1983 Honda XL600R from South Africa

Summary:

Not even Africa can break her..

Stator coil replaced.

Carb rebuild.

New piston and rings (replaced original).

Every bearing on the body.

General Comments:

Fantastic torque like very few other in its class.

Old but still a serious bike off road; not the best but good. A road toy because of that fantastic pulling power and sound, it really makes the old school bikers think back to the day I bought a FJ1100, but no way I was selling my red rocket.

Highly recommendable flag stone model right through the range. People, this bike knows Africa and even she can't break it...

Review Date: 20th November, 2008

1983 Honda XL600R from Canada

Summary:

Fantastic!

Replaced head gasket for minor oil leaks, & replaced cam for thin spots in surface hardening at the same time.

Replaced rear tire once a year, front tire every three years.

Replaced seat upholstery in 1998.

Replaced chain & sprockets (original) in 2005.

Replaced rear wheel bearings in 2006.

General Comments:

Despite all of the negative comments that you may hear about the bike's weight/size, I absolutely love the power, handling,& comfort. I am only about 155 pounds & far from an expert rider (& 44 years old), but I can slide out of a corner at high speeds & still feel very much in control. For long distance, high speed off road touring this bike is fantastic.

I have had virtually no problem getting parts at reasonable prices.

The bike definitely has a learning curve to starting it, but once you get to know it, starting is a breeze - again, note my weight.

I love the bike-what more can I say - I hope it never blows up.

Review Date: 16th May, 2008

9th Aug 2008, 23:54

Hi,

You were saying you have to familiarize yourself on starting the bike. Do you have proper procedure? Some pointers would be great help...

Thanks

24th Sep 2008, 13:59

There is a trick to starting an XL600R; you have to slowly depress the kick starter until you hear a click. The bike has to be in neutral and the clutch depressed to hear this click in my experience. Now when you hear this click, it signifies that the piston is at top dead center for maximum compression, but once you hear it, if the bike is cold, hit the choke. If you're just restarting a warm bike... no choke and kick it like you mean it. This bike has a lot of compression so it takes a deliberate forceful kick, but once you've got the routine down it's elementary...

Oh yeah, and if you have the problem I have, write yourself a Post It, once the bike is warmed up, TURN OFF THE MAN CHOKE... I always forget and the bike stalls at the first stop sign I get to, then you run the risk of flooding it. I've done it, believe me you don't want this bike to flood, it's a nightmare to get restarted.

12th Oct 2008, 19:16

Can any one tell me if most of the parts are available from the dealer? I have a 1985 XL600 that I want to get back in running order. It needs carbs rebuilt and head gasket. I'm afraid if I get it started, then a part won't be available and then I'll be stuck. Any ideas would be great.

Email Apanther454@gmail Thx.

20th Oct 2008, 22:28

My son and I are refurbishing my old '83 XL600 that has been neglected in the back of my garage for ten years now. We have had no problems buying the parts we have needed. We purchased a new valve cover gasket, new copper seals for the rocker arm shafts, gaskets for the exhaust, carb manifold bolt and a soft goods kit for the carburetors. All were available at LeBard and Underwood in Fullerton, Ca. Their prices are a little higher than the norm but they have parts for 30 year old bikes sitting on their shelves and their service is excellent.

RMM, Fullerton, CA.

7th Jul 2009, 19:15

I have a 1983 XL600R and I am looking for an ignition switch and key for it. If you know where I can find one, email me at bruzzie410@yahoo.com Thank you...

4th Aug 2009, 10:03

Ignition switches for the XL 600 are available new on UK E bay. I purchased one for £30 and it takes about an hour to fit.

20th Aug 2012, 21:54

If you have a Honda dealer, they still have the parts. I am in New Jersey. I have an 83 XL600R. Parts are easy to get, and the price ain't bad for the parts, but they never break down. It's worth it. Mine was beat to hell. Looks like hell, runs better and faster than my friend's RM250 though.

1983 Honda XL600R from United States of America

Summary:

A good old thumper

Carburetor rebuilt.

Ignition coil replaced.

Oil leaks.

Fork seals leak.

General Comments:

Great big old thumper.

Starts first kick once you know the proper procedure.

Great low end torque, really hard to bog the engine down.

Carb is jetted really lean from the factory.

Bike is heavy so its off-road ability is limited; definitely not for a novice.

Overall good, but parts are not cheap.

Review Date: 1st July, 2007

1983 Honda XL600R from Australia

Summary:

Love it

Front fork seals leaking, due to lack of use maybe.

General Comments:

Love the big single sound and power.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2006

8th Mar 2009, 05:37

Loved my XL 600 R. Bought her brand new from Allan West Honda, Coffs Harbour. N.S.W. Australia early '84. Had her set up with a surfboard rack on the left-hand side, which was probably slightly illegal, but hey a bloke's gotta carry his board somehow hey? Rode her up and down the east coast of Oz quiet a few times, and right across Australia, yep, that's right, across that bloody Nullabor, and she never missed a beat!! Selling her was one of the dumbest things I've ever done. But as ol' Ned Kelly was supposed to have said, "Such is life".

Rob Marshall, Currumbin, QLD, Oz.