Honda VF500C Magna V30 Reviews

Model year1985
First year of ownership2001
Most recent year of ownership2012

Summary:

Best $1600 I ever spent

Replaced leaking front seals at 3500 in 2002, and at 56k in 2011. The first time was age, and the second time was due to use.

Carb cleaning had been done when I got the bike. Cleaned again at 53k. Also replaced OEM plugs; still in good shape.

Chains and sprockets about every 16k.

Replaced a bad cooling fan switch after getting the bike.

Front brakes leaking rebuilt at 4k in 02. New pads again at about 25k and 50k.

General Comments:

This is my first bike, and I have done 4 cross country trips solo with no problems. I am 6'1, 225, and have no problems with long days, but did install a sport shield to get the wind off my chest.

Mileage is 56 MPG at 55.

A small old bike that can stay with the big bikes to the point of being annoying.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2012

Model year1985
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous motorcycleYamaha 535 Cruiser

Summary:

Adrenaline joyride rocket, hold on for your life

When I first bought the bike, I noticed that the front forks were leaking fluid. I fixed the problem by replacing the seals in the forks, which were 12 dollars.

The shift shaft seal leaks oil, but not badly.

The front brakes were locked up, so I just sanded the pistons a little and cleaned up the inside of the caliper, and it is cherry now.

The seat is cracked in many places, and I am going to re-upholster it.

The carborators needed cleaning, and it was difficult with the V-4 design getting them back on the bike.

The accelerator cable broke, and was easily replaced.

The rear dampers need to be replaced.

General Comments:

This bike is the second bike I own; the other is my wife's cruiser. I love the Mad Max cruiser look, but it runs like a crotch rocket. When you get this bike past 4,000 rpms, it really throws you off the seat. My wife is scared of it and I am too, but that is the fun.

The brakes could use an upgrade, but overall this is in my opinion one of the easiest bikes to work on and own, considering the age and value ratio. 1985-$600.00 - fast, fun, reliable.

I would suggest this model bike to anyone; very easy to learn on and comfortable to ride.

Review Date: 21st March, 2011

First year of ownership2001
Most recent year of ownership2010

Summary:

Good bike, only wish it was shaft drive

Leaking front fork seals at 2000 miles, but the bike had been sitting 15 years.

Carburetter rebuild at 48000 miles

Three sets of sprockets and chains.

Two sets of front brake pads.

General Comments:

First bike at age 63, best stress release ever.

Have made four cross country trips; PA and Michigan to the West Coast LA and Victoria BC Canada, without problems, other than a battery.

Am 73" tall, and don't feel cramped. Would like front pegs though. But hey, I can always stand up and ride.

Street shield is a must.

Review Date: 19th December, 2010

1984 Honda VF500C Magna V30 from United States of America

Model year1984
Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleHonda CBR1000F

Summary:

This bike is extremely good value with a low purchase price and a low cost of operation

I bought the bike used for $100.00. It needed regular service items; chain, sprockets, battery and fork seals. Also needed the seat recovered.

General Comments:

I love this bike. It is much lighter than my previous bike. This allows it to be easily maneuvered.

The V4 engine runs very smoothly and economically (>45 MPG).

My only slightly negative comment regarding this bike would be the small gas tank (2.9 gallons) that does not have a reserve feature. The cruising range is about 110 miles on a tank. The bike does not have a fuel gauge, so I use the odometer and fill up every 100 miles.

But the bike is very comfortable.

Review Date: 29th June, 2010

18th Mar 2012, 18:38

My 1984 Honda Magna V30 (bought it new in 1985 as a college student, and still have it) came with a 3.7 gallon fuel capacity, and it has an "automatic" feature that I actually like quite a bit, rather than running the carbs dry and having to switch from 'on' to 'reserve', either while coasting down the road, or having to pull-over and do it "safely"...

Yes, the main tank has around a 2.8 gallon capacity, and the reserve tank under the seat is about 0.9 gallons. When the main tank is dry, the "reserve" kicks in 'automatically' and a big red "FUEL" light on the dash lights up... hard to miss if you're regularly scanning your instruments... If you do not see this light come on... make sure the bulb is not burnt out. When the "FUEL" light comes on (usually around 130 miles) I figure I have about 40 miles to find a station.

7th Jul 2013, 12:46

I have a 1984 Honda Magna 500. Should the reserve switch be in the on or the off position when the fuel tank is full?

After a long ride my bike died. My error, I was out of gas. I noticed that the reserve switch was set to "on" the whole time.

Now I am unable to get my bike to stay started, even with a full tank of gas.

Can you offer any help?

3rd Apr 2014, 15:41

Use a really good carb cleaner! Clean the carbs as they may have got trash in the jets.