A simple, reliable motorcycle that will surprise you with its capability
Cam chain tensioner gasket started leaking and was replaced.
In 50 years of riding, the DR650SE has been one of the most enjoyable bikes I have owned.
- It has been very reliable. In 31,000 miles, the ONLY repair was a cam chain tensioner paper gasket; easy to replace.
- Air/oil cooling, threaded valve lash adjusters, gear-driven counter balancer, and wet sump lubrication, means maintenance is simple and easy.
- It handles well. Suspension is great for road use and the brakes are adequate.
- It's remarkably smooth for a big single; much smoother than my KLR. This motor sounds and feels good at an indicated 75mph.
- The stock footpeg/seat/handlebar relationship is one of the best I've experienced. Easy on the shoulders/knees/back.
- The stock seat is a bit narrow and firm, but acceptable for an hour or so. It's certainly not a great long-distance tourer, but I've ridden it 400 miles in one day. An aftermarket windshield is a near-requirement for much highway use, however.
- As for size and weight, it's a bit heavy for serious off road work and a bit light for long-distance touring, but just about perfect for a daily commuter, backroad wanderer, and all-rounder motorcycle.
Would you buy another motorcycle from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 16th May, 2013