Suzuki XF650 Freewind Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2011
Distance when acquired62000 kilometres
Most recent distance64000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleYamaha Scorpio

Summary:

One sweeeeet ride

Nuthin'. Little bit of backfire on the overrun, but fixing that means work. So I ain't doin' it.

General Comments:

I went from a little Yammie Scorpio to this Freewind recently. I tried out a Kwaka W650, but that handled like a pig and tried to spit me off round a bumpy corner, so no deal.

On the other hand, the Freewind handled even BETTER than the Scorpio (high praise indeed), but rode much softer, saving me from backache. Cornering didn't seem at all limited, where the Scorp used to freak me out with vibes from the muffler on my foot when leaned right over.

I don't get blown all around thanks to the fairing, the engine's smooth enough not to numb my hands (which the Scorp did sometimes), and now I've got the grunt to whip past slow farts in cars, and keep up a good canter without straining the bejeesus out of the rev range, a standard feature of the Scorp.

Now the Freewind's done some k's, but it has a big oil cooler, and it feels well built, everything works as it should. Love the digital dash, fun on a long run to keep playing with the numbers.

The Freewind's as big a bike as I want, don't need to go faster, but I can troll along in comfort as far as I want, and still slow down to explore if the urge arises. The 19" front wheel isn't exactly enduro max, but helps a lot with street handling, and feels safer in the rain. I didn't want a dirt bike, just something cheap and reliable that makes riding anywhere fun and a real pleasure.

I have definitely found it here.

Review Date: 2nd April, 2011

Most recent year of ownership2007
Distance when acquired7 kilometres
Most recent distance58000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleSuzuki GSX-R1100

Summary:

Best there is in Duel sport. 10 out of 10

My Freewind had a starter motor fail @ 23,000 klm's. Replacement cost $500 au.

General Comments:

For a bike built as a road and trail duel sport, I would have to give the Freewind 10 out of 10.

I have traveled around Australia for the last 5 years, and apart from normal wear and tear, brake pads, tyres etc, the bike has been 100% reliable. Apart from a failed starter motor early in its life, no problems at all.

I just love the flexibility of this duel sport; Suzuki went badly wrong when they discontinued this model.

It can cruise 2 up with the top box fully loaded at 120-130 klm's all day every day, and can out corner and out brake most mid sized sporties.

As for styling? Each to their own, but I love the euro looks and styling. The LCD dash is fantastic!

Faults, I can honestly say, nothing worth mentioning.

Improvements, fit Metzler MT duel sport tyres asap, wear better and handle much better on and off road than the Italian counterparts.

Highly recommend this bike; I've been riding for 37 years, and this is the friendliest and most forgiving bike I've ever owned.

Review Date: 7th July, 2007