Kawasaki GPX750R Reviews

Year of manufacture1988
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleHonda CX500

Summary:

Very cheap to buy and insure

Clutch stopped working.

Forks leaking.

Left hand indicators stopped working.

General Comments:

I now own a Kawasaki GPX750R, as a bigger bike is better for me, as I weigh nineteen stone.

The price of it was £450, and that is cheap, even if it is a 1988 model. The seller dropped the price from the £600. It was advertised on eBay. He took my lower offer straight away. I have had the bike for just over a two months now, so this review is of my initial impressions, in order to help anyone looking on eBay for a cheap bike.

It is black, a Kawasaki GPX750R as that is what the stickers on the bike say, but it is called a ZX750-F2 according to the MOT and registration certificate for some reason. It was described as being in average condition, which is easy to argue about. The bike came with an MOT until July 2011; that is just about a year, so at least it should be road worthy you would think.

The bike has a stainless steel exhaust (4 into 1), but someone has fallen off the bike, as the exhaust is dented and scratched.

It has a new chain, but the sprockets have not been changed and the chain needs adjustment, even if the MOT tester was supposed to have said the chain should be loose.

I am told the bike has new brake seals, but the brake pads are well used and so not new.

Oil and filters were said to have been changed, but the oil level was very low and needed a top up of half a litre. The oil looks dirty, so the question is when was it changed? The sump plug had been over tightened, so could be unscrewed by hand and cannot be re tightened. Had to seal it up after the oil change.

Clutch was jerky, and was also leaking; this had to be fixed as well; total cost was about £100.

The bike does have good tyres with plenty of wear left in them though. It has braided brake lines, so the originals must have been rotten. It is then a very cheap bike, not only to buy, but also to insure, as that was only £95.

There are plenty of parts and mod available everywhere. I had to replace the front forks; it cost £40 plus nearly two hours labour to do it. Annoying, as the same make and model of bike in perfect condition went on e Bay for £600 last week.

Another moot point is the top speed; it is restricted to 180.0 km/h (112 mph), yes restricted! Get near that speed and it is like you have just run out of petrol. I first noticed it trying to keep up with a BMW. I pulled over to the side as the previous owner had told me the carburettors were out of balance. But this seemed strange as the bike will do 60 mph in first gear without any problems, and there is also no backfiring. I even took it to a garage to get a quote on having the carburettors sorted out; he wanted four hours labour.

I was also told the engine was too quiet, which seemed strange, although he refused to do any work on it. It was then I went online and found out that all bikes sold in Japan are restricted.

The good point about this restricted performance is the bike has never been thrashed at high speed. Judging by the quietness of the engine, it has years of life in it.

I have not read a bad review of this particular model, and it seems even when not restricted, they are very reliable. I wonder if this is as they were originally built for endurance racing?

The few months of ownership have not been trouble free, what with the replacement forks and clutch leaking; one wonders how did it pass an MOT a few weeks previously?

I keep being suckered buying bikes on ebay. This is the third one. You can read about the others in my other reviews.

Review Date: 21st October, 2010

14th Mar 2011, 14:41

It may have been cheap to buy and insure, but it is not cheap to run. It cost me £1500 to travel 2000 miles. That is all in, including petrol, or 75p a mile; that is the real cost of ownership.

1989 Kawasaki GPX750R from Spain

Model year1989
Year of manufacture1988
First year of ownership2007
Most recent year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired21000 kilometres
Most recent distance39000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleHonda VFR750

Summary:

Well designed piece of machinery

Alternator belt snapped on it.

General Comments:

Before I had this bike, I had a 1989 Honda VFR 750, which I sold to a friend. You might think bad idea. Well, I had to as I, rather we, were having a family.

A couple of years went by, and I bought myself a cheap 800 euro GPX 750R.

Here's a thing, while my GPX went on and on, my old VFR got worse and worse. I put the VFR's problems down to climate. I live in Spain, and I sold my Spanish VFR to my Scots friend. I drove it all the way up to Scotland for him, and took a plane back. Never sell a bike to a friend. The VFR caused him headaches, and although he never said it directly, he felt conned by me.

Back to the GPX 750 R. The GPX sunny days in the mountains, driving between wheat fields shrouded by deep blue sky, leaning into beautiful corners in the Pyrenees, joy after joy. A solid dependable friend. The bike has taken me to see Rossi at the circuit at Catalunya, and I've been to France, the coast. Yes, you can't tear round corners like a new 600, but with a little calculation and risk left to your teenage years gone by, you can have a magical time on this old timer. Look, it does do a genuine 140 mph or 220 kph.

Read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance", and this bike will look after you if you look after it. Sure, there are lots of cool bikes out there, but there is always one or two that go really well with you, and this one goes just fine with me.

Review Date: 26th September, 2010