1987 Kawasaki GPZ600R from United Kingdom

Summary:

For its age, it's the mutts nuts

Clutch failure.

Fork oil seals blowing / leaking regularly.

High carb maintenance.

Hates cold weather.

Gear selection when hot is hit and miss.

General Comments:

Keeps up with modern bikes.

16 inch wheels don't help cornering.

Rear wheel slide on braking is cool.

Rear suspension is no good for me when I have a pillion rider, but I weigh in at 17 stone, so I shouldn't really complain.

Good fun to ride though.

Review Date: 25th February, 2010

1987 Kawasaki GPZ600R from Australia

Summary:

A great little bike, well worth a look

Nothing has really gone wrong with the bike.

I bought and put in a new cam chain when I first purchased the bike, but I knew it needed it when I bought it.

I have had a puncture and needed to replace the rear brake pads, oh, and the speedo cable, but that's it.

The bike is in great condition. I have had two of these previously, but this one is far superior to the others in condition. I had a guy ask if it was new at the lights the other day in fact, "Not quite" I told him.

General Comments:

As I have said, this is my third GPZ600r and for the money I think you would be hard pressed to get a better bang for your buck.

Including the other two previous GPZ's, I would have clocked up over 50,000km's on this model bike and find it to be comfortable, economical, cheap to own and run, and a great little bike. It's not the fastest thing out there, not by a long shot, but plenty quick enough to have fun, and in the right hands will not get to left behind by newer stuff either. I am very happy with it overall.

Review Date: 21st February, 2008

30th Nov 2008, 18:44

I had an 1985 one.

Bought used, frame was bent a bit, but it didn't bother me then :) Was a great step-up from a 350 guzzi.

I loved riding that bike. Probably one of the most underrated bikes around.

Engine is lovely, averaging about 50mpg. Seat was a bit on the restraining side, forcing the rider into one position that couldn't be changed.

Loved the handling, brakes (AVDS... stoppies anyone?).

After about 10,000 km (about 68kkm on the clock) the con rod bairing went. Took a while to get a new crank/conrods and bearings. But I never could completely remove all the metal shavings from that bearing from the engine. No matter how many times and what I cleaned the engine with.

Turns out the reason was a bad/weak oil pump. So my advice would be:

Get one, they're great, but PLEASE get a new oil pump installed. They can't be that expensive (got a used one from a gpz 550... it's the same one).

25th Apr 2009, 17:09

Much much underrated bike. Mine is 23 yrs old now 32,000 miles and goes great. Been out with a GSXR1000k2 6 times; I found it hard to understand but the gixer just cannot leave me. Maybe it's down to riders on the corners, but what about the straights, I DON'T KNOW? Or maybe bikes have not advanced as much as I thought.

Anyway, not had more than 50mpg out of it yet. I put a Nexus exhaust and 2 new Battalax tyres on it, this has improved it lots, next the brakes.

Sure to become a classic. Full of character and goes like stink when above 6,500 revs. It screams like something wild and I've seen 145 on speedo with more to go. Maybe it's just mine, it has been well looked after.

Oh by the way, the gixer rider drives mental fast in a car, so I can only say his riding is probably a lot better than average

1988 Kawasaki GPZ600R from United Kingdom

Summary:

Fantastic first big bike for the shorter rider

General Comments:

This is my first real bike since passing my test.

I have been on quite a few bikes, but this one is amazing. It's perfect for shorter riders like myself. You get an aching back if you go on long journeys if you don't stop regularly.

The biggest downfall is the weight. You need to be able to manoeuver the bike without the engine on (e.g. reversing into or out of garage). Other than that, it's amazing, and great for commuting.

Review Date: 10th July, 2006

15th Oct 2006, 14:32

I agreed with you, it's one of the best bikes I ever had.. but the fact of where I'm staying now, I seem to have problem maintaining it.. In terms of parts etc.. I wish to know more GPZ600r owners, at least to find out more about the bike's part etc.. Sadly now for a couple of months already, my bike is stranded because it overheated recently, and it's so terribly hard to find the gasket, starter, water pump etc..

Well for all the GPZ600r owner...I still proudly says that IT IS STILL ONE OF THE BEST BIKES EVER INVENTED >>>> Chao.

1985 Kawasaki GPZ600R from Australia

Summary:

Tremendous commuter or for a weekend blast

Seat was badly worn, but cheap to repair.

Very rough when cold, but you learn to warm her up thoroughly, then she runs very smoothly.

Hard to start when COLD if battery is not in top condition.

Carby jets needed replacing at 83000Km.

General Comments:

A really nice bike to ride.

Handles well in all conditions including the world's roughest roads and ugliest corners.

Easy bike to work on.

A bike decades before its time.

Review Date: 6th April, 2005

1985 Kawasaki GPZ600R from New Zealand

Summary:

Lots of fun, but lethally quick

Hard starting when I bought it, replaced plugs and battery with no effect, turned out to be the tappets set too tight.

General Comments:

Awesome takeoff, excellent handling and braking.

Really uncomfortable for anyone over 180 cm tall.

Sounds great.

Not much good in town traffic except for overtaking. Fine on winding hill roads and motorways.

Review Date: 12th December, 2004

7th Jan 2005, 06:32

Not only uncomfortable for tall riders, VERY uncomfortable for old riders! I used mine to commute to work for several years (only about twenty minutes) and would inevitably get cramp due to the riding position. I'd also get sore wrists because the anti dive system lets every bump go straight through as you brake for junctions, not very nice in potholed Liverpool. But then there's the weekends, Wahaay!