Triumph Speed Triple Reviews

Year of manufacture2007
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous motorcycleYamaha YBR125

Summary:

A fun, flexible hooligan!

Randomly, the bike stalled in traffic. I had to bump start it down hill. Never re-occurred since?!

General Comments:

Brilliant!

The best fun I have yet had on a bike. I've test driven quite a lot!

The acceleration is awesome (as long as you can keep the front end down).

The in-gear performance is great, you can be very lazy and leave in fourth or fifth most of the day, there is just so much torque.

Long distance is sometimes uncomfortable. Though I have done Bristol to Peterborough and back in a day with no great discomfort.

The economy has been a revelation! Today I ran from Bristol to Gosport and then back up as far as Salisbury before I had to refuel. (153.2 miles and 3.06 gallons = 50.1 mpg, meaning a theoretical range of 198 miles).

I regularly get 44mpg from this, and she doesn't get an easy life ;)

I would recommend this bike to anyone, especially in Roulette Green!

Review Date: 7th August, 2011

2002 Triumph Speed Triple from United States of America

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2007
Most recent year of ownership2007
Previous motorcycleHonda CB750 Nighthawk

Summary:

Excellent!

Nothing. When I initially purchased this bike, I took it in and had recall work done. Recalls were done satisfactorily, and the bike has had no problems whatsoever.

General Comments:

This is my second road bike, and I have logged about 12,000 miles over the last 2 years. I love this bike, and am a total convert to the brand.

The bike has the most even power curve I have ever experienced in any vehicle, and every aspect of performance is outstanding.

Review Date: 12th June, 2007

Most recent year of ownership2007
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance7834 kilometres
Previous motorcycleDucati 750 Sport

Summary:

A lively love affair

Occasionally, the speedo won't work. To fix it, turn off the bike and turn it on again.

General Comments:

The bike I own is called Lucy. This is how she got her name.

Speed Triple - Speed Trip - Trip - LSD - Lucy in the sky with diamonds - Lucy.

What is she like to live with?

She handles curves like a sports bike and she stops like a sports bike, but she doesn't hurt your wrists like a sports bike.

She is very pleasant to spend time with, except for one thing - her seat. It is an instrument of torture so hideous that it's in breach of the Geneva Convention.

Add to this the fact that I am still yet to find anyone who does an after-market replacement for the 2004 model. Plenty for the models before and after, but none for poor old Lucy. Maybe my bony 42 year old bum is the problem, but after 2 hours I'm fussing and squirming and standing up, anything to relieve the suffering. Oh, and by the way, I ALREADY have the gel seat. The standard seat was worse!

But would I swap her? Not for anything. She is the perfect lover. Always willing, always ready, fast, fun and ever so good looking. And just like every affair, pain will get you in the end.

Review Date: 7th June, 2007

28th Jun 2007, 02:44

I wrote this survey a few weeks ago, and now the problem with the speedo is getting worse. It seems to be affected by temperature. I'll take it back to the dealer and see what he says.

2nd Dec 2007, 04:14

Nice review, really like your sense for humour.

Just wish I had a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket, because I now know where I would spend it.

2003 Triumph Speed Triple from Canada

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2002
First year of ownership2004
Most recent year of ownership2005
Distance when acquired50 kilometres
Most recent distance45000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleHonda CB550 Four

Summary:

This manufacturer is well worth the price of admission

General Comments:

Just regular maintenance with synthetic oil keeps this Triple flyin' all year 'round.

I replace the tires every 8-10000Ks and it sees hard usage most of the time.

It is seriously cool machinery, very fast and handles well compared to other naked bikes.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2005

21st Feb 2005, 14:15

This is an excellent machine with great potential for tuning. My 1995 Speed Triple still looks modern and is capable of making any rider grin when you gun it. The only major problem with these early Triumphs is the dreaded sprag clutch. This is the device which enables the starter to turn the engine over. They all and I mean ALL fail eventually with some expiring in less than 16000 miles. This is an engine out job in most cases and can cost £600 or more to rectify if taken to a dealer.

Although this leaves a nasty taste in the mouth, once the mod is done, you should have no more problems. The later bikes are OK though.