2003 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder from New Zealand

Summary:

I love it...

Nothing has gone wrong.

The bike backfired a bit on over-run, so I altered the very lean factory settings, and the tractor is real smooth and pulls really well...

General Comments:

Just fitted a Metzler Marathon 888 to the rear and this tyre feels really good compared to the original Bridgestones.

The only negative is that it can take a lot of time (when compared to a fully faired bike) to keep it pristine. I.e. lots of chrome and spokes etc...

Review Date: 18th August, 2014

2003 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder from United States of America

Summary:

Awesome MC that has little to no maintenance needed

Nothing has gone wrong... Knock on wood. Just the normal wear and tear, and tune ups.

General Comments:

Was a little weary about my purchase originally, but have not regretted it a day since my purchase. The bike still gets compliments all the time, to include HD riders. My wife has an 800 Intruder and she gets the same.

Ample power at speed when needed to avoid hazards or pass vehicles, and great gas mileage.

A funny note, unless another rider is hardcore HD enthusiast, I get asked if it's a Harley quite often. Best choice I made.

Review Date: 13th July, 2012

2003 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder from United States of America

Summary:

All around a great bike

I have had to replace the battery. Just not a big deal.

The clutch springs caused clutch slippage. I bought new "Designer" springs and fixed that.

General Comments:

I traded a 1999 Honda Valkyrie for this 2003 Suzuki Intruder 1400. It was a good trade. I traded because I started commuting back and forth to work on the motorcycle, and the gas mileage on the Valkyrie was killing me. When I rode the Intruder home for the first time, I knew that I had made a great decision. The Intruder has tons of torque, the V-twin feels right, and it cruises down the interstate effortlessly. The gas mileage is twice that of the Valkyrie.

When I bought this bike, it was used and completely stock. I have added CM2 drag pipes, re-adjusted the mixture screws and added Designer clutch springs. I also added engine guards and highway pegs. No bags or windshield for me thanks. Now it's pretty close to perfect. The last time I counted, I had owned 32 motorcycles in my life. Of those three were Harleys, one was a Triumph, and the rest were metric bikes. I'm not sure that I would go as far as to say that this is the best bike that I have ever owned, but I really like it. It's in the top five.

The 1400 engine is pretty big for the overall size of the bike. It pulls hard, real hard. I've never drag raced it, but I personally feel like it would hold its own with the Valkyrie.

The one thing about this bike that is it's biggest shortcoming is that it sucks to be a passenger on this thing. My wife hates the short backrest, and refuses to ride for more than a couple of miles on this thing. I however, riding solo, have ridden 400 miles a day with no issues.

Compared to the Valkyrie or a Harley, the suspension is soft. Not dangerously soft, but softer than other makes. For an old guy like me, it's a good thing. I can still push it through the mountains with no trouble.

Review Date: 1st January, 2012

2003 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder from United States of America

Summary:

A modern day chopper made reliable

Nothing has gone wrong with this bike that can be attributed to the bike. I did buy a tire and the installer pinched the inner tube. It had a slow leak and I had to replace that, which I did myself at home. But, this bike has never had a mechanical issue at all.

General Comments:

This bike looks really great. I prefer the chopper look, and this is as close as you will get from Japan.

The big 1400cc engine makes more than enough power for the size and weight of the bike. I ride with guys who have bigger V-twin engines, and I can still make them eat my dust. I will say that I have added a set of Santee drag pipes and the sound of the bike has improved over the stock mufflers. I never cared for the stock sound of the VS1400 pipes. The Cobra slip-ons have a nice sound also.

The seating position of the bike is good for me. I am 6'2 and find that I can ride this bike all day. I should mention that my bike still has the stock seat, which I find to be perfectly suitable. I had a Virago with a similar looking seat, but it was horrible. This seat works.

The suspension is a shade soft. That is not a bad thing out on the interstate. It's not bad for cruising through the mountains as long as you just let the sport bikes pass you.

The brakes will stop you. But, typical for Suzuki cruisers, they squeak. I have a buddy with a 1500 Intruder and his squeak just like mine. It's a Suzuki thing.

I traded a Honda Valkyrie in for this bike, because I wanted a V-twin and the gas mileage was terrible on the Honda. To most people's surprise, I actually prefer this bike over the Valkyrie. The VS1400 is a bike that allows me to kick back and really enjoy a day in the mountains. Everything about the VS says lay back and enjoy the day.

I have owned about 25 motorcycles in 35 years of riding. Although none of them were perfect, this one suits my personality really well. It's got what I need when I need it and does it with no complaints.

Review Date: 14th October, 2009

22nd Nov 2010, 15:06

About the brake squeak. There is a very simple cure. Take out the pads and file a 45 degree champher (angle) on the leading edge. I always file the leading edge when I install new pads or if they begin to squeak, and in my experience, this solves it.

11th Apr 2011, 02:48

I agree with the file a 45 degree champher trick. Every bike I have owned, when I replaced pads or shoes, I filed a generous angle on the leading edge.

I don't have to now though, because my high frequency hearing is stuffed, and I can't hear the squeal. As I found out when my son in-law was on the back and mentioned my squeaky brakes. What squeaky brakes?