1980 Suzuki GS850 from Canada

Summary:

Best Bike EVER. But you wouldn't want one, leave them for me to buy

Stator & regulator broke the year I bought it.

Brake pads replaced a few times.

Rear tire difficult to replace due to rusted exhaust mounting bolts.

Battery a few times due to broken stator.

Speedometer.

General Comments:

Aside from the charging system this bike is pretty solid, no major repairs needed.

Excellent touring bike. It's been Coast (NW) to Coast (NE) to Coast (SW) of North America, and my commuter bike for work for 7 years.

Please bug Suzuki to reissue this bike, I would buy it without hesitation (note speedometer cable broke at 54000 km and has not been fixed properly, this bike has been well over 100,000 kilometers with NO MAJOR WORK NEEDED!!!)

Review Date: 7th March, 2008

1980 Suzuki GS850 from United Kingdom

Summary:

A solid workhorse with bags of character

Head gasket replaced at 20000 miles.

Electronic ignition replaced with a Dyna unit at 22000 miles.

Front and rear springs replaced at 25000 miles.

Seat cover replaced at 25000 miles.

Tank re-painted at 29000 miles.

General Comments:

I have loved every minute of owning this bike (GS850GT).

A great machine for touring or long journeys (takes a few miles to warm up).

Heavy, well-built and solid feel - should last forever if looked after. Bulletproof motor, which gives good torque at low revs and ample power at higher speeds. Sounds good as well!

Handles well with a passenger or heavy load.

A bit of a handful on twisty roads, but at ease on the highway.

Shaft drive is well-designed - no problems as long as you grease the splines every time the tyre is changed.

Gearbox is smooth - don't even need to use the clutch when running up the gears.

Cheap to run - 55 to 60 mpg.

Who could ask for more?

Review Date: 15th February, 2007

9th Nov 2014, 00:26

I have two of these bikes, a '79 and an '82. The '79 blew a head gasket at 70 thousand miles and I parked it and bought the '82, which I ride every day. I've seen no mention in the various comments regarding valve adjustment. I've gone 15 thousand on the '82 without tending to this, and it's still running as smooth as ever, but I'm thinking I ought to do it soon.

I disagree with the comment that these bikes get "50 or 60 MPG". I normally get 38, day in and day out, mix of freeway and surface street driving. I could believe someone's getting low to mid 40's with a perfectly tuned bike and not a lot of stop and go.

These are really great bullet-proof motorcycles.

1980 Suzuki GS850 from United States of America

Summary:

This should be one word; perfect!

At about 3000 miles in 1980 the stator went out. That is all that has broken in 27 years.

General Comments:

This is the best motorcycle I have owned to date, and I have had plenty. If it were to be reproduced tomorrow, I would be the first in line to get a new one.

Review Date: 7th February, 2007

27th Feb 2012, 02:08

I envy you guys. I would love to have a Suzy GS850. Here, it's extinct. And due to government protocol, we cannot import in old, old bikes.