Honda XBR500 Reviews

Year of manufacture1988
First year of ownership2000
Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous motorcycleHonda CB400F

Summary:

Brilliant, reliable, excellent bike

The only thing that has ever went wrong with this bike, is when I first bought it and had to have the rear brake drum re-lined.

General Comments:

This is the best bike I have ever had. Would not and will not part with it. She goes where you want her too, and does everything you ask.

I prefer this to my Triumph Trophy and my Honda VTR1000.

If you want reliability, fun and good handling, this is the bike. Just remember the brakes are not up to modern day standards... however the engine braking compensates for this.

Review Date: 18th November, 2012

Most recent year of ownership2009
Distance when acquired69000 kilometres
Most recent distance69800 kilometres
Previous motorcycleKawasaki Zephyr 750

Summary:

Sweet ride to own

I need help. The bike was tipped over by a dork who can't park and has since not started. The first time when I started, it started fine with the choke on, and once I put down the choke, it completely died. And haven't been able to restart it since. Any thoughts on fixing it would be much appreciated as I would like to keep the bike.

General Comments:

Other than the mishap with the dork who tipped it and have caused the bike not running, the 4 months I did ride it was great! Although it was an old bike, it would start every time without a problem, and it was great on the road with virtually no issues with fuel efficiency.

I was doing 300km (?) per tank on about AUD$10... Now that's value for money. The motorcycle is good all round, but not ideal for long rides.

Review Date: 17th December, 2009

1985 Honda XBR500 from United Kingdom

Model year1985
Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2008
Distance when acquired32000 miles
Previous motorcycleBMW R65

Summary:

Buy one before the classic bike nuts discover just how good it is

Nothing.

General Comments:

After having to sell my Triumph Trident due to hip problems last year, I was looking for a fun light weight bike to use at weekends and trips to work.

I found this XBR in a small bike garage in Exmouth. I paid £650 for it with 12 month MOT. The bike was tidy but needed a good clean.

I can really recommend these bikes, as I don't think I've had so much fun on any bike I've ever owned, and I have had 15.

It can run rings around larger and newer bikes on A & B roads; just keep the revs up and your knee down.

Review Date: 11th November, 2008

23rd Dec 2009, 06:59

XBR a classic? Surely not one of those huckery looking things with the comstar wheels and odd styling.

Why even bother when there are GB 500's out there?

1987 Honda XBR500 from United Kingdom

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2008
Distance when acquired20000 miles
Most recent distance52000 miles
Previous motorcycleMZ ETZ 251 Saxon Tour

Summary:

This bike is the best!!!

None.

General Comments:

This is the best bike I have owned. Fantastic engine sound from the big single.

Some body bits are getting harder to find. Engine parts OK.

Bike handles well and is cheap to run. Would never part with it as I would probably miss the reliability and fun.

Rock on XBR500!!!

Review Date: 23rd October, 2008

9th Aug 2009, 16:03

I agree with reliability except for the front brake. Has yours ever seized so that it rubs the disk all the time?

6th Sep 2009, 08:53

Bought an 85 XBR 500 early this year, the smile has not left my face since.

Reliable, easy to ride and fuel efficient - will go from one side of Ireland to the other on 1 tank of gas.

Real head turner - sound, looks, the big single with the 2 exhausts.

Easy to maintain, what more can I say... got to go for a drive up the mountains.

18th Dec 2009, 15:53

I also bought one as a winter hack. Nothing has gone wrong with it, although it is 22 years old. I am so impressed I have had the frame blasted and powder coated, and hope to keep it going for many years to come.

3rd Apr 2010, 14:47

I also agree. I have two of these bikes. The first one I ran for 15 years with no problems. Due to age and daily use it looks a bit tatty in places.

I then purchased a mint one last year with only 29k on the clock. These are truly excellent bikes and are cheap to run and fantastic to ride. Honda know how to build motorcycles!

Rock on XBR500.