2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United States of America

Summary:

Great motorcycle that I will definitely keep

No mechanical issues with my ZRX so far.

General Comments:

The ZRX1200R is a very quick but heavy motorcycle. The roll-on acceleration is addictive. With careful throttle input it can be very nice at slow speeds. Turn in is excellent with Michelin tires.

The only thing I've done to my ZRX is regular maintenance, add a fuel stabilizer to the gas to protect the carbs, and change tires. Other than this, I've had no issues at all with it.

The seat is my only complaint. Very uncomfortable if you plan to spend the day riding. I have a Sargent Solo seat on order.

Review Date: 16th August, 2014

2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United States of America

Summary:

A very good, do anything bike

It dives on hard (emergency) brake application. However I'm still learning to make adjustments and to preload the rear brake before the front brake.

General Comments:

Comfortable, economical and dependable, powerful, good looking, a sleeper.

Rides good in snow or rain, hot or cold weather.

Review Date: 8th September, 2012

2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United States of America

Summary:

Kawasaki, bring back this model!!!

I have had three issues;

1) The carbs often get clogged due to our horrible gas. This requires removing and cleaning them (3-4 hours).

2) I had a coolant leak from the hose at the back of the engine. Solved by tightening the clamp.

3) The vacuum fuel petcock assembly failed, allowing the bike to stop running. You cannot purchase a rebuild kit for the petcock, and must purchase a new complete assembly for... $165.00.

General Comments:

This bike looks great. I get many positive comments, from BMW, Ducati and Harley riders, as well as riders of Japanese brands.

It has more power than other "naked bikes" or "standards". The Suzuki, Triumph and Honda competition have less power and torque.

The bike is made much better with a Sargent seat, Akro carbon slip on exhaust and braided brake lines.

This is my 2nd ZRX. I owned a blue 2003 from 2003 until 2008, before I foolishly sold it for what I paid new.

The ZRX1200R is still sold in Japan with fuel injection replacing the carbs. Kawasaki was foolish to discontinue the bike in the USA..

I will not sell this bike. Mods for this winter will include OHLINS shocks, revalved forks and a light weight battery. Looking for some light weight wheels too! So far, I have shaved 21 pounds off this heavy weight, and hope to lose 20 more.

Review Date: 6th December, 2011

2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from Canada

Summary:

The ZRX1200R is a classic example of a naked bike, modernized

Nothing.

General Comments:

Extremely torquey and quick.

Light feeling for a big motorcycle.

Very quiet in stock form.

Plenty of motorcycle for me.

Seat is not comfortable on longer rides.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2010

2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United States of America

Summary:

It is a great example of a standard bike

Have not had any problems with the Zrex.

General Comments:

This motorcycle is what a standard bike is all about. It has kept the style, performance, reliability that the Honda CB750 brought to the world in 1969. Why Honda walked away from this style is beyond me.

Has a wide powerband that is easy to control.

At real slow speeds, it gets a little ponderous, but that is inevitable, and one gets used to it.

I have modified the Zrex very little: 1) put 1" handlebar risers to move it up and back. 2) advanced the timing from 2 deg. to 4 deg. 3) Replaced stock muffler with carbon fiber to knock off about 10 pounds of dead, high weight. 4) added 1 tooth to the countershaft sprocket.

It gets great gas mileage for a 1200cc; 45mpg around town, and 55mpg on the road.

Review Date: 16th October, 2010

2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R from United States of America

Summary:

The ZXR1200R is perhaps the most versatile and capable motorcycle in the world for the money

No problems to date. Only required factory maintenance performed.

General Comments:

Typical Kawasaki reliability. Very strong engine with a load of torque for effortless low rpm operation.

Fit and finish are excellent. Retro look and modern engineering at its finest. Great riding position.

Brakes work well, but require some effort to bring the bike to a quick stop.

The transmission shifts very well, but has a fairly abrupt initial engagement from neutral into first gear.

Gas mileage is outstanding with typical 45-50 mpg returns with light to moderate throttle input. Perhaps the most bike you can get for the money. A shame it's no longer available in this country.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2009