped 2016 Gold Wing.

I love riding this bike. The acceleration is smooth and strong. For such a large bike, the handling is fantastic, especially on the freeway which is what this machine is made for. It is comfortable and easy to ride. I am looking forward to many years of pleasure from this beautiful machine.

Review Date: 29th February, 2016

1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade from United States of America

Summary:

Excellent

Nothing...

General Comments:

Well, owning this motorcycle has been a REAL surprise for sure! I acquired the motorcycle on a trade because I was looking for something with some distance capability, and read MANY good reviews on the Goldwing line. I was SHOCKED when I saw this motorcycle for the first time, because it was in such great condition, I thought it was a much newer model.

This is my first touring motorcycle, so I was a little apprehensive as to my expectations of the handling and acceleration characteristics... but after the initial test ride, all of my doubts were put to rest. The bike has a confident stride to it. Smooth and effortless roll-on acceleration (even in top gear it pulled smoothly from 2500 RPM) that I did not expect.

The handling is much better than I expected for such a large motorcycle, as this is a full dress Aspencade model. Well balanced! Very easy to roll around at a slow speed. Not a high speed handler for sure, but at a normal and sane rate of speed, it acquits itself nicely, offering slightly heavy but confident steering. Tires will determine your individual opinions on this one though. This particular motorcycle was outfitted with Dunlop bias ply tires, so I will try radials when I wear these out.

I really like the air suspension adjustments and all the other amenities that this motorcycle has to offer. The person before me performed all the maintenance on this that was needed. If you run across a well kept used Goldwing for sale, do yourself a favor and snatch it up. You won't regret it!

Review Date: 6th March, 2014