1986 Honda Shadow VLX from United States of America

Summary:

Great little city bike

Nothing.

General Comments:

Best bike I never owned.

Review Date: 10th May, 2010

1995 Honda Shadow VLX from United Kingdom

Summary:

Good reliable, economical all-round machine

Head gaskets weep slightly.

General Comments:

This bike, although not quick, is fast enough, certainly more than most cars.

Acceleration slows at about 80mph. Can do 100mph, but the wind blast is something else, probably due to the riding position rather than just being a 'naked' bike.

It's a very well made machine.

It is VERY economical. Worst consumption was 56 imp mpg, best was 84 imp mpg at steady 50-55mph.

Tyres last for ages, once the originals have gone.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2010

1999 Honda Shadow VLX from United States of America

Summary:

Great for a first bike, but you'll feel the small size once you're comfortable

So far nothing major has gone wrong.

Battery died during extended (2 years) storage, but that's to be expected.

I know the person who had it before me laid it down, so the pipes and mirrors were replaced. I also laid it down at low speeds and had no issues that needed professional attention.

General Comments:

The bike definitely has some pickup on it. If you get a good stretch of highway in front of you, you can definitely accelerate enough to push you down into the seat. That being said, the top speed leaves something to be desired. At 55-60 MPH, I feel like I'm already pushing the bike a bit. I'm constantly finding myself trying to shift up again when I'm already in 4th gear. A 5th gear for highway speeds would have been ideal.

I'm a pretty short guy at 5'8", and this bike is very comfortable. After a few hours I get get some butt numbness, but nothing too bad. The low seat feels nice and looks great. I have scraped the pegs a few times when I didn't expect to.

Bike handles great. Corners good and has pretty smooth acceleration. It was a great first bike for those that don't want to be seen.

Review Date: 4th August, 2009

7th Oct 2010, 22:27

Totally agree with review. I have a 2007 VLX. Gas mileage is consistently 56 - 62 mpg. Pick up is good, but not great. The only complaint is the lack of a 5th gear. I often shift into 5th (that doesn't exist). I often do 70+ mph and the bike responds great. Gas mileage still says above 55 mpg, which is awesome. An excellent first bike. Definitely recommend!

1988 Honda Shadow VLX from United States of America

Summary:

The three B's, Big, Black, Beautiful

Absolutely flawless.

General Comments:

I am 68 years old and have been riding since I was 17. This Honda Shadow 1100 has been the best overall machine I have had, and I have had many.

Review Date: 4th August, 2009

1993 Honda Shadow VLX from Russia

Summary:

Awesome city chopper!

I have to shut the choke off to finally adjust the mixture and prevent fast sparks-plugs failure.

The generator was burned at 10000km, but I think this was my fault - I left wires naked while it was raining.

Gear-shifting little bit sticky.

General Comments:

I think the Shadow/Steed 600 is a perfect city-chopper.

Ideal for office and weekend rides, penetrating the traffic-jams.

But sub-urban rides more than 200km is really tiring.

The motorcycle handling is awesome.

It's allowing the hard braking with blocked rear-wheel and hard drift. But after the braking pedal is released - the motorcycle becomes stable without back-hit.

Review Date: 1st August, 2008

2006 Honda Shadow VLX from United States of America

Summary:

I would buy another one

Burned out tail light.

Tripometer knob broke.

General Comments:

Always starts and runs without any problems.

The fastest I can get it to go is around 95 miles per hour.

The seat is not bad, but after a few hours riding, it can be a little uncomfortable.

It gets around 60 miles per gallon at 80 MPH on the freeway.

Really, the only complaint I have is the 4 speed transmission. Honda really should have given it a 5 speed tranny.

Review Date: 13th June, 2008

2003 Honda Shadow VLX from United States of America

Summary:

Great reliability and value, and it looks good too

Fork seals needed to be replaced. This was most likely due to the previous owner riding it a total of only 750 miles over 4 years.

General Comments:

This motorcycle is not the largest displacement mid size cruiser out there. This motorcycle isn't loaded with "cutting edge" technology. This bike has three things going for it: reliability, style, and it's affordable.

Because it's relatively uncomplicated, there's less to go wrong. The VLX has been around for many model years. Over time, the Honda engineers have worked out all the kinks. Do your pre ride inspection, turn the key, press the ignition button and you're ready to go.

The VLX also has an old school look to it. For me, it's what a motorcycle should look like. The Deluxe model has chrome everywhere. The bike just looks good.

The VLX is also very affordable. It's relatively inexpensive to maintain. It gets good fuel economy. It's cheap to insure. Owning this bike won't break the bank.

Review Date: 19th March, 2008

2006 Honda Shadow VLX from United States of America

Summary:

Awesome!

Nothing at this point.

General Comments:

Bike is great! I'm a female rider, and this bike is great if you're looking for a bike with power, that isn't too heavy to handle.

Although I've been riding for almost 16 years, this bike is great for beginning riders, as I taught my 16 year old to ride it.

The new models, VLX 600 look awesome with the chrome that has been added. I get asked all the time, "Is that a Harley?" Great bike, great price!

Review Date: 2nd October, 2006

24th Jul 2009, 16:45

I've heard the 4 speed gearbox sucks. Hopefully, Honda will update this bike with 5 speed gearbox, like Suzuki did with the Savage when it stopped making it for awhile and then brought it back.

25th Aug 2009, 08:39

For years now I have been reading about comments from Honda steed riders. I am green with envy, but no matter what I do, I cannot afford to buy one, much more register it here in the Philippines, a country of live alligators out to devour a registrant of a motorcycle bought from abroad! However, I will still keep on reading what you guys write. Keep on riding high...

27th Nov 2009, 21:10

This motorcycle is awesome!! The v-twin has so much power, and rumbles a sweet note too! Big fat tire in the rear, and pizza cutter up front, it's a true street rod.

Chrome header pipes. The ride is solid. There's no need for a Harley Sportster if you get this Shadow. Plus you'll save big bucks.

Overall, top of line engineering.

13th Mar 2014, 14:45

The EU counterpart Steed has a 5 speed gear box :) Great for long rides!