1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD from United Kingdom

Summary:

For its size it's great

Can't find any, and I've been over this bike looking.

General Comments:

This bike is a US custom import.

I bought it off a guy that had had it in his front room for 10 years; must be mad.

I put a new battery on and changed the plugs, and it runs a treat. Changed the fork seals this year and it flew through the MoT.

I'm 63 and have ridden bikes on and off for 45 years, and I would be happy to have another one, but they don't make them any more.

Review Date: 11th August, 2014

1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD from United States of America

Summary:

Great bike for the beginner

Switch fan, radiator.

I had this bike since 1986, but it was sitting in the garage for a good 20 years.

General Comments:

It was my first bike, never ridden any other before.

Loved it in the first 2 years, only put 3700 miles on it. Got married, had no time for it, so it was sitting in the garage for about 20 years. I would start it every year and ride it around the block, but that's it.

Now the kids are big, I went back to ride it.

Because it was sitting for a while, the radiator got clogged, I had to clean the cooling system, and the switch fan wasn't working right (it was overheating), from sitting all this time. Changed new plugs, and voila, a brand new bike again!!!

Other than that, no problem at all. I'm a tall guy 6"4, the bike is little now for me and my girl, but I still ride it in the city streets.

Review Date: 25th March, 2010

29th Mar 2010, 09:25

They were nifty little bikes!

I wish we could still get bike like the ones manufactured in the 70's & 80's.

I've got a couple of Yamahas from the era parked in my garage.

I wish that Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha & Suzuki still manufactured "regular" street bikes. You know the ones that didn't look like racers or choppers. Just nice street bikes like the old Honda CBs, the Suzuki GS's etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the Customs, but bikes with "normal" seats and without "ape hanger" handlebars were more comfortable for the average rider, in my opinion.

1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD from United States of America

Summary:

Biggest 'little bike' ever built

Had to replace handbrake indicator switch, cost $20 new.

General Comments:

I'm the 3rd owner of this bike, and the only repair made so far is the brake switch, very reliable.

This is my first street bike, but I'm a life long dirt bike rider and I was surprised by the power and speed demonstrated by this small engine. I have had no problem keeping up with friends on much larger motorcycles, and can even outpace a few.

The only negative aspect of this bike is that it's a little tight for space when I have my wife on the back, other than that it's the perfect bike for me.

Review Date: 18th November, 2008

1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD from United States of America

Summary:

Sport-bike quickness and handling, great cruiser styling, reliable and ROCKS!

Not a single thing.

General Comments:

I just bought this bike - had been sitting in a humid garage for 7 years, and was COVERED in rust. The cost of a few brillo pads, some chrome polish, and about 2 hours general maintenance (checking hoses, wires, etc.) was all the time and money I've put into this bike. Talk about the reliability of a well executed design!!

It now looks (almost) new again, and runs like it just came off the showroom floor. Accelerates quickly due to the "1/2 Ninja" adapted liquid cooled mini v-twin power plant.

Belt drive is responsive and quiet, brakes apply quickly and evenly, delivering great stopping power. Rips on the highway at around 100mph with 2500 rpm to spare in 6th gear (I did replace stock airbox with some cheaper aftermarket oiled paper filters and drilled some small holes in muffler tip - boosted about 8 horsepower)

I wish they still made these!!! Awesome machine!

Review Date: 12th June, 2007