Suzuki RF900R Reviews

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2000
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleHonda VF750S V45 Sabre

Summary:

Best value for money ever

Absolutely nothing.

General Comments:

This motorcycle, apart from being a pleasure to ride, has to be the most reliable machines ever built. I purchased it from someone that rarely rode it, with a little over 6,000kms on the clock, and it is about to roll over 110,000kms. Apart from basic maintenance (changing fluids, filters, chain, sprockets, etc), it has required no work. Admittedly, it gets ridden almost every day of the week - commuting to work, joy rides and quick trips to the shop. Whatever the secret, congratulations must go to those boffins at Suzuki.

On an interesting side note, I am not a huge fan of the look of the earlier RF900s, but the Manta Ray is very easy on the eye and random strangers often compliment the bike - hurray for British racing green!

Overall, it is the perfect race/tourer cross.

Review Date: 6th December, 2010

1997 Suzuki RF900R from United States of America

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2009
Most recent distance19960 miles
Previous motorcycleHarley-Davidson XLCH Sportster

Summary:

Great fun for short money

Blown brake light bulb, and blown blinker bulb.

General Comments:

I really like these bikes. I test rode a 95 RF600R a while back, trying to trade it for my 86 Trans Am. Ever since, I've wanted one. I was searching craigslist and found the one... a 1997 RF900R with just under 18k for $2200, I scooped it up for $1800.

The bike looks amazing! It's clean as a whistle, and runs great. It was repainted, but they did a great job. It's a 97, with the slightly different paint scheme of the 98. It has a full 2.5" D&D pipe going to a D&D can. Sounds great, comfy as hell, and damn fun. It's not the fastest on the road, but it will get up and go when needed. One big turn on for me was that it won't lift the front wheel by just rolling on the throttle... unless you regear it.

Being my "first" bike, since I rode my Harley all of 4 times in the 3 months I owned it due to it not running right, I was very excited to get it. I've been riding several times a week and the bike just loves it.

I would highly recommend these bikes to anyone. They are comfortable, handle well, quick, and fun.

Review Date: 9th October, 2009

1994 Suzuki RF900R from United States of America

First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2009
Previous motorcycleHonda CB750

Summary:

Suzuki RF900R... Everything a great all around sport bike should be

So far it's been a great bike, the only problem has been a broken choke cable.

General Comments:

This bike is fast. I don't want to be thought of as one of those kind of sport bike riders that is dangerous on public streets, but the bike will pull the front tire off the road easy with no clutch. At speed in 4th gear, the bike will squeal the rear tire with ease.

The bike is well balanced and feels good under the rider, however the seat is a little slippery. I do my own work on my bikes so I made it a point to learn how to take off all the plastic for this reason. The good news is I don't have to do this a lot, but it can seem to take a bit of time.

I love this bike, and you will to if you get one.

Review Date: 25th March, 2009

1994 Suzuki RF900R from United Kingdom

First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleSuzuki GS750L

Summary:

Fantastic

General Comments:

Extremely UNDER rated and would blow your socks off the moment the front wheel lifts off the ground with pure acceleration. Not a clutch wheelie!!!

Review Date: 15th April, 2008

1995 Suzuki RF900R from United Kingdom

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership2005
Most recent year of ownership2007
Previous motorcycleAprilia SL1000 Falco

Summary:

Cheap, but can be made better cheaply too

The odd bulb, front discs warped, fork seals.

General Comments:

I swapped my Aprilia Falco for this with a local biker. He wanted a big sports V twin and I wanted something a little more roomy to tour on.

Man, what a difference. Where the Aprilia was sharp and razor like this thing is just like an oil tanker on a suicide mission! First impressions were not good. The brakes were warped and had little feeling at the lever, and were lacking in power compared to the Aprilia.

The engine... I was surprised how much it needed revving to get anywhere as quickly as the Aprilia. In contrast the Falco was like comparing a sledgehammer with a toffee hammer!

I still swapped though, as I thought the Suzi had potential to be a great bike with just a few tweaks.

Firstly I gave her a damn good service, did the valve clearances, oil, all filters, flushed out the rad and cooling system and replaced the cam chain.

Then I removed the engine and stripped down the chassis, replaced all the bearings, replaced the fork seals and re built with Hagon progressive springs, and got the shock rebuilt by Hagon with a spring to suit my weight and riding style. (£500 very well spent inc forks!)

The bodywork was treated to the odd internal strengthening patch, tided up and repainted Gloss black along with the frame. I then added chrome vinyl decals and gave it 12 coats of laquer for a glass like finish... I was a little happy with the results!

It all went back together no problems, and while I was doing that I replaced all the rubber coolant hoses for red silicone and renewed the fuel line. I also stripped and refurbed the brakes and renewed the rotors and swapped out the rubber brake hoses for braided steel.

Finally I altered the rear sprocket for one with two more teeth for some extra drive!

The result is a bike that now handles, brakes and goes way better than stock, although it is a heavy bike, this is OK as it feels very solid and planted on the road where the Aprilia always felt like it was barely on the road.

This summer I did a 2000 mile round trip around Scotland and the RF performed brilliantly. It was comfortable, reliable, economical (within reason!) and the weight of the bike always made sure it felt stable and dependable.

I would recommend one to anybody, but be aware that they go rough quickly and need looking after. Most people would not have rebuilt the bike as I did, but then I had the time and the worry of a big trip ahead of me, so thought it best to do it. The bike would have done the trip without a rebuild of that I'm sure, but I doubt it would have been as capable when it arrived!

Review Date: 24th November, 2007

19th May 2010, 17:16

My old RF900R has 70,000 miles on the clock. Has been thrashed, crashed and bashed. I'm giving the old thing a rebuild and face lift before we tour Ireland and the UK this summer.

4th Dec 2010, 20:22

I have a 1996 RF900R with 75,000 kms on the clock. This summer I replaced the shims on the valves, overhauled the carbs and added a stage 1 jet kit, plus a K N air filter and a Yoshimura end can. I also installed a new battery and a Givi windscreen, LED signals and a set of Bridgestone BT 021 tires. What a difference! My old RF now rockets out of turns, and goes from 0 to 100 kms as fast as any bike on the road. It will also tour all day at 140 kms an hour without a whimper. Best bike I have ever owned.

1994 Suzuki RF900R from United Kingdom