2nd Jul 2005, 09:39

A really useful review. I've had my 7R for about 18 months. It's been a great bike, albeit one that's absolutely impossible to ride remotely sensibly.

Mine's standard, but it has been geared down with a tooth smaller front sprocket. This really does give it some pull, but it now runs into the limiter just past an indicated 160 mph (260 km/h). That's probably more like 145 when you remove the usual 10% speed over-read. However, considering the speed limit here in the UK is 70 mph and the courts are now routinely jailing people (clean record or not) for up to a year for going over 100 mph (160 km/h), that's plenty quick enough for me.

Your comments about the front end and the huge spread of torque ring bells, and I would like to second them if anyone is reading this wondering what the bike is like to ride. As long as you don't expect comfort or featherweight mass, you'll be laughing all the way to the nearest twisty road.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Dan (UK)

26th Mar 2007, 17:43

I've had my ZX7R five years, and I agree with the points made above. I'm now looking to replace it, but can't find anything as good to replace it. I am now thinking hard of being a two bike man, as I just can't part with my ZX7R.

20th Mar 2008, 12:41

All that above and very tough. Two crashes at 60 m/h and only fairing damage...about260 euros worth of damage each.

16th Jan 2011, 21:46

I have had my ZX7R for just on a year now, and I just love it!

I have had a few problems with mine, one being due to a butchered ignition wiring job by a previous owner, the other being the starter solenoid (which is being replaced today, so fingers crossed it will be as good as new).

I can't bear to part with this bike; for all that it is very heavy, it is hands down the best bike I have ever ridden through the twisty stuff... and that's where it counts, right?

I also rode it around Australia, and find it quite comfortable on the long haul as well (probably due to the awesomely padded seat), though around town the handlebars are probably a bit low.

Mine now has 123,000km on board, and the motor is still pulling strong.

16th May 2012, 14:14

I have been riding for about 30 years now, and have owned more bikes than I can count. Hayabusa's, Blades, 9r, 12r etc.

Of all those bikes, the one that I kept for the longest, and handled like it was glued to the road, was a 2001 RSV 1000. Nothing before or afterwards as much fun, or so much of a giant killer.

Then, about 2 months ago I bought my first ZX7R. What a shock! This bike is without doubt, the most rewarding to use I have owned. Not as much power as the big dogs, but you can use all of it without having a moment. The front end is near perfect, and the comfort is up there with the Honda Blackbird.

Yes, I commute it and have just completed a 300 mile day.

On my local roads, I can cover the miles as fast or even faster than the Mille.

I think I may just have found my next long term bike.

MODEL:

1997, ZR7R.

MODS:

Full stainless system.

Factory pro jet kit.

Airbox mods.

Oh, the best tyres I have found on most of my sports bikes are Metzeler Racetecs. Loads of grip and feedback.