1993 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII from Germany

Summary:

Ride 200 miles without a visor on your helmet and still have a smile on your face when you arrive

Wrong alternator fitted by a previous owner (Suzuki) shorted and fried a lot of electrical (including the speedo/revcounter) components.

Clutch cage bearings worn out.

Speedo drive/gear rusted solid.

Turn signal cancelling stopped working.

General Comments:

I live in Germany and it's very difficult to get any of the plastic parts. However many of the components are used on other Kawasaki models. So with a bit of patience and the internet, alternatives can be found.

After a bad crash caused by a mysterious uncontrollable tank slapper at about 90mph, the fairing and trunk are destroyed and it's too expensive to get the parts second hand from the States to here (price + freight + import taxes + customs).

So it'll get rebuilt with the help of Vetter...

Apart from that, a wonderful bike that I enjoyed riding. Sure it had problems with the front end wobbling, but that was mostly a problem with fork pressure/tyre pressure and/or rear suspension set up.

It was a joy to ride either on the autobahn or in town, alone or two up with all our junk.

I'm thinking about buying another, but here in Germany they can be very expensive...

Review Date: 7th January, 2016

1993 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII from United States of America

Summary:

Fast, top heavy, forks tend to shimmy easy, and is low maintenance

Well, it's a very well engineered machine, as every Kawasaki I have owned through the decades has been. Fairly low maintenance machines. After 80,000+ miles, keep some synthetic 20-50 weight oil on hand.

General Comments:

Well, the main issues with this particular bike are that the forks tend to shimmy at take off at times, and when sharp bumps (holes, rocks, etc) are hit. Also, try to keep both hands on the handlebars, as it will start to shimmy a little going down the road sometimes, and could get uncontrollable. I'm looking at adding an aftermarket superbrace to see if that controls the forks shimmy issue.

The other issue is that it is very top heavy. You sit higher than the other full dress 1200+ bikes. Reminds me of my 1960s, and 70s Honda CBs; top heavy and 800-900 lbs, plus a rider sitting even higher, can get to be quite a workout!

Overall, it should still be on the road for much longer, as it's a "Kow", built in Nebraska!

Review Date: 12th August, 2015

1st May 2016, 03:45

If the front of the bike shimmies, your tires are cupped due to low pressure. If you keep the tire pressure slightly higher, tires will not cup as easy and the bike will be very smooth even if you remove your hands from handle bars briefly. You will notice when tires are brand new there is no tank slapping or shimmying.

1986 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII from United States of America

Summary:

Best bike bar none I have ever owned

Alternator replaced at 50000.

Speedometer cable at 45000.

Carburetor number 1 replaced at 46000.

Three rear brake light switches over the 23 years I owned the bike.

General Comments:

I couldn't recommend this bike enough; other than regular routine maintenance, repairs have been extremely minimal.

I'm 6'1" and feel there is plenty of room if you have a spill bar with floor boards, so you can kick back on long trips. Even the clutch is original.

I would honestly jump on this almost 29 year old bike and drive it anywhere with absolutely no reserve.

I also have a matching Kompact Kamp trailer that I tow behind the bike, and have no issues as she has plenty of power to spare.

My Voyager has plenty of custom chrome and has sceneries painted on the bags and trunk, along with wide white wall tires. It's as beautiful as the day I bought it almost 23 years ago. I've won many bike shows with it; even with its dated appearance, she is absolutely a looker.

You can pick these bikes up rather cheap, and I say don't even second guess your purchase. I've seen these go over 200k plus miles.

Review Date: 8th July, 2014