Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII Reviews

Model year1993
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous motorcycleHonda CB750

Summary:

Best touring machine for the price -- can't be beat!

Flooded battery failed, replaced with an AGM (only type I will use from now on...).

Replaced the fork springs, and oil-filled, air shocks on rear, with Progressive springs, and 412-Series shocks -- worth every penny.

Water pump leaked coolant, replaced seal.

Water temperature sending unit's wire came off (known issue, can be difficult to re-attach due to cramped space -- use a 10", hemostat).

Mirror mounts come loose: pry off plastic rim, tighten nut inside, behind glass mirror, re-attach plastic rim/trim using RTV silicone sealant.

General Comments:

This is the best touring bike for the money, bar none! They can be had, with 50k miles, for typically around $3,000, and the engines will last for 200,000+ miles! The engines are amazingly reliable, dependable, and require minimum maintenance.

The passenger seat slides back/forth, to adjust for the comfort of the driver; the rear trunk slides forward/back to allow room for the passenger. An after-market trunk-extender can be purchased, which really helps by moving the trunk back around 3", which makes a huge difference for both the passenger, and the driver.

The radio is there, but with modern intercoms having radios built-in, and MP3 player compatibility, the radio is irrelevant to me. An aftermarket backrest, for the driver, is a must! A vented windshield helps, too. Saddlebag liners, if not included with the bike, can be bought from JC Whitney -- they come standard equipment, from the factory; they make loading/unloading the bike a snap.

My wife and I both drive, taking turns sitting in back, on long tours. We both love the easy handling, and tremendous, smooth power this bike offers. The cruise control is something we will never be without again.

Incredible bike. Would recommend it to anyone interested in a touring machine. It will take you, two up, wherever you want to go, as long as there is smooth paving ahead. Cheers!

Review Date: 10th August, 2012

First year of ownership1994
Most recent year of ownership2011
Most recent distance20000 miles
Previous motorcycleKawasaki 750 H2

Summary:

Best most reliable bike I've owned, with years of good road left in her

Reupholstered the seat. Otherwise, with good maintenance, no problems.

General Comments:

Very solid machine. I have ridden in NYC and the open road. Handles well in both environments. Put a new battery in after 2 years of storage.

Review Date: 17th June, 2011

1986 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII from United States of America

Model year1986
Year of manufacture1986
First year of ownership1993
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleKawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

Summary:

I'm sorry they don't make them anymore

Alternator at 38,000 miles.

Rear shocks at 46,000 (my fault for the shocks).

General Comments:

This bike is very agile and quick, with a very low center of gravity.

Review Date: 1st May, 2008

22nd Feb 2010, 09:36

Had one about 10 years ago and loved it. If they still made them, I'd be riding one now instead of a Royal Star Venture (which I love too). Best feature: It handled like a much smaller and lighter machine, superior to the handling of my prior bikes, '79 and '80 Gold Wings.

7th Dec 2010, 17:50

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 2000 Voyager. Is there a heated seat and grips I could add, and is it hard to do?

4th Nov 2011, 20:52

I bought the Heaterz 1" Bars (WRONG); you need the 7/8 inch ones. Real easy to install, and they work great here in the Northwest.

Cheers.

Model year1993
First year of ownership2003
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleHonda VF750C Magna

Summary:

Best bang for the buck in touring bikes!!

Fuse box, fuses, carb rebuild when I let it sit too long with old gasoline; nothing other than that.

General Comments:

I bought it after reading numerous reviews and determined it was the cheapest way to get into a touring bike (I wanted all of the amenities), and after reading the club message boards. Everyone liked them! I couldn't beat it for the money paid, and I still feel the same today.

It's a bit cramped for me though (6'2") and wish it was a bit more roomy. Clearly Kawa didn't update virtually anything in its 16 year run, so the competition ran away from it with their newer models. But, the cost to own it dropped all the more over time, and I still like it to this day. Sure, its dated design is evident, but everything works great. No problems with the CB, cassette radio, intercom system, speakers, trunk light, cruise control or anything like that. After adding great tires, fork brace, and progressive shocks, most all of the criticisms that I read about were cured. There's plenty of power and mileage ranges from 37-51!!!

Gripes: saddlebag lids need a connecting wire to the bags themselves, and better locks on them as well. Too little legroom for people 6' or more.

Review Date: 8th April, 2008

3rd Feb 2011, 18:41

I have owned three of these bikes (two for riding and one is for parts). I agree with everything this reviewer says. For the money though, this bike cannot be beaten. Kawasaki made the same bike for 17 years and only changed the colors. I am running an electrical part from my 1988 parts bike in my 2002 Voyager Xll - I must have 30,000 miles on that part. I am planning on taking this bike to Alaska this summer, and maybe to South America next year. Since this bike is a 1200, it has plenty of power, but IS NOT good for around town - it is too big unless someone wants to work real hard.

26th Apr 2013, 21:34

I am a 200 pound 6 foot male, and this bike is far more nimble than you can believe. I can u-turn in a single lane. Tire pressures play a big part in handling, and rider skill.