1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk from United States of America

Summary:

One of my most favorite bikes to ride!

Nothing serious has gone wrong with this motorcycle.

The usual wear & tear items have been replaced, such as the battery, lights, tires, brakes and such.

The seat did split at the seams and the carbs were rebuilt at about 15 years old.

The chrome has held up well, as well as all of the aluminium parts.

General Comments:

This bike has been extremely reliable and easy to maintain.

Being of average height and weight, I found it maneuverable at low speeds.

Its seating position is comfortable and upright. Not tank hugging like a sportbike, not stretched out like a cruiser.

It is very quick & nimble. Well balanced, easy to toss thru the corners.

It handled 2 up riding with ease, with the 6 speed gearbox and a nice 2nd torque curve above 4500 RPM.

Review Date: 10th November, 2014

1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk from United States of America

Summary:

Stellar motorcycle for any rider, even super seasoned like me

Nothing has gone wrong. Normal pads, tires.

General Comments:

I have owned about 75 motorcycles.

This bike is in my top 10. It always starts in a second. I park it next to my 2001 Triumph that cost 6 times as much and starts in 11 seconds average.

This Nighthawk has a center stand, gear indicator, 6 speed with shaft drive. I get 49 miles per gallon.

Sounds like a sports car.

I replaced the stock cruiser like silly handlebars with motocross bars to make the bike sit more like a standard. This bike is a keeper.

Review Date: 4th November, 2012

15th Jul 2014, 20:04

Hope you still monitor this site. I also have a 650 Nighthawk, and I think the stock handle bars are too low and narrow. The problem I'm having is no one around me stocks bars like the old days, so you can take them out to your bike to see how you like them. 28 inches for me is too narrow; I'd like 30 inches and maybe 2 more inches of rise.

Do you have the specs of your bars?

tractor0051@yahoo.com

Thank you.

1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk from United States of America

Summary:

Low maintenance, reliable, and fun to ride

The starter relay burnt out because of my own ignorance.

The lights for the speedometer burnt out and needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

This bike has been all that it was advertised to be. It is an ideal first bike or return to motorcycling bike. The seating position is very comfortable, but the seat itself does get a little uncomfortable after about 45 minutes - 1 hour. The brakes work, but are not the strongest brakes around.

It has decent power, but is very easy to control as the torque and horsepower delivery is pretty smooth. You can ride 2-up on this motorcycle, but it will require some downshifting when trying to pass or go up an extended hill.

The aftermarket for this bike is understandably small, but you can still find things if you look or are willing to do some work.

The starter relay burnt out, because I didn't give it some time to stop spinning between attempts.

You can still get most parts for this model year from multiple vendors, including Honda.

It does have what I deem to be a design flaw in that the charging system is anemic. It doesn't start to charge the battery until you reach ~2500 RPM. The easiest thing to do is just keep it on a battery tender when not riding, to ensure the battery is fully charged.

Review Date: 11th June, 2012

1984 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk from United States of America

Summary:

Classic Greatness

Nothing has gone wrong with this bike. I have cruised it around Colorado and even up to Sturgis, SD with my girlfriend. This machine as been pampered and I can tell. She runs with the 750 with no problems and is smooth and nimble. I also can get almost 50 mpg!

General Comments:

A tech wonder is 83, this machine still is nice. She is powerful and smooth and needs little. The 700 Hondas of this time actually used a modified version of this engine. I hope to keep this classic bike until she becomes a collectors item. Hopefully I can stay safe.

Review Date: 21st July, 2009