1979 Suzuki GS850 from United Kingdom

Summary:

Ahead of its time

Seat cover needed replacing. Had trouble sourcing the original so settled for 'pattern' replacement ordered from the Internet. First one that arrived was too small. Had trouble convincing the vendor that their records were wrong. I have known this actual bike since it was just a year old so knew that the saddle was original.

When I first got the bike, it had only done about 1000 miles in the last 10 years and been laid up in my mates garage. So it was scruffy and tired. Even though one carb is leaking, it goes really well, apart from a slight hesitation as you pull away from a standing start at low revs. The brakes were woeful too. I changed the rear pads and bled front and back systems. A ride out with a few mates on modern bikes soon had all the pads and discs

beautifully scrubbed off and working at their best! Obviously no match to modern bikes, but good enough for me to have to crush the tank with my knees when I stand on the anchors.

General Comments:

She's a big old lump. Falls round corners and by todays standards has a skinny back tyre. But I love it. It's tall and heavy. It has a choke, points and a feeble headlight. But what the heck? Even two up, she has held her own from the lights against a tricked up scooby (much to the annoyance of the Mrs who was convinced that any further and I would have been going even faster due to less weight on board).

We cruise the motorways comfortably at 80, uphill and down dale mile after mile. When angry it could sound better as it flies round the rev counter, but at low revs when you open the throttle it has a very satisfying grunt and pulls well. A beaut in town so long as you check out your footing before you stop. If this thing starts to fall, you ain't going to stop it.

Review Date: 16th January, 2009

1979 Suzuki GS850 from United States of America

Summary:

Great fun... good for getting back into motorcycling!

Slight crack in the gauge assembly. It leaked some fuel at first, but this was fixed with an adjustment of the petcock.

General Comments:

I'm just getting back into motorcycling after being away from it for MANY years.

This bike came my way quite unexpectedly, and though I had my doubts about purchasing such a dated machine, it is GREAT so far. Good acceleration when needed. Great on the highway and the back road. It has been powerful enough to get my old skills awakened, but gentle enough for rides with my young daughters.

Fun bike, and easily serviceable (so far).

If you have a chance at one... go for it!

Review Date: 5th May, 2008

1979 Suzuki GS850 from United Kingdom

Summary:

Superb

When I bought this bike it had been dry stored in a heated garage for twenty odd years, and although in mint condition, both silencers had rusted on the underside. These I replaced with a pair of SITO pattern silencers, which actually seemed to be of better quality than the originals.

They also sounded better than the originals without being noisy.

General Comments:

Having owned almost sixty bikes from 1960 until now, this is my favourite for smooth, comfortable and completely reliable riding.

Wherever I go, people admire it and can't believe how old it is.

My wife agrees it's the most comfortable bike she has ever ridden pillion on.

Because it's the first version of this model, it has contact breaker points and coil ignition, which makes maintenance easy with no fears about ignitor suddenly dying in the middle of nowhere.

Only problem with this bike for me is that the seat is a tad high for my short legs, making slow speed manoeuvring a tad scary! But that's my fault, not the bikes.

Review Date: 1st January, 2008