2003 BMW R 1200 CL from Canada

General Comments:

This is my first touring bike. I ride mostly by myself and enjoy every minute. I am 62 and it took me over one summer to get used to the weight and handling of the bike. I had not ridden in over 40 years and my last bike was a Canam 175.

This BMW, once you get used to it, you become totally comfortable, and attach to the bike. I meet all kinds of motorcycle in the Rocky Mountains and I would not trade this bike for any of them. This machine is a classic, it's got it own style and is easy to control. Once you're on the go, you rarely have to shift to a lower gear even in the Rocky hills. I can lead or follow any bike out there running at a reasonable speed. My trip are usually between 600 to 1000km per day with only a few stops for gas; it does over 300km per tank.

Maintenance for me is an air filter, an oil filter and an oil change once in a while. Never had a breakdown; the engineering of this bike is just awesome. Just turn the key, push the starter button and go.

If you find one, buy it, you will not regret it. I would buy another BMW today.

Review Date: 15th April, 2016

2003 BMW R 1200 CL from United States of America

You will not be disappointed if you give this bike a chance

General Comments:

I bought this motorcycle from a friend of mine in North Carolina. Formerly had a BMW 1150 RT and wanted something better for cruising with my wife. I read a lot of reviews - most of which were very negative. Ugly... little acceleration... low on power... blah, blah. It was only at my friend's strong recommendation that I decided to travel from Indiana to NC to get the bike and ride home. I am so, so glad I ignored the reviews. This bike is fantastic for both me and my wife. It is not the fastest bike out of the hole - but does it need to be? Plenty of power and never a problem.

Also - absolutely the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. The unique fairing/windshield provides unbelievable wind protection. Have ridden in the rain on a few occasions and only the bottom of my legs see rain - face shields stay nearly dry. The seat is as comfortable anything I have ridden. Rode from NC to IN in a day and half and could have kept riding. Handling is great. It is a heavy bike and you duck walk if you need to move it around with your feet - but very well balanced, so if you are careful - no issues.

Don't listen to the reviews. Ride one and realize there are no other touring bikes that give you the value for the money of this.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2015

29th Jul 2015, 01:11

I have to agree 100% with this review. I bought a 2004 R1200CL last year with only 5600 miles on it. I'm a lifelong motorcyclist (riding 40 years) and have owned many bikes through the years including Gold Wing, Electra Glide, Valkyrie and BMW R1100RT.

I love this R1200CL! It's easy to ride and handle (compared to a Valkyrie especially) and I use it as my daily commuter ride to work. I've toured on it, and found that even after several days in the saddle, the bike is still comfortable. It's made to cruise all day at 80 mph without breaking a sweat, while keeping the rider dry and comfortable.

Maintenance is easy (valve adjustments take 30 minutes), oil changes, etc. as I maintain my own bikes.

If you can can find one, buy it... they are rare, and if well maintained, will go 250-300k miles with no engine tear downs.