Kawasaki ER-5 Reviews

Year of manufacture2003
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2009
Previous motorcycleHonda CB900F

Summary:

Good Dog!..That's it, a good dog

Nothing.

Brakes a bit spongy and leaky front forks.. Not the end of the world stuff.

General Comments:

What a cracking little bike! No, it won't set your backside on fire. Not the most economical bike in the world either. Not the best bike in the world.

That said, it is, perhaps, a modern day Superdream! No. The Superdream sounded much, much better.

The ER500 is a reliable and worthy bike. If you work on it, it'll 'go' really quite well, provided you keep it in the right gear.. An excellent bike for those who have just passed their test and want something with a bit of 'poke'... It has a 'bit' of poke and will cruise at 80-90 all day!

The ER is not a bike you 'love' it is a bike you respect. A reliable workhorse that won't turn heads. The rear brake is feeble, especially two up, but if you're honest about it, it's a very good bike!

In the hands of someone that knows what they're about, it'll 'go' very well indeed!

Rust! Watch out for that stuff. The swing arm is vulnerable. Indicators could be bigger.

Review Date: 14th May, 2009

2005 Kawasaki ER-5 from United Kingdom

Year of manufacture2005
First year of ownership2005
Previous motorcycleYamaha SR125 SE

Summary:

Great commuting bike

Water pump new seals at 8000 miles.

Clutch thrust bearing at 8400 miles.

Regulator rectifier at 8999 miles.

Starter motor bush at 8999 miles.

General Comments:

Nice bike for commuting, handles fantastic.

The seat is terrible for long journeys.

Very expensive for spare parts.

Would you buy another motorcycle from this manufacturer? No

Review Date: 11th March, 2008

2004 Kawasaki ER-5 from United Kingdom

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
First year of ownership2007
Most recent year of ownership2007
Previous motorcycleZhongyu ZY-125-2

Summary:

Great first bike after my test

Nothing.

General Comments:

My first bigger bike, and it's great. I tried about 4 or 5 different bikes of mid-sized engines from the dealer, and this one was the best. Single cylinder bikes tend to vibrate a lot, whereas this is very smooth.

It starts on the button every time, and the mpg is good. I get 55mpg in town, and 65+ mpg using faster roads (50mph+).

It's very stable and easily manoeuvred in town, and given I'm a new rider, it gave me confidence at speed. Not pushed it beyond 75mph, as it gets very windy, but it's great at that speed.

Only negatives, the seat gets a bit uncomfortable after an hour, and though I got a top box for it, there are very few pannier systems out there. Givi stopped selling their's, so I ended up having to fabricate brackets for an old Krauser one.

Its also OK for pillion, but again, not long distance. My wife says the seat is quite hard, and there is little room to move around.

Glad I got it!

Review Date: 18th October, 2007

1999 Kawasaki ER-5 from United Kingdom

Model year1999
Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2004
Previous motorcycleKawasaki Z250

Summary:

I really liked this bike and it was very reliable

Choke cable snapped after 4 years.

General Comments:

The weight of the ER5 seems to be quite low down, so it is very easy to manoeuvre, I am only 5ft 2" and had no problems moving it around.

It also has a low seat, making it easier for me to touch the ground!

I generally garaged the bike from November until March, unless I had problems with my car, but it would start every Spring without fail. Initially I used an fuel additive as unless you drain all the petrol before garaging it, the petrol becomes a bit lumpy.

I used a 'Scottoiler' to keep the chain lubricated and in good condition.

I also had a headlamp fairing fitted as this cut down the strain on my neck on the motorway!

The fastest I went on the bike was 110mph, though not with sportsbike acceleration, however it managed fairly easily. Legal speed limits are easy and the acceleration is very smooth.

Review Date: 9th January, 2006

23rd May 2007, 06:12

I have this bike for one year now, bought it used, 1999 year model with ~10000 miles on odometer. All in all I like it: it has very low fuel consumption (~4L/100km if you ride not too fast, around 100km/h), quite comfortable riding position and nice handling. It actually goes ~190km/h (120mph), without any mods. I also like its acceleration, but high gear roll-on from low-rpm takes ages, you have to down-shift a gear or two.

What about reliability, I can't be fully objective because I bought it used, but most parts seem to be medium quality: I had to change one rear shock absorber, which leaked, clutch and speedometer cables. After 8 years there is some rust and oxidation on metal parts, but not much.