2000 Honda VFR800FI from United States of America

Summary:

Outstanding daily commuter for the mature rider

Nothing that was the bike's fault. Some nad ran me off the road, and I had to replace the right side fairing (insanely expensive in comparison to my ZX-7).

General Comments:

Great bike. Runs like a dream with little drama. Accelerates quickly and handles even better. Brakes are outstanding.

Only negatives are the look-at-my-elbow mirrors (too short in length to see past riders elbows) and some slight buzzing while cruising at say 80 mph (solved by switching to aftermarket grips).

The bike seems unbreakable, mechanically.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2012

1999 Honda VFR800FI from South Africa

Summary:

One of the best Hondas ever

Nothing has ever gone wrong.

General Comments:

I have been riding for the past 30 years, and this must be the best motorcycle I have ever owned during that time.

Whatever the conditions, it always starts first time.

I have done several long trips of about 200km plus, and have had no problems.

The riding position is slightly more upright than a superbike, and I find it very comfortable, especially since there is less strain on the wrists.

Even though the bike is more than 10 years old, it still looks modern and sleek. A real head turner.

The V4 engine is a dream, and with an aftermarket exhaust, it sounds just awesome.

Handling and roadholding are very good, as well as the braking with the linked system. Honda has really done a good job here!

Highly recommended!

Review Date: 29th March, 2011

1998 Honda VFR800FI from United Kingdom

Summary:

The original world's best all-rounder, and still a contender

Regulator rectifier stopped working at 20,000 miles.

Rear damper rebuild at 34,000 miles.

Head bearings replaced at 34,000.

Clutch started slipping at 38,000 miles.

Fork seals replaced at 40,000 miles.

Replacement chain at 43,000 miles (this was the original chain).

General Comments:

I have owned this motorbike for eight and a half years. In that time I have used it for commuting, weekend rides, touring, track days and taking part in a number of slow riding skills days (probably a contributory factor to the clutch problem).

The bike has a good, strong, predictable power delivery, which is ideal for road use, and only at fast tracks (E.G.. Snetterton) is left wanting along the straights.

On road handling is generally excellent, rarely feeling disturbed by the poor road conditions encountered around this part of the UK. It is very sensitive to a squared off rear tyre, which can result in a tendency to wander and give a bit of a wiggle when crossing (raised) white lines at an narrow angle, for example. On track days it's perfectly capable of maintaining pace towards the front of the intermediate group.

The addition of a Scottoiler, heated grips and a double bubble screen has made this into a first class mile-munching tourer, with a usable tank range of around 180 miles between fill-ups when cruising at 80mph, leaving plenty in reserve to hunt a fuel-station. On longer days, 500+ miles, the saddle starts feeling a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours, which coincides nicely with a refuel stop - maybe it could do with being sculpted better for my shape.

I'm told that pillion accommodation is adequate. The addition of a pillion does not appear to unduly upset the bike's performance or handling. However, the headlights tend to dazzle oncoming travel when a pillion is on board - easier access to the rear preload might help alleviate this.

Review Date: 14th December, 2010

2007 Honda VFR800FI from United Kingdom

Summary:

Excellent one up touring, not so good two up with normal sized adults

Nothing, headlights were a little high, dealer re-adjusted at no cost.

General Comments:

Over the moon with this motorcycle, one up touring its ace, one up about town ace. I find it a little heavy when two up, especially with all the Honda panniers. Power when two up at 70mph is ample but not impressive.

The max load of the bike is not enough in my opinion. I don't know what other bikes are, but two sensible sized adults, and all the panniers puts the weight over the top. I would have liked another 30 kg.

I think this bike would make an amazing one up tourer. With two up, stretch to the Blackbird (or maybe me and my missus need to lose weight!!!).

The linked brakes and ABS are fine, and have not compromised my riding at all.

My bum started to ache after 100 miles; 10 minutes breaks after 100 miles sorts it out, or buy an aftermarket seat.

Even with two up, got 170 miles to a tank.

Review Date: 1st April, 2008