Yamaha YZF600R Reviews

Year of manufacture1998
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous motorcycleHonda VTX1300

Summary:

Wrecked within a week

Throttle locked up.

Clutch came loose.

General Comments:

Somebody will probably delete this post, but here goes my take on this bike.

I bought this bike, and drove it to the nearest dealer in Tennessee and had it checked out; was told everything was fine, so me and a buddy drove home on our bikes, had no problems with it, but I never touched the power band.

The next week, right after getting the tag and insurance all squared away, I decided to drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I let it warm up and then took off less than half a mile from my house; I decided to see what the powerband was all about. Mind you on a straight and level road with almost no traffic. I hit it, and had the ride of my life until I let off and the throttle stuck. Tried pulling on the clutch, and wouldn't you know it, it had come loose or something like that. I ended up half a mile later underneath the bike in amongst some rocks, so take whatever you want out of this, but I'm gonna say that these are poorly put together bikes. Granted, I may have come across one that was dogged I don't know. What I do know is I will be sticking with Honda from here on out.

Review Date: 26th August, 2011

11th Feb 2013, 22:00

I learned how to ride on a 96 Troy Lee edition of that bike, bought in 2/2010 with 9800 miles, and it was awesome. However I don't have anything to compare it to. I had to sell it at 15k in 6/2012, but I will never forget it.

2001 Yamaha YZF600R from United States of America

Model year2001
Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2002
Most recent year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired2000 miles
Most recent distance22000 miles

Summary:

Absolutely great all round bike

I had to replace the chain and rear brake pads at 17000 miles.

General Comments:

I have rode and owned many bikes over the years, from cruisers to the brand new Kawi ZX10.

This bike is very comparable to the Honda CBR600F4.

I rode an R6 before I bought this bike, and I was surprised to find that the YZF600 has quite a bit more torque in the mid range. I was told this is due to different cams. This extra mid range really makes this one of the best 600cc bikes for having a passenger. It does however make it hard to maintain the speed limit on the highway, because it's geared to be at 5500 to 6500 rpm range at highway speeds, and that's the area where the torque really starts to kick in.

Very comfortable bike. Riding position is variable from that of a sport bike to an upright standard, which gives you plenty of room to get comfortable. Riding 300-400 miles a day is a breeze, especially on the back roads.

I have a D&D slip on exhaust that makes it sound like an F1 car. Brakes are very good, but swapping the brake pads to performance HH or H4 pads makes the baking excellent. Needs a brighter headlight for driving on curves at night, I found one for $13. Throttlemiester throttle lock is a must for highway driving if you want to keep the police off your back.

Review Date: 11th September, 2010

1998 Yamaha YZF600R from United Kingdom

Model year1998
Year of manufacture1998
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired19000 miles
Previous motorcycleTriumph Trophy 1200

Summary:

Seriously underrated bike

Nothing yet really, bulb behind rev counter blown.

Showing signs of light rust under swinging arm (common problem).

General Comments:

Good quick bike for a 600, even when two-up.

Could really do with a more supportive seat; I get a numb bum after about 150 miles, but apart from that, it's a great all round bike.

Fuel economy is A1; I commute to work, a round trip of 20 miles daily, and it does it on £5. If you ride it hard, it's still good.

Review Date: 13th June, 2010

Most recent year of ownership2004
Distance when acquired25000 kilometres
Most recent distance35000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleYamaha Jog50

Summary:

This bike ticks all the right boxes, a superb package

Chain blew at around 32000km, but it was mainly my fault because it already needed replacement and wasn't properly lubed.

Oil leak from the valve cover, no harm done. Replaced header (not sure that is the word, but I mean the rubber that seals the engine). Fine now.

Low beam bulb has gone three times now, and I've quit replacing it as I always drive with mediums on.

One of the bulbs illuminating the tachometer went out and I had it replaced (cheap), and now the one covering the temperature meter has gone also.

General Comments:

This bike was Yamaha's flagship supersport 8 years ago and so it's still very fast by modern standards. I've managed 250kph (155mph) and the acceleration from 9000rpm to the redline at 13000rpm is just brutal!

It is ideal if you are looking for a (very) fast sportsbike, but aren't willing to have butt-ache after 50km. The riding position is sporty, but surprisingly comfy thanks to the nice seat and to the moderately sized fairing, which does a great job of deflecting air (riding straight up at speeds of up to 180kph is a doddle), and for a sportsbike your passengers will have no room for complaining.

The engine is fabulous, pulling clean from 4000rpm and vigorously after 7k, until its final stride between 10k and 13k. It is smooth and with an aftermarket can it is a true joy for the ears, but as it is still carbureted you do need to let her warm up while you get yourself geared up.

Fuel economy and mileage is also great. The tank holds 19 liters and the bike averages 6 liters per 100km (there are reports of bikes doing 400km on a single tank, not me though cause I can't help keeping it near the red :D)

The brakes are simply awesome, offering a combination of power and sensitivity. Still an example for many to follow, although you have to heat them up properly if you want the goods (one or two strong pulls of the lever does it).

Handling wise, at about 195kg it is quite a bit heavier than modern supersports, but the added weight is a bonus on motorways, the bike being supremely stable at high speed and still being utterly capable of rocketing through the twisties. The suspension is fully adjustable and the standard settings offer a blend of comfort and performance you won't find anywhere else, and if you're not pleased with them: change them.

Great bike if you're starting on sportsbikes, or just want a great all-rounder that can carve the back roads up there with the best, and still be able to tour in comfort.

What about commuting? Been doing it every day since I bought it (I don't have a car) and it's easy peasy.

Get a used one for 3500 Euros/2400 Pounds, add a performance pipe and a K&N filter, Metzeler Sportec M1's and you're in heaven.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2004

4th Dec 2004, 18:53

Not to be xenophobic. One cannot go wrong with any late model Japanese sportbikes. Due to intense competition between the big four (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha) the riding public reaps immense rewards in technology and overall quality.

17th Sep 2008, 08:52

I have to agree with the first post (comment). I have the YZF600R and it's EXACTLY as he/she described.

Fabulous design from top to bottom. True, it is not the fastest bike on wheels these days, but I picked mine up in NEW condition for just under 3K several years ago, and it has been truly amazing. It is every bit as quick in acceleration as Corvettes, and will outperform most in a quarter mile, even 12 years after production!!!

Recently, I took it on the track in Miami Florida, and it is capable of staying right there with the brand new bikes. I can only lament that I didn't have this bike new back when it was manufactured, as that must have been the pinnacle of motoring pleasure.

Yamaha surpassed the market with this bike, and they need to revamp to have similar results with their latest bikes by comparison, but the older YZF600R's are THE perfect blend of performance and comfort in a Sport / Sport Touring bike for anyone with a limited budget, or just wanting to have a blast.

They also made a 1000cc called the ThunderAce, that is the big brother to this bike, and it is HIGHLY sought after for its comfort and performance blend, but it's not quite as nimble as the 600, but it is faster.

Unless you are a professional racer, NOTHING beats this bike for daily commuting, highway comfort, overall performance and low cost. Nothing. It's THAT good.