Honda CB450SC Nighthawk Reviews

First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2013
Distance when acquired18750 kilometres
Most recent distance19300 kilometres

Summary:

Great commuter bike, excellent reliability, good gas mileage

Changed the oil recently, and it started to leak from the filter housing.

General Comments:

I would highly recommend this motorcycle to anybody. I started out on a 1982 Honda 450 CM Custom way back in the day. The Nighthawk was bought for the wife to get back into riding a motorcycle. This thing handles great around town, and I find myself driving it more than the three other bikes I have in the garage.

Great bike for zipping around town on, and it has some get up and go for a 450. Granted it's not going to win me any pink slips at the track, but it certainly has no issues on the highway or side streets.

Easy to maintain and very reliable thus far. I bought the bike recently; changed the oil, checked the plugs, and that has been it. Starts with just a quick hit of the starter switch. Needs about 3-5 minutes to get to operating temps and you're off.

I will keep this bike for a long time; will pass this on to the kids when they get old enough to drive.

Excellent product by Honda.

Review Date: 5th June, 2013

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk from Canada

Model year1982
Year of manufacture1982
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired32000 kilometres
Most recent distance34000 kilometres

Summary:

Absolutely love it, many people have offered to buy, I will never sell

Basic maintenance items needed; the bike sat outside for 8 years when I got it:

Cables.

Tires.

Battery.

Spark plugs.

Fork seals.

Fuel tank was rusted (hard to find a new one).

General Comments:

A very comfortable bike to ride; has a lot more power than I was expecting. On my first ride I popped the clutch and lifted the front wheel about a foot off the ground!

I painted the bike black with red stripe, and polished the chrome, and I get a lot of looks on this bike.

I wouldn't take this bike on a cross Canada tour, but for the city/first bike, it is freaking awesome!!

Extremely reliable, always starts, and once I got all the leaks under control, it has been a true Honda.

I really like the simplicity of the bike and the cheesy 80's corn star wheels.

Well I am not a veteran rider, but I think it handles quite well; I don't feel afraid to throw it into a corner at higher speeds.

It takes pot holes/bumps quite well, without knocking you off the bike.

I have ridden with a friend who has a 85 hp Yamaha, and I keep up quite well with him on the highway with my 45 hp. I think it is because of gearing/lightness of the bike.

6 speed transmission is really nice, I like cruising on the highway in 6th, you are not toying with the throttle all the time.

Review Date: 31st May, 2012

1985 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk from United States of America

Model year1985
Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2009

Summary:

Solid, nice-looking bike that sets you back less than a year's car insurance premium

Air cleaner needed replacement.

Spark plugs needed replacement.

Blown fuse.

Dead battery.

Choke cable froze.

Throttle cables snapped.

Small split in seat seam that appears to be slowly growing.

General Comments:

Overall, I couldn't have found a better first bike. As others have noted, I'm now jonesing for something with a little more roar (in the 750-1000cc range), but this little bike is just so damn... Honda. It starts up, it runs, and it works. I'm 160 lbs, and an 800 mile trip (mostly at around 62mph) netted just over 50 MPG. Bump that average speed up to 70, however, and you're down to about 38 MPG.

I've heard the 450SC described as "The Commuter's Dream Bike," and I think that's not a bad title. This bike is not designed to be a long-distance tourer (though, as I said, it survived an 800 mile trip with no problems). It's not designed to win races or blow out windows (although it certainly has enough pep to keep up with traffic on the highway or in town). It's not going to get you much respect from the middle-age wannabe "Bikers" at the local Harley bar. It's just a reliable, economical machine that works.

Obviously, with a bike this old, things will wear out, and you need to be perhaps a little more vigilant than someone with a newer bike - but you're also not paying "new bike" insurance premiums.

Review Date: 1st July, 2009

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk from United States of America

Model year1982
Year of manufacture1982
First year of ownership2005
Most recent year of ownership2007

It was stored when I purchased it. I had the fork seals done and ultimately replaced the 24 year old original Dunlop tires. I had the carb cleaned and sinked and the brake fluid changed. Basically, a general check out and service. Everything works on the bike and nothing has broken. I rode it approx 5k miles last summer.

General Comments:

This is one sweet running bike. I have taken a few 3 hundred mile trips and the gas mileage was exceptional - in excess of 60 miles per gallon running about 55 mph for the tank without stopping - 6th gear overdrive - flat road.

The 450 has plenty of pep (I am 220 pounds) and cruising speeds of 65 mph in overdrive keep the tac under 50% of red line, so not a stress on the bike.

This season I plan to replace the chain, change the oil and enjoy another 5000 miles. I would recommend this old Honda. I get a lot of other bikers looking at this 25 year old Honda - it has a nice styling that keeps it contemporary.

Review Date: 7th March, 2007