1973 Kawasaki F7 175 from United States of America

Summary:

If you can find a nice one, BUY IT!!!

Cables, chain and sprockets, petcock, bulbs, float needle and seat, battery and clutch plates; nothing other than normal wear items.

General Comments:

The F7 has a very healthy "Bullet Proof" engine and trans that refuse to die, coupled to a strong frame with nicely adjustable suspension and steering geometry. Unfortunately in its day suspension parts on all Japanese bikes were basically junk! So even though the F7 handled as well or better than the other Japanese bikes of its day, it feels like it has a Pogostick suspension when compared to modern bikes! On a smooth track it will hang pretty well with the new bikes, but when the going gets rough, be prepared to get bucked off LOL.

The engine is the #1 strong point of the F7; it is a rotary valve 2 stroke producing 21 horse power at 7000 RPM and stump pulling torque, which is why it would smoke most of the 250 Enduros of its day and probably most of today's as well!

I would love to drop one of these engines in a modern long travel frame with disc brakes; it would be awesome!

Review Date: 20th June, 2016

1974 Kawasaki F7 175 from United States of America

Summary:

Best bike I have ever ridden

General Comments:

Very good handling for such an old bike. I was wanting something to ride till I can get a KX125, but I love this bike so much.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2010

1972 Kawasaki F7 175 from United States of America

Summary:

A vintage bike, that has too much life in it to take to the junkyard

It needs a new rear sprocket and a clutch pack.

General Comments:

This bike was given to me by a friend. I cleaned the fuel filter and carb and it barked to life.

I've had a Kawasaki KE100 in the past, and it was very reliable and a ball to whip down some trails, so I'm anxious to fix the clutch on the F7 175. I did ride the F7 down the road after getting it running and it's noisy, but appears to have a lot of torque. When I get the new clutch pack in it, I should feel much more torque.

I'm considering restoring this bike. Anyone out there have/had one? I'd like to read your comments.

Review Date: 16th March, 2007

19th Mar 2007, 19:28

Hi! I too have a F7 that was given to me. This bike was given to me by a friend. The bike had sat for years, and when I finally got it running, it was all the bike I needed. I weigh about 220lbs and the terrain is Ozark like hilly.

I am in the process of getting it back on the road. I left it outside about 2 years thinking that the engine would be sealed from the moisture. The piston seized in the cylinder and I have just discovered that the wrist pin is seized. I do not really know which way to go because money is always a concern. I very seldom needed to go faster that 55 mph, but the bike always pulled me through hill and trail. I fear that the clutch is also just about gone.

Thanks.