2001 Yamaha Road Star Silverado Reviews

Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous motorcycleHonda VT1100C2 Shadow ACE

Summary:

So far not impressed

Cold nature to start and throttle response is terrible.

General Comments:

This scooter feels heavy to handle, and with the factory handle bars, very uncomfortable, I'm hoping that after replacing with swept back riser drag bars, it gets better.

The throttle response is poor. I was told after I jet the carburetor and replace the factory exhaust, it will change drastically. So far, I have to say I'm not impressed.

After buying new bars, jet kit and exhaust and labor, I'll have been better off buying something else, in short, factory equipment not good, after market necessities expensive.

Review Date: 24th April, 2011

Year of manufacture2000
First year of ownership2005
Most recent year of ownership2006

Summary:

This is my bike, there are others, this one is mine

Nothing really.

General Comments:

I love this bike. His name is Clyde. That's short for Clydesdale. However, all stock bikes are just a good place to start.

Factory installed Dunlops - not my first choice at all. I replaced them with Metzler 880's. A 200% improvement in every way.

I've done far too many modifications to list here. Some for performance, others for handling or simply to make him a little "Perdiyer". Just getting started.

I am far from a kid. I spent 35 years on HD's. I mean a REAL Biker. Nothing wrong with an HD. Unless you're riding it down to the bar to say, Hey baby, I've got a HARLEY.

I highly recommend this bike. Or whatever make or style you choose as long as you're riding it 'cuz you love it. Remember, convertibles are for people who don't have the guts to REALLY feel free.

Review Date: 11th October, 2006

17th Dec 2007, 22:05

I bought a 2000 Silverado, loaded and with after market pipes.

I really like it... I do get headaches riding it.. It does do some vibrating. Could that be the culprit?

Anybody else comment please? Every riders choice has no bad reports.. so it must be "me".

26th Dec 2007, 12:28

We own a Gold Wing and a V-Max, and were storing an 01 Yamaha Road Star 1600 for a friend. The Road Star is incredible! The wing is now for sale and we are proud Road Star owners. I have had bikes all my life, this one out cruises them all. My wife and I love it! Let's ride!!!

Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2004
Most recent year of ownership2005

Summary:

It is a great road bike for experienced riders

Other than the seat release being cantankerous, I have had virtually no problems with this bike. Although I do sometimes wish it had fuel injection. It is a little cold blooded when the temp gets below 50.

General Comments:

I looked at Harleys before I bought my "Yamahog". But I would have paid TWICE as much to get a comparable bike.

The Road Star is 1600 cc with lots of torque. It has the same basic engine and drive set up as a Harley. Since I installed Cobra Longshot pipes, even my HD riding friends admit that it sounds great!

I love this bike. I think I stole it at $8100.00.

Review Date: 4th February, 2005