Kawasaki Ninja 250 Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance1519 kilometres
Previous motorcycleKawasaki ZX-11

Summary:

The Kawasaki 250R Ninja is great fun, and provides excellent value for money!!

Nothing has gone wrong yet, but the break-in-procedure of the engine is still going on...

I have hit a false neutral between the 5th and 6th gear, on average once every 50 km, roughly. This seems to have improved after an oil change at the first, 1000 km, service.

General Comments:

It is very fun to ride, nimble, and surprisingly fast taking the limited engine size into account. Up till now I have an average of about 64 miles per gallon, on my daily 80 kilometres commute (0-10 degrees C), in mid-Norway.

I'm very impressed with this bike, so far, even though I have previously owned big bikes, including a Kawasaki ZX 11.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2012

30th Jul 2013, 06:50

The 250R has now about 11700 km (about 7300 miles) on the meter, and the engine is running even better than last year.

I stuck to the official break-in procedure in the manual, though I know there are plenty of discussions about how it should be done.

I experienced up to several daily false neutrals during my 80 km daily commuting, but these have become much rarer as the bike has been in use for more than a year.

Lots of pleasure using this bike.

15th Sep 2013, 14:42

Update: Today the 250R passed 14 000 km on the meter. Still no problems, not even a broken light bulb. The original IRC tires are also still on the bike, and not worn out... The bike continues to impress me...

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 from Canada

Model year2008
Year of manufacture2007
First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2009
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance3500 kilometres
Previous motorcycleSuzuki LS 650 Savage

Summary:

Great little 250

Nothing so far... (in 3500 KM).

General Comments:

I bought a new Kawasaki Ninja 250r in April 2008. I have had it one year now and think it’s a great bike.

Description: Liquid-cooled four-stroke twin cylinder, 249cc. The 2008 models come in red, green or black (the US also got blue). Six-speed transmission, chain drive, cast wheels with bias-ply tires, and a single disc brake on both the front wheel and the back.

The seat is about 30 inches high, with a large 15 liter, maybe 28 HP, 16 ft-lbs of torque, and seems to get decent mileage - about 55 mpg. Although the top speed is about 150 KPH, that's really pushing the little engine. It feels much more at ease at about 100 KPH or so. It makes for a nice little backroad cruiser, although I don’t know if I’d want to ride it all day on a busy American Interstate.

Pricing:

Inexpensive: In April 2008 I bought mine new with zero mileage for $4249 CND - about $4000 US at that time. I used to ride a Kawasaki EX-500 (Ninja) sportbike. The 500 was a pretty good bike, and this 250 reminds me a lot of that Kawasaki. The little Ninja looks nice if you like sportbikes. I like the solid red color, and I also like the lack of goofy racer-boy graphics.

It's fairly light (about 355 pounds with a full tank of gas) and easy to steer. The handling feels very similar to my old Kawasaki 500. The brakes are very good, and stop the bike very smoothly without any drama. It starts easily with the choke on. After just a few seconds the choke can be eased off and the bike will run fine. The clutch is very nice; it has a wide gradient of 'grab' and is great. The transmission is typical for a Kawasaki, it feels a bit notchy but is easy to flick through the gears..

It's not startling fast, but I can race away from a stop faster than most cars. I find that in 6th gear the engine is running about 7000 RPM at 100 KPH. The redline starts at 13500 RPM.

The mirrors are typical for a sportbike; they have a narrow angle of view, so you get a really good look at your shoulders…

So far I've only rode the bike for about four or five hours in one sitting, but the front seat is okay. The passenger seat is small and I suspect isn't as comfortable. At 5' 8" I find the seating position, foot pegs, and handlebars to be well-placed for me.

Review Date: 12th May, 2009