Triumph Rocket III Review

Year of manufacture2004
First year of ownership2006
Most recent year of ownership2006
Previous motorcycleKawasaki ZX-6R

Summary:

Surprisingly easy to ride and live with!

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the bike so far, although I have done less than 1000 miles on it.

General Comments:

The Rocket 3 is blisteringly quick for a bike its size.

It handles extremely well considering the weight, although given the cruiser styling, it cannot be leaned far into corners as with a sports bike.

The brakes (from the 955i) are fantastic, easy progressive stopping power from any speed.

Clutch is featherlite, and can be operated with one finger.

Review Date: 14th September, 2006

5th Oct 2009, 15:37

I own one of these... 7/10 acceleration??? Right... stock bike out drags a Hayabusa from 0-60. Google it... it's true. Call me crazy, but that might make 10/10 acceleration on a bike that is classified as a heavy cruiser.

15th Nov 2009, 15:22

I would be interested to hear the views of any of our vertically challenged Rocket 3 owners. I believe that the seat height is quite low but wide. Being only 5' 7", I am not sure if the bike would be too big for me. I have previously owned a Honda Goldwing 1500SE, which I could just about manage. Any comments or views would be appreciated.

6th Feb 2012, 07:52

I too am of slighter stature, also measuring 5' 7" in height.

I have owned my Rocket III Roadster for nearly a year, and have commuted through London traffic every day.

It handles beautifully and is lovely to drive in my opinion. I am however buying a cheap 350 to commute on.

You are right about the seat, it is a little wide and I am looking for a different option seat-wise. Because of its weight, you can't save it from a minor incident. One just has to accept you have to put it down.

The balls of my feet are both on the ground at stationary, but I can't help thinking a slightly lower and narrower seat would help.

My Triumph dealer said they could have it narrowed by someone they know, but I have also found Corbin do a seat which is narrower and slightly lower. Very expensive of course, but might very well make all the difference in the world, and be worth the expense.

It's a fantastic machine, Triumph are clever!

Average review marks: 7.3 / 10, based on 1 review