1992 Suzuki GSX1100G from United States of America

Summary:

Wish Suzuki still made UJM styled shaft drive bikes; not everyone wants a Harley

Oil jet plugged (top end overhaul).

Forks rebuilt.

Clutch disks and slave cylinder.

Rebuilt carbs.

Both gauge needles snapped off (replaced with China gauge set).

Oil leak from custom valve cover oil feed (silver soldered it).

Original tank rusted through; bought a used one and epoxy sealed it.

General Comments:

This bike was a project bike that had sat out for a long time up north. I bought it since it had the rare factory fairing, although it needed a windshield and pocket covers (made some from PVC). Surprisingly a lot of parts are still available for it. I rebuilt the forks, replaced all wheel and later head bearings, new brakes & tires, replaced the 1" bars with a higher rise 7/8" bar with Hayabusa controls, added a China gauge panel, adapted a gear position indicator from an older Suzuki GS, modded the oil feed for the cooler and valve cover to use AN fittings, added a homemade Y-fitting for valve cover feed, added a tail trunk with additional LED rear lights and added rectangular LED turn signals and electronic flasher. Replaced the OEM headlight with a Hella E-code and a Nineo LED H4 bulb, which makes night riding far better. The most bothersome thing about it (like most older bikes) is having to mess with the carbs. If a modern fuel injected bike like this one was sold, I'd buy it. Oh, and the airbox is the dumbest design I've ever seen on a bike - it is non-removable until you pull the engine. I run a K&N air filter.

I use it to ride to and from work on dry days, about 300 miles per week. It is not as comfortable as my older GS1000G with a Vetter Windjammer, but it is more powerful and once I sorted the carbs it is a very reliable bike that gets decent gas mileage, although ethanol-free gas is a lot more per gallon than government-subsidized crap gas. It's not bad to work on, I have done a lot to it these past 7 years. The tire sizes are somewhat hard to find in an affordable tire. I'm currently running Metzelers front (Z6) and rear (Z8) with Dyna beads for balance.

I added an oil temperature gauge with the sender in an oil filter adapter, and an oil pressure gauge. The cooler really works, since in 50 degree weather I never see temps over 120. So far this year, I have seen temps of around 150 degrees in 80 degree ambient. It heats up quickly when idle. If there was room, I'd add an oil thermostat.

I love UJM style bikes with shaft drives and wish Suzuki would have sold the GSX1400 here with a shaft drive. Someday I may convert it to fuel injection.

Review Date: 10th February, 2019

1992 Suzuki GSX1100G from United States of America

Summary:

If you like older bikes with a touch of modern charm, you will like this bike

Plastic choke mounting nut broke, but could have been from the bike tipping over.

General Comments:

The bike runs great, cold blooded at first start, but gets better as you get a regular starting pattern down.

Handles heavy at slow speeds, but it is a heavy bike and you get used to it.

Smooth power band, and if you take it easy you get good MPG.

Shifts smooth and is very nimble at higher speeds.

Review Date: 29th April, 2016

1992 Suzuki GSX1100G from Canada

Summary:

One of the most interesting bikes I have owned to date

Nothing yet, but I have questions on non sport handling. Solutions could be lower bars, rear-sets for bike?

Also front tire is cupped, what was the cause, tire inflation or forks, heard both sides of this?

General Comments:

I love this bike, and its looks and awesome power! Insurance was cheap, and from all I have read it is easy to maintain and bullet proof.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2011

23rd Jul 2012, 15:47

Any ideas of crash bars for the G?

1992 Suzuki GSX1100G from United States of America

Summary:

It is the most powerful and dependable bike I have owned to date

The fork seals were replaced 4 years ago and are showing signs of wear again.

The bike eats front tires every 2 years of riding.

The clutch tends to tighten up in stop and go driving in hot weather.

General Comments:

I think the style and looks are great.

The bike can cruise on the highway @ 70 mph at 4000 rpm.

Review Date: 13th June, 2009

1992 Suzuki GSX1100G from United States of America

Summary:

Puts a smile on my face every time I twist the throttle

Bike had been sitting for years; flushed all fluids, rebuilt clutch slave cylinder, replaced rear shock, replaced fork seals, cleaned carbs, replaced rear brake pads, and had the seat recovered as she had sat outside for some time.

These monsters are fast. Eats up tires, and rear brake pads in 10,000 miles.

General Comments:

Great motorcycle. Runs awesome. It is much faster than I am.

I've been riding 30 years. Not a bike for a newbie. It will hurt you if you're not careful.

Review Date: 24th October, 2007

1992 Suzuki GSX1100G from United States of America

Summary:

Impressive middle age sport tourer, with plenty of guts, stability and fair looks

Minor oil leak, unsure if it's from an oil cooler fitting or cylinder case etc...

General Comments:

Solid ride, good handling, slightly cramped for tall folks -6'2" or taller.

Could use better mirrors - too close to the center, restricts view a bit.

First shaft drive I've ridden at 130mph+.

Oddly, attractive.

Dependable as an anvil.

Engine lives happily between the 80's era GS 750/1100 E models and the hyper-bike class.

Easy enough to live with, but still a little busy for a cruiser class machine.

Review Date: 30th December, 2006

1992 Suzuki GSX1100G from United States of America

Summary:

Good for its time

General Comments:

I used to own a 1992 GSX1100G. Had it for 1 or 3 years. I developed knee problems and the angle from my knee to the peg hurt my knee. Had to sell it. Did my own valve work on this bike.

Review Date: 12th August, 2005