2003 BMW R 1200 CL from Canada

Summary:

Awesome

Blown fuse for the running lights.

General Comments:

I've been riding a bike with a sidecar for over 28 years. Needed to get a little used to a 2 wheeler, but I just love the ride.

Well balanced and very comfortable. It's not a loud bike, but it has the power to ride the speed limit in any terrain with any bike out there.

It was a good fit for me and it made me fall in love with riding again. I may be 52, but it puts a smile on my face and makes me feel 22 every time I go out on the road (freedom).

Be safe all - see you on the road EH...

Review Date: 23rd August, 2020

7th Dec 2020, 18:47

I'm glad to see a positive review. I just bought one with 22000 miles. It's my first cruiser, and I bought it simply because it's comfortable and fit my budget.

"Underpowered" seems to be the common theme of all reviews. While it's not a racing machine, there's adequate power for my riding style.

I hope to be able to keep in touch with other R1200 "Cruise Liner" riders.

Cruise on!

Shawn

2003 BMW R 1200 CL from United States of America

Summary:

Hidden treasure

General Comments:

I bought this bike after the first ride. I have an R100 as well with a lot of miles. Each time I ride, I'm so glad I bought it. I like twisties and this bike will do them and make you smile. I ride with friends with RTs, LTs and the like; I lead the way a lot. 70,000 miles and she rides like day one. It has enough speed to gain performance awards (tickets), which I have received in several states. Long distance is the best. Never felt the ride was too long. 1,000 mile days.

Review Date: 17th February, 2018

2003 BMW R 1200 CL from United Kingdom

Summary:

Poor man's Electraglide

Nothing.

General Comments:

Very nice underrated touring bus.

Low power does not detract from the experience provided you are not in a hurry.

Copes with the weight of luggage and pillion admirably.

Good torque.

Servo assisted brakes can be a bit grabby at low speed, especially when operated from the rear (linked brakes).

Handling raises a few eyebrows from riders on sportier bikes.

Panniers don't hold a lot, but more space can be liberated from the R/H box by taking out the CD player.

Looks polarize opinion.

Other motorcyclists think it's ugly, whereas non bikers think it's a thing of beauty.

I think from the front it looks like a Sentinel from the Matrix film.

Not the sort of bike I ever thought I would enjoy riding.

I bought it mainly so my Wife could have a bit of comfort, but I'm finding it hugely enjoyable.

Definitely can recommend.

Review Date: 26th September, 2017

2003 BMW R 1200 CL from Canada

General Comments:

This is my first touring bike. I ride mostly by myself and enjoy every minute. I am 62 and it took me over one summer to get used to the weight and handling of the bike. I had not ridden in over 40 years and my last bike was a Canam 175.

This BMW, once you get used to it, you become totally comfortable, and attach to the bike. I meet all kinds of motorcycle in the Rocky Mountains and I would not trade this bike for any of them. This machine is a classic, it's got it own style and is easy to control. Once you're on the go, you rarely have to shift to a lower gear even in the Rocky hills. I can lead or follow any bike out there running at a reasonable speed. My trip are usually between 600 to 1000km per day with only a few stops for gas; it does over 300km per tank.

Maintenance for me is an air filter, an oil filter and an oil change once in a while. Never had a breakdown; the engineering of this bike is just awesome. Just turn the key, push the starter button and go.

If you find one, buy it, you will not regret it. I would buy another BMW today.

Review Date: 15th April, 2016

28th Feb 2017, 12:47

I agree that it's a comfortable ride. Somewhat under powered, which is a good thing considering the amount of torque steer caused by the boxer engine. It will push you into a right corner and out of a left. I had my 1200CL for a year, put 22000 km on it, sold it and bought a Yamaha Royal Star. It was quite an upgrade. In closing it is a comfortable bike with good features, but handles like a bumper car.