1986 Honda XBR500 from Australia

Summary:

Nice, light and maneuverable bike; a pleasure to ride

Only problem so far was a snapped clutch cable - not much fun in peak hour traffic. Very easy and cheap to replace. No local spares, but bought from Poland on eBay.

General Comments:

Found the BMW a bit too heavy now that I am getting older (72!), but still enjoy a weekend ride and it's better for commuting to work when the weather is kind.

Bought the bike as a grey import to Australia. The import guy told me that it came from Germany, and the last owner sold it as he thought he was too old to ride - at 70; which was my age at the time.

The bike had done over 80K and it had obviously been reconditioned to a very high standard - it looked and ran like new.

I find the handling suites my riding style on the open road and in traffic, and I think it's the best bike I have owned. Have lost count how many bikes over the years. My first was a Berini moped while I was still at school.

The looks of the bike suit the current fashion of cafe racers in Australia, and the electric start is appreciated and commented on by the Yamaha cafe racer owners who only have kick start.

Intend to keep this bike for when I retire - which is well overdue!

Review Date: 4th February, 2016

1986 Honda XBR500 from United Kingdom

Summary:

A cheap, fun, 80s classic that's rewarding to own and ride. Great little bike :-)

Silencers were pretty shot when I bought the bike, so fitted a 2>1 Predator stainless system.

Side panels re-sprayed, otherwise a smart bike.

Recently failed it M.O.T. on the rear brake - wheel spun up on a lathe and lightly skimmed the hub braking surface, new shoes fitted, and passed its re-test.

General Comments:

A fairly simple 500 thumper that is great fun to ride on sunny Sunday mornings. Long journeys are probably not that comfortable, and with stock bars and mirrors, the rear view is hopeless.

The bike has much charm and character - I'll not be parting company with it in the foreseeable future...

Review Date: 4th April, 2015

1988 Honda XBR500 from United Kingdom

Summary:

Brilliant, reliable, excellent bike

The only thing that has ever went wrong with this bike, is when I first bought it and had to have the rear brake drum re-lined.

General Comments:

This is the best bike I have ever had. Would not and will not part with it. She goes where you want her too, and does everything you ask.

I prefer this to my Triumph Trophy and my Honda VTR1000.

If you want reliability, fun and good handling, this is the bike. Just remember the brakes are not up to modern day standards... however the engine braking compensates for this.

Review Date: 18th November, 2012

1986 Honda XBR500 from Australia

Summary:

Sweet ride to own

I need help. The bike was tipped over by a dork who can't park and has since not started. The first time when I started, it started fine with the choke on, and once I put down the choke, it completely died. And haven't been able to restart it since. Any thoughts on fixing it would be much appreciated as I would like to keep the bike.

General Comments:

Other than the mishap with the dork who tipped it and have caused the bike not running, the 4 months I did ride it was great! Although it was an old bike, it would start every time without a problem, and it was great on the road with virtually no issues with fuel efficiency.

I was doing 300km (?) per tank on about AUD$10... Now that's value for money. The motorcycle is good all round, but not ideal for long rides.

Review Date: 17th December, 2009

1985 Honda XBR500 from United Kingdom

Summary:

Buy one before the classic bike nuts discover just how good it is

Nothing.

General Comments:

After having to sell my Triumph Trident due to hip problems last year, I was looking for a fun light weight bike to use at weekends and trips to work.

I found this XBR in a small bike garage in Exmouth. I paid £650 for it with 12 month MOT. The bike was tidy but needed a good clean.

I can really recommend these bikes, as I don't think I've had so much fun on any bike I've ever owned, and I have had 15.

It can run rings around larger and newer bikes on A & B roads; just keep the revs up and your knee down.

Review Date: 11th November, 2008

23rd Dec 2009, 06:59

XBR a classic? Surely not one of those huckery looking things with the comstar wheels and odd styling.

Why even bother when there are GB 500's out there?

4th Apr 2015, 21:53

Don't underestimate the XBR500 my friend; yes the GB500 will likely be more sought after, but that doesn't mean the XBR won't become a classic bike.

Look at any classic bike dealer and you'll see all manner of turnips rated as classic! The beauty is in the eye of the beholder; it may not be pretty to you, but I love the old thumper...

I agree with the original post, tuck one of these away now while they are cheap as chips :-)

22nd Jun 2015, 09:27

Not all had the lighter comstars. I'm lucky, I got both.