Honda CB900F Hornet Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance37000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleKawasaki ZX-14

Summary:

The 919 Hornet is the best value blast you can have on a bike without spending a fortune

Nothing has gone wrong.

Just had regular services when required.

General Comments:

This 919 Hornet is the best all round bike I've ever owned.

Fantastic low down grunt, all the way to the red line. No surprises anywhere; just twist the gas and go in almost any gear.

I find the seat a bit hard after extended rides of 3 hours or more, but doesn't seem to get any worse.

The handle bars were the first mod, as they were too narrow and swept back at too much of an angle for me, and made my wrists sore after a while. Now they are perfect and have a much flatter profile, which means my wrists aren't bent inwards at all now, plus the riding position is a little more leaning forward, which instills great confidence in the front end compared to before.

Handling is great in the corners, and I regularly scrape pegs very easily. I think a lot of it has to do with tire choice, and I run Pirelli Rosso Diablos, and they are just perfect for my style of riding, and have never ever given me a moment on the road. Also the Pilot Roads 2 give good service, but just don't inspire the same confidence as the Pirellis do.

A lot of people on forums etc say the shocks are not up to par for hard riding in the corners... what rubbish... they're not perfect, but believe me, they do a stellar job, and I can hang with the fastest of sportbike riders on the road... It's a little different on a track, but I'm not far behind the fast guys at the trackdays on the ZX10's etc, which kinda annoys them LOL.

Saying the bike needs better springs etc, is just an excuse for a lack of riding skills. Truth is, I have fairly embarrassed so called fast guys on the twisties, and even passed them on the inside on this little Hornet, and when we stop for a rest and chat, they always have some kind of excuse as to why I was able to pass them... I've heard it all; from I have better tires than them, to I wasn't really trying that hard, when the fact is they were trying, as I can see it in there riding style.

The biggest key to going quick on a Hornet is being super smooth, as it is on any bike.

The 919 Hornet is a great all rounder, that can do track days with the best of em (amateurs that is), go scratching the pegs on the weekends, and get you to work during the week, and in the holidays take you on a tour in reasonable comfort. Very few bike I've ever had can claim to do all this. And coupled with this bike's super reliable engine and low maintenance, you have a winner.

The only thing I'd like to recommend, is that if you're doing lots of long trips, to maybe think about a flyscreen to keep the wind blast off your chest, as it can get very tiring at higher speeds on long trips... Other than that, this bike is an absolute blast to ride, and I don't ever plan on selling it, just because it's so much fun.

Review Date: 16th August, 2010

2008 Honda CB900F Hornet from Australia

Year of manufacture2008
First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2008
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance137 kilometres
Previous motorcycleYamaha YZF600R

Summary:

Fine bike for the riding position

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

I picked up the new CB900 Hornet, and with a friend, went round some bits near Newcastle and back again. We did 137k of traffic, highway, twisties and suburbs.

I found the Honda to be a flattering bike to ride with very good (almost scary) turn in and balance, and the brakes are near perfect for town and the twisty bits as well.

I'm no demon rider, and have never been round a track, but don't mind a corner either.

It made me feel like I could corner that bit harder if I wanted to. It was a very narrow feel to the knees, more like a smaller bike; it's even quiet like one. But just one poke......

Having said that, I have just jumped off a

1995 YZF600Rg, which in February did good duty down round Tasmania touring trouble free, solo. I found the riding position to be a bit awkward after an hour or three of highway.

The CB is definitely the sweetest all round thing

I have ridden to date for traffic, highway (naked), suburbs, twisties, and wish I had bought one before.

Review Date: 15th September, 2008

7th Dec 2008, 18:29

Agreed. It's the perfect city/cruising bike and makes a damn fine tourer, despite zero storage and fairings, who cares? I did 400k in one afternoon and after a short rest wanted to keep riding through the night (but resisted temptation).

9th Dec 2008, 15:38

I am looking at buying one of these bikes (used, 2007, 4k miles, 5999.00 USD, North Carolina) - looks exactly like what I am wanting. Stepping up from a 2008 Ninja 250R that I bought for my wife (and she decided she did not want to ride after all) - I have been stuck riding the little 250 since March 2008 - I weigh 255 Lbs. - NOT COOL.

Any quirks to be concerned with these bikes? Faulty wiring, weak transmission, etc...?

The bikes are great looking and they feel very well balanced.