2nd May 2015, 10:36

I have to respectfully disagree. Perhaps it's due to different human body styles, strengths and shapes, but I have never found it to be unbalanced at any speed or slowing to a stop. I have owned bikes that exhibit this trait, older Gold wings come to mind. Gangly is what I refer to them as.

20th Jun 2015, 10:45

Kawasaki Concours comes to mind.

I had one of those, and this bike is so much better balanced. In fact it is one of the better balanced of the 20+ bikes I've owned, and the best tourer.

I do suppose if you're just starting out it possibly could be a bit gangly, but then you shouldn't start your riding on a 650lb bike now should you?

13th Jul 2015, 14:55

Buying a large bike for a first bike is not a problem like many think it is. My very first bike was a new 1987 Goldwing Aspencade. At the time, I was interested in one of two bikes, an 1100 Shadow or the Yamaha VMax. I was on the way to the dealership to buy the VMax and saw the only one I've ever seen on the road, getting a ticket. I was instantly worried that was me losing my license OR me wrapped around the telephone pole next to the bike.

I continued down the road to the Honda dealer, but fell in love with the two tone Wineberry Goldwing on the showroom floor. I bought it and had to use it for the riders course at the Air Force base I was stationed at. Everyone told me I needed to start small and work my way up to a bike that large. Crap, I would've been 50 before being able to buy a large bike with that mentality without buying and selling every year to make the transition. The instructors in the class all said the Goldwing was too large to ride through the course, but I made it without ever putting my feet down.

I've owned three bikes in my life - a new '87 Aspencade, a new '88 Aspencade and a used '95 Aspencade. I'm now looking for another old bike; it will either be another Goldwing (2000-2005) or a Pacific Coast. I like the PC because I don't need a Goldwing and they are far cheaper.

For those just starting out, a big bike is just fine as long as you're careful and don't start feeling you're better than you are. Remembering how much weight is beneath you is always good, as is dressing correctly. A safety course is an absolute must and should be repeated every 10-15 years, but don't feel you have to start off with a small bike first, that is a myth!