Triumph Trophy 900 Reviews

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleTriumph Daytona

Summary:

I will ride it until it outlives me

The low-speed operation (idle range) had always been erratic.

Speedometer replaced at 9000 miles. It started slipping above 80mph.

Clock stops and starts, but not when riding. Perhaps a connection problem, as the vibration is perhaps helping.

General Comments:

General: Strong as a tank and understandably heavy but the skill comes easy with it. A modified chain guard is needed to keep underside of top-box and port side pannier clean. I use a tank bag, especially when touring, to 'compensate' for (probably over) weight carried in the top-box.

Mechanics: Unbreakable motor!!! Just checked valve clearances and are still within specification!

Electrics: Will change to a gel-battery to 'reduce' battery maintenance! I'm 61 and want to make my life easier. I ride little at night, but will try these 'blue-H4's.

Seating: Pillion is very happy. Have back-rest pad (Triumph-part) for her on top-box. I think rider's seat is too hollow. Might modify a secondhand one to try out.

Review Date: 4th March, 2008

1997 Triumph Trophy 900 from Belgium

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2007
Most recent year of ownership2008
Distance when acquired23000 kilometres
Most recent distance27000 kilometres

Summary:

Great bike with superb design

Nothing has gone wrong up till now. Although there is a slight sound in the engine, which according to a Triumph specialist appears to be a broken bolt in the alternator.

Appears to be a common problem in the 900 engines from Triumph. Can be fixed, but requires the engine to be opened.

General Comments:

Comfort is great, I really love this bike, and the design is superb. Would definitely take another Triumph.

Eager to test the Rocket III. Completely other style, but such a great bike it looks to me.

It has a fantastic torque, giving it power at any speed and RPM. Open the throttle and you just keep on accelerating, just great.

And the best part is that - although the bike looks heavy - it is very maneuverable. I started with this bike, being it my first ever, and it handles as easy as if you you've been riding for ages.

Review Date: 10th February, 2008

11th Jun 2008, 12:41

The alternator bolt is (AFAIR) a recall issue; you should get it done for free as the wrong bolts were used for a while.

1997 Triumph Trophy 900 from United Kingdom

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2005
Previous motorcycleTriumph Trophy 900

Summary:

1990's classic

None.

General Comments:

My motorcycle has been extremely reliable, although in fairness my mileage is very low.

This is the second Trophy I have owned and it has the 1996 onward fairing. The fairing has 2 weakness in my opinion, 1) there is no wind protection for your feet and 2) the screen is too low. The second problem can easily fixed by buying a replacement screen from Clearview who are excellent (there is no financial connection between us).

The center of gravity is high and I do not recommend the bike for anyone under 5'9", although I note one of the other reviewers is 5'4". I am 6'1" and the bike is just right.

Power and acceleration are fine, I have the 3 cylinder 900cc engine which just sounds great.

There is a great owners forum over at yahoo groups, which I highly recommend you check out if you interested in buying a Trophy.

I think this is a bike that will last for decades, and as such they make a great second hand buy. They are a great ride and I am very happy with my bike.

Review Date: 17th January, 2005