2004 Honda VT750C Shadow Aero from Australia

Summary:

Top quality, comfortable and easy to ride

Nothing.

General Comments:

This bike is incredibly easy to ride. I have been off of motorcycles for 10 years and had never ridden a cruiser, so I was a little worried about the test drive, but this bike is comfortable and forgiving. It isn't learner approved in Australia, but it probably should be.

As people have mentioned, it's not a fast bike. You can feel the power deficiency quite keenly. For me that is a feature (licence protection), but for some it is likely to be a problem; if it is then the Honda VTX1800c might be a better option.

With a 33.5 inch inseam, the footrests are too close, my knees too high, resulting in a slightly unstable feel and a quickly sore back. To combat this I have a set of scootmod 6 inch forward extensions on their way.

The handlebars could do with being slightly higher, but the stock set have welded risers. My bike just happened to come with a spare bar, so I intend to modify it to accept aftermarket risers.

Another issue to be aware of is the location of the speedometer, which is on the tank. When wearing a full face helmet the speedo is hidden by the chin guard and requires a tilt of the head to see instead of just an eye movement.

Please note that the bike reviewed is fitted with aftermarket Vance and Hines pipes, sissy bar, leather saddlebags, 12V accessory port and USB charger, phone holder, and a windscreen.

Review Date: 29th October, 2016

2009 Honda VT750C Shadow Aero from Canada

Summary:

Wish I had one of these 10 years earlier.

Nothing.

General Comments:

After 2 decades of sport bikes, my old bones needed to switch to a cruiser layout. Was ready for low and slow, and this bike fit my needs perfectly. Was initially worried about fitting my 6'4" 250lb frame onto it, but added some extras to compensate. Added floor boards, and engine guard with extended highway pegs to allow me to stretch out my legs on longer trips. Added a carrier and hard trunk, and gel seat cover for the terrible stock saddle and now have a very inexpensive long-range cruiser. Have done 500km at a stretch (refuel needed at 250km), with no problems.

Mileage averages 61 MPG since purchased and this tends to be better in city driving. Can keep it in top gear at 60km/h and it just chugs away. Will run 100km/h all day in any conditions.

Mechanically amazing reliability - cheapest bike I've ever owned. Also the slowest, but I'm rarely in a hurry anyway, so I can live with the anemic but unbreakable powerplant. Have started in -5C mornings, and no problem when using the choke and it warms up in 2 minutes.

Review Date: 11th July, 2016

2006 Honda VT750C Shadow Aero from United States of America

Summary:

That silly grin is going to be hard to remove when riding this bike

10% ethanol does not agree with this bike over time. The petcock assembly basically rotted out from it. Not the manufacturer's fault. Dealer knew what to do from the get-go.

General Comments:

This is a great all purpose cruiser for local and highway speeds. You can even go long distances without a lot of discomfort. Saddlebags and trunk bags from US Saddlebag in Mass. and you are ready to go.

I recommend a GearBrake for the rear lights, because when you roll off the throttle, she bleeds speed incredibly fast.

I have gotten 80 MPG on long distances and a reliable 56-60 MPG locally. Just keep in mind that this is a 745cc bike and you are going to have to get your Harley buddies to slow their take off a bit to keep up. 65mph+ it gets a bit buzzy, making you wish that there was a 6th gear or tall 5th.

It is a well mannered, forgiving bike, especially for short guys or women getting their first bike, or guys like me, who are still happy with it after 9 years and 40k miles. The other nice thing is that a new one won't break your wallet, and neither will the maintenance costs.

I would get another one in a heart beat.

Review Date: 7th July, 2015