Suzuki DR650SE Reviews

Year of manufacture2006
First year of ownership2006
Most recent year of ownership2013
Previous motorcycleHonda GL1800A Gold Wing

Summary:

A simple, reliable motorcycle that will surprise you with its capability

Cam chain tensioner gasket started leaking and was replaced.

General Comments:

In 50 years of riding, the DR650SE has been one of the most enjoyable bikes I have owned.

- It has been very reliable. In 31,000 miles, the ONLY repair was a cam chain tensioner paper gasket; easy to replace.

- Air/oil cooling, threaded valve lash adjusters, gear-driven counter balancer, and wet sump lubrication, means maintenance is simple and easy.

- It handles well. Suspension is great for road use and the brakes are adequate.

- It's remarkably smooth for a big single; much smoother than my KLR. This motor sounds and feels good at an indicated 75mph.

- The stock footpeg/seat/handlebar relationship is one of the best I've experienced. Easy on the shoulders/knees/back.

- The stock seat is a bit narrow and firm, but acceptable for an hour or so. It's certainly not a great long-distance tourer, but I've ridden it 400 miles in one day. An aftermarket windshield is a near-requirement for much highway use, however.

- As for size and weight, it's a bit heavy for serious off road work and a bit light for long-distance touring, but just about perfect for a daily commuter, backroad wanderer, and all-rounder motorcycle.

Review Date: 16th May, 2013

2006 Suzuki DR650SE from United States of America

Year of manufacture2006
First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleSuzuki Boulevard C50

Summary:

Slick Dual Sport!

Nothing has really gone wrong with the motorcycle; I did remove the upper chain roller though, as I have read in other forums that this could dislodge while in motion, causing the roller to literally "shoot" through the plastics on the side of the bike. This is probably the one mistake Suzuki made with this bike, as the upper chain roller serves really no purpose at all (positioned way too high to be of use for the chain).

General Comments:

I have owned this DR650SE now for 3 months. In that time, I have put on about 400 miles. I ride almost entirely on the streets, as off-roading holds little interest for me (but, would like to try it sometime though). For the most part, this bike (my 6th bike) has met my expectations, and has exceeded in some areas.

For a 652cc single cylinder (thumper), this bike has a lot of low end torque, and a decent high end. It is among the most stable bikes I have ever owned, as the tall, knobby wheels really hold the ground well. The bike corners well, and with its light weight, it is very nimble. The gauges are easy to read, and everything seems quite accessible, especially for maintenance (which is very easy to do, mind you).

The main con with this bike, as well as this being the case with many dual sports, is the exceptionally uncomfortable stock seat. I mean, I think Suzuki purposely makes this thing as rock hard as possible! I would have given the comfort level a one or two star, but I have added a Stearns ATV seat pad, which has DRAMATICALLY improved the comfort level. In fact, I can now ride quite comfortably for over an hour without having discomfort (before, my rear end was in unbelievable pain after 10-15 minutes).

All in all, a nice bike, great looking, durable plastics, very nimble and stable, great low end torque, and I am sure it would be fun for off-roading (however, I would think this 350lb bike would be a bit heavy for that). Plus, I get 52-55mpg on a constant basis! I highly recommend the bike; just be sure to do something about the seat!

Review Date: 2nd November, 2008