2000 Honda CBR900RR Fireblade from United States of America

Summary:

No fear of GSXRs here..

Front left shock has seal leaking - ends up with a fine oil film on the lower fairing.

General Comments:

This bike is fairly stock except for an Erion slip-on, K&N filter, and little larger back sprocket than stock.

Pulls strong from about 4k. It's no slouch below 4k though. Other rider revs their bike to wheelie up. Not necessary here. 1st 3 gears with no clutch popping gets it done very time.

Hitting that 150mph mark is no problem. Even with the gearing I can get 65mph in 1st gear.

And on the 3.5 gallon (or so) tank I can get 160 miles pretty consistently.

Bike is stable, doesn't shake its head coming out of corners. In fact - the faster you go the more compliant it is with your input.

A ride from Sacramento to Yosemite can have you in tears though - while the seat feels OK for short hops - maybe 50 miles, longer than that - say 4 hours will have you winching at every little bump.

Not a lot of heat pours off engine - but it does naturally, as per Honda and forums, run high on temperature. Fan comes on at about 220 degrees. But, it doesn't bog - doesn't feel sluggish. It just runs a little hotter than you might expect. Keep good oil in it and it's not a problem.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2008

2000 Honda CBR900RR Fireblade from United Kingdom

Summary:

The best-handling and most responsive bike I've ever had, plus Honda build quality

The alternator (generator) burnt out (twice) at 35,000 and 56,000 miles: Had it rewired.

General Comments:

The handling/steering is ultra-quick; as a result it can shake the bars under acceleration on a bumpy surface, but experienced riders do not need a steering damper (the bike is telling you to lighten off the throttle, just a bit).

The braking is powerful, but progressive and with good feel.

Although not as powerful as its competitors, or more modern large sports bikes, the power is good all through the rev range and, because it is so manageable, can be used more effectively to make up any shortfall. The on/off throttle response is not the problem that journalists make it out to be; a few hours riding is enough to tune yourself into it: after that the instant response is a plus.

For a large sports bike the comfort is very good, it can be ridden all-day (over 500 miles), then the next day! The riding position is more upright and comfortable than its competitors.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2008

1994 Honda CBR900RR Fireblade from United Kingdom

Summary:

Goes like a Rocket

Rear shock.

Head bearings.

Wheel bearings F/R.

Rear spindle came loose and wore the swing arm,

General Comments:

This is my second 94 blade. I think this is an awesome bike for its age. Granted, a lot has had to be sorted, but given the mileage it's fantastic. I do quite a lot of mile's on my bikes, as I just love to ride, and have done since I was 5 years old.

I have had a 99, R1 02, R1 04, R1 03, 600rr 98, and a Firestorm, and the blade always gives me a better buzz than any of them. I have even turned this bike into a street-fighter, and it's even better.

I've added an Ohlins rear shock, progressive, front springs, stage 1 dynojet and it's FANTASTIC.

One of, if not the best bike you could own for less than £2,000.

Review Date: 1st May, 2007

2003 Honda CBR900RR Fireblade from Australia

Summary:

FIREBLADE, Burn up the streets and cut out the corners

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

I can imagine what this bike can do, but I don't think I ever need to find out.

Very quick, excellent handling, awesome to ride.

Due to the excellent handling and braking of this bike, it gives you great confidence to ride.

Smooth power allows you to open the throttle without the bike wanting to lift at the front. However, when the bikes hits 6000rpm, hang on.

Powering out of corners with the revs up may also give you an unexpected surprise as the power comes on very quick.

In a nutshell, this is a great toy to own, a real head turner. Has the sound of a Formula 1 race car under the helmet.

Would not recommend for an inexperienced rider, best to spend a year or two on a mid sized sport before moving up to the real thing.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2006

4th Oct 2006, 09:58

You are right, I passed my test and got on a Blade only to come off at 75MPH on my first ride. Luckily I rolled and landed on a grass verge off the A1. It was rush hour and plenty of people were honking their horns at me as they drove by. My girlfriend was not so lucky, both legs broken. Superb days.