2004 Yamaha V-Star Silverado Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired24000 kilometres
Most recent distance50000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleYamaha XS1100

Summary:

Only bike I would give this up for would be a Roadliner, and that's only because of increased cc

The only problem I have had with the bike, based on its factory parts, was with the light bar. I was getting wire shorts, and kept blowing my light fuse. This was due to the wires rubbing on the light bar housing. It was a simple fix.

I did have backfire problems with the bike, due to incorrectly installed jets in the carbs, when the previous owner installed a Hypercharger and aftermarket exhaust.

General Comments:

Smooth handling and plenty of low end torque.

Stock saddlebags on the Silverado are nice looking, but not nearly as nice functionally. The opening doesn't allow for much to enter the bag. I switched to Hard bags for travelling.

Could have used a 6th gear.

Installed an oil filter relocation kit, and can't understand why Yamaha never made this change on their own.

It has great looks with a very comfortable riding position.

I love the rider's saddle, but the passenger seat is very uncomfortable, and had to have it reshaped and re-padded to make it so my wife could spend a few hours at a time on it.

I love the fact they kept this bike old school. Carbureted and air cooled. If you understand carburetors, you know there is very little that can go wrong with them.

Review Date: 8th July, 2012

Most recent year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired4000 kilometres
Most recent distance26000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleYamaha XJ650 Maxim

No problems yet, just regular maintenance.

General Comments:

Put in a new battery, new tires, brake pads.

Had a 4200 kms trip this summer with no problems, just wish I had gotten the Roadstar. A lot more power & comfort for 2 up riding.

As for solo riding, no problems, it's a lot different bike than my old 1981 Midnight Maxim.

Review Date: 18th October, 2010