1997 Honda CB250 Nighthawk from United Kingdom

Summary:

Brilliant. 350 (UK) miles to the tank before switching to the reserve

Nothing!!

I changed the forks as the seals were leaking when I got the bike. I put rubber gators on to help protect the fork seals.

I upgraded the side light to an LED bulb, and also put some CREE LED lights on under the headlight for day time riding.

I changed the standard bulb for an H4 halogen

General Comments:

Hi there,

I have a Honda CB250 Super dream 1997, which I purchased October 2012 as a winter hack. It had 27000 miles on the clock.

My BMW K750S is a great bike, but getting a bit expensive & heavy for the commute, especially in snow/ice. This gets used maybe 1x for my commute week if the weather's good (a condition of my insurance).

The little Honda is an absolute cracker. It's like a motorised push bike! Great for use in the winter in the snow/rain/ice (I didn't see many big bikes used during that time!!)

Good points:-

1) Cheap to insure & tax.

2) Approx 110-130 MPG for my commute of 13 miles each way to London & back from my London suburb.(keeping the chain lubed aids this); I easily get 350+ miles before the reserve tank needs to be used.

3) Parts are inexpensive & readily available from non Honda outlets

4) Light (approx 130 Kg) and easy to maneuver in the rush hour & around pot holes.

5) No expensive oil/filters required... simple gauze that can be cleaned and replaced.

6) Doesn't use any oil.

7) Fun to ride & can park it (locked) almost anywhere without fear of theft.

8) Easy to maintain by novice rider. Can find plenty of maintenance tips on YouTube.

9) Air cooled.

Bad points:-

1) Chain to clean/lube (guess I am used to the shaft drive of my K75s).

2) Feels a little under powered for my 95 Kg body :)... or maybe it's my bike?. Many small scooters zoom away from me at the traffic lights!!

3) On the motorway, you can feel large vehicles overtake. Max speed is approx 70mph... but it's not a great idea to do this type of speed.

4) No windshield on my bike (yet) as standard.

5) No cig lighter socket for GPS/ heated grips.

6) TOO quiet!!... cars/pedestrians can't hear you coming!!

If you want a solid reliable bike to commute on or just get around, I would highly recommend the CB250 (try and get one with a top box... SO useful).

I might consider a scooter as an alternative, but that's only because I don't like to lube the chain (assuming that it gives me the same MPG).

I am thinking of upgrading all the remaining bulbs to LED when I get around to it.

I hope that this helps.

Safe riding.

Regards, Ben.

Review Date: 1st February, 2015

1997 Honda CB250 Nighthawk from Australia

Summary:

Nice little bike, I miss it and the times we had together

Nothing went wrong with this bike.

General Comments:

I really liked this bike, you could chuck it about go off-road or on nicely. It had good fuel economy, although not so good compared to modern bikes, maybe 280-300km a tank (tank is 16 ltrs if I remember). People complain about the power, but I thought it was just right, considering the simple and bulletproof design of the engine, its 20bhp pulling its 125kg body was just about right. Not too powerful that a learner would lose control easily, and not too gutless that it wouldn't own city cruising. It is after all, a city bike.

I took this bike out of the city on a few occasions, once on a 600km journey up and back around 900km (I got lost going up). Overall, my back wasn't worse for wear, and I enjoyed the ride very much. I also took it into the hills quite often, and always enjoyed myself. You could wring its little neck for the power you wanted, and it would always be ready for more punishment.

I will however, say that the front suspension seemed a bit soft for tight and fast corners, but you just need to understand its limitations. The technology, after all, is very simple and sturdy, and softer is better most of the time anyway.

I miss my CB250; a nice little package.

Review Date: 26th October, 2010